What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ian Roberts

Wizardman

First Grade
I just saw him on "Sterlo" and want to give him a huge wrap. One of the bravest men to ever play our game in many ways. Thoroughly impressed with him.

OVP

Coach
Yep he's definitely one of the all time greats, and not just for his rugby league skills. A true champ.

I miss the way he used to tackle ... when you got hit by Ian Roberts, you stayed hit.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
As he has proven, he is about twenty-five years ahead of his time. Remarkable really but in keeping with Rugby League traditions on social issues e.g Beetson indigenous captain of Australia.

Yes he is gay, but never made a fuss about it or let it define him. Always let his on field play speak for itself, and then over time went on to become a strong advocate for the LGB community.

Class act.

catweasel

Juniors
Yep he's definitely one of the all time greats, and not just for his rugby league skills. A true champ.

I miss the way he used to tackle ... when you got hit by Ian Roberts, you stayed hit.

How do you know?

Vic Mackey

Referee
I was telling my Mrs 'you wouldn't believe it by his mannerisms but this guy was probably the toughest and most aggressive bloke I've seen seen play.'

Back in the 80s/early 90s there weren't a lot of guys who hit like trucks but could then run over the top of you. Sure you had guys like Gillespie, Lidner etc who could flatten you but few of them could hurt you with ball in hand too. Roberts was just as dangerous with the ball as he was without it.

Yoda

Juniors
I saw him play against the Bulldogs very early on in his career at Belmore. There was a lot of hype about him being a future star of the game. The Bulldogs forward pack consisted of Kelly, Tunks, Gillespie, Folkes etc and they absolutely bashed him the entire game but he kept getting up and from memory, won the MOM that day. Respect.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Was too young to remember his days at Souths, but I remember his playing days at Manly and used to rip into teams forward packs. Even against good pack of forwards.

One of those "before his time" players. As Vic said, was just as solid running with the pill as he was without it.

POPEYE

Coach
One of the many great players whose existence verifies the choosing of just a handful of 'immortals' as the f**king pathetic money grabbing exercise that it is

Wizardman

First Grade
Saw him absolutely flatten a pom in a test match over there.
It was huge.

My fondest memory of Ian Roberts was when he played in a Emus match against Wigan in the 1994 Kangaroo tour. He came off the bench and gave two of the biggest hits you'll ever see in two consecutive tackles. Brutal brilliance.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smashed the shit out of Garry Jack one day. Got sued over it later too.

T-Boon

Coach
I wonder how he would fit into todays game.
I remember he was a projectile in defence, would often run up out of the line in order to really confront the ball runner. I think he would force a lot of dropped ball, but he would hate the tackling of today the emphasis on stoping, holding, wrestling.
I also think he would not accept running 10 decoys each game.

I wonder how he would fit into todays game.
I remember he was a projectile in defence, would often run up out of the line in order to really confront the ball runner. I think he would force a lot of dropped ball, but he would hate the tackling of today the emphasis on stoping, holding, wrestling.
I also think he would not accept running 10 decoys each game.

Don't need to stop/hold/wrestle if you iron the f**ker out.

Latest posts