What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ian Roberts

I remember he was a projectile in defence.

This.

I remember him absolutely flattening Jason Smith (yes that Jason Smith) on Smith's origin debut in 1994 (Game 3). He just launched himself like a missile, and his head slammed into Smith's and KO'd him.

Peter Jackson on kiwi commentary was going off like nuts about it. And said about Smith: "he's tough, he's a queenslander. He'll get up and play on. Not like the Blues, they're going off for a rest" (Roberts went off concussed, and came back with head gear. Smith never returned). Darren Smith replaced him and Roberts almost took him out with a big hit too.

I also recall him destroying Dan Stains in one Origin game - Game 1 1990. Just obliterated him.

He was my Dad's favourite player. He was devastated when he found out Roberts was gay. I kept teasing him about it, and he never got over it. But really, he was one player I had a lot of respect for.

moffla

Bench
Doesn't seem like his career was that important to him, more like a footnote in his life.

Which is a massive shame. Playing days should have been the best days of his life but with all the bullshit he went through, he was unable to enjoy that as much.

nöyd

Staff member
I just saw him on "Sterlo" and want to give him a huge wrap. One of the bravest men to ever play our game in many ways. Thoroughly impressed with him.

and iirc whenever he got the MOTM award he would donate it to the local childrens hospital for wherever the game was played. the john hunter hospital got a few cheques in the early 90's whenever manly played the knights at marathon stadium (or whatever it was called back then).

I remember him absolutely flattening Jason Smith .

never heard of him

Cletus

First Grade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM4HMgB9aYI

4:53 on.

Violence is never the answer.

Ever.

Wow that's bullshit, Jack comes over the top to get Ridge then get's smashed by Roberts. Violence begets violence, if you don't like it don't kick it off. And Chris Murphy was his lawyer:roll:.

Anyway Roberts is a great guy, he was on Australian Story a little while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54roNUyUcT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTVi2D1JEhk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pxLcKvcLvg

horrie hastings

First Grade
Garry Jack got everything he deserved that day when Ian Roberts belted him after what that grub Jack did to John Mackay in a mid week cup match years ago, a late hit on Mackay when he didn't have the ball, left Mackay in traction in hospital and not even a penalty.

As for Ian Roberts, I remember when he had the delicatessen in Darlinghurst and also knew him through a couple of fund raisers I was involved in, very nice and humble guy.

When I was 10, I met him and got his autograph. He was the biggest human being I'd ever seen up until that point in my life. He was a colossus.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
The toughest man ever to play the game IMO..

And he did it back in the "good old days" where foul play, and "anything goes sledging" were just about encouraged..

I just saw him on "Sterlo" and want to give him a huge wrap. One of the bravest men to ever play our game in many ways. Thoroughly impressed with him.

If beating on a bloke who is being held by 4 of your team mates and putting a willy in your bum are the determining factors for bravery, then yes, he is as brave as they come.

carcharias

Immortal
He deserves to burn in hell

How can you people stick up for this disgusting piece of shit?
Seriously ???

He played for Manly FFS!!!

Latest posts