What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipmunk

Coach
In answer to this and your earlier question, the thing I suggested about a month ago was for the NRL to guarantee funding equal to the average net contribution of the Leagues Club over the past 3 years. This is nothing like the $8m being bandied about in the press, because the NRL Grant to Leagues Club is being treated as a revenue of the Leagues Club (as are gate receipts). It seems more in the order of $1.5-$2m. Then appoint some bloke like John Quayle in a chair role and call for tenders for a small mgmt team to run the operation, with the key guys having incentive compo built-in with respect to improvement onfield and off-field performance. At the end of X years, the PLC have the right to match the best offer for the NRL franchise.

The big problem with my plan is current player contracts, which are with the Parra NRL Club (presumably) and cannot be assigned without express agreement.

But in terms of funding.....yeh, the NRL up to a pre-determined limit. And obviously the delineation of responsibility for Juniors etc would also have to be thought through.

So you're suggesting the NRL would just take back the licence of an organisation that is probably in a better financial position than 3/4 of the organisations who have an NRL licence and then commits to all of the current funding of the Parramatta NRL Team? And the current licence holder just walks away for a specified period of time?

I wouldn't think the player contracts would be an issue, because what your suggesting is just removing the Parramatta NRL Team from the Parramatta Leagues Club, so the body which has all the player contracts, PNRL, would still be the same organisation.

emjaycee

Coach
So you're suggesting the NRL would just take back the licence of an organisation that is probably in a better financial position than 3/4 of the organisations who have an NRL licence and then commits to all of the current funding of the Parramatta NRL Team? And the current licence holder just walks away for a specified period of time?

I wouldn't think the player contracts would be an issue, because what your suggesting is just removing the Parramatta NRL Team from the Parramatta Leagues Club, so the body which has all the player contracts, PNRL, would still be the same organisation.

The NRL has no means to remove the PNRL P/L company from the ownership of the PLC. All they have the power to do is revoke the NRL licence issued to the PNRL P/L.

The PNRL are a wholly owned subsidiary of the PLC, so the NRL can't simply force the PLC to give away the PNRL.

Yep, I'm suggesting that (in the absence of a better plan) the NRL take the right to run the footy team away from the muppets who have demonstrated quite emphatically that they can't do it (or at least threaten to do so). Give the PLC some time to sort itself out without the interference of day-to-day football team performance. As it stands, anyone who tries to take long-term decisions will get whiteanted by the selfish, short-sighted, local heroes of every political leaning who have collectively done so magnificently in the past.

Barry, is your thinking that we should have our licence revoked by the NRL?
Have they done this to any other club before?

Not immediately, and not entirely. But ultimately, if we don't get our shit together the potential 'jewel in the crown' will continue to be so badly mis-managed that it will put people off for ever.

My idea is to try to provide some breathing space for the LC to get its shit together, which requires (IMHO) the on field performance to be separated from the LC politics for a while. I think we need a 'circuit breaker' (see, that's two crap metaphors in one post).

There are probably numerous options b/w my rather extreme suggestion and what others seem to be considering.

ash411

Bench
Not immediately, and not entirely. But ultimately, if we don't get our shit together the potential 'jewel in the crown' will continue to be so badly mis-managed that it will put people off for ever.

My idea is to try to provide some breathing space for the LC to get its shit together, which requires (IMHO) the on field performance to be separated from the LC politics for a while. I think we need a 'circuit breaker' (see, that's two crap metaphors in one post).

There are probably numerous options b/w my rather extreme suggestion and what others seem to be considering.

And what is to stop the NRL from then selling the license off to the highest bidder?

And what is to stop the NRL from then selling the license off to the highest bidder?

You can contract in the right to match the highest bidder, and that will be 100% enforceable. That's obviously not the only way to do it. You could make the license simply revert to the PLC conditional on major structural reforms being implemented. Or we could just watch the current circus.

TheRam

Coach
You can contract in the right to match the highest bidder, and that will be 100% enforceable. That's obviously not the only way to do it. You could make the license simply revert to the PLC conditional on major structural reforms being implemented. Or we could just watch the current circus.

This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard in regards to our club. Wanting to revoke our license.

:crazy:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-mistakes-in-transcripts-20160614-gpiwnd.html

Salary cap scandal: Parramatta Eels claim NRL made mistakes in transcripts

Date
June 14, 2016 - 8:00PM

Chris Barrett
Sports Writer

Parramatta have accused the NRL of attributing comments to the wrong people in the transcripts of taped board meetings that were included in salary cap breach notices.

The claim has been made in the submission filed to League Central last Friday, with the defence of the Eels and individuals also believed to suggest there were important omissions from the transcripts in the notices sent to the club and five officials.

The NRL appeared to dismiss Parramatta's argument on Tuesday night, a spokesman saying the breach notices were based on the evidence from a range of sources including tapes, emails, text messages and oral evidence provided to the investigation.

"We are confident we have the information needed to warrant the breach notices," the spokesman said.

NRL investigators gained access to audio recordings of board meetings after they were taped by former chief executive Scott Seward's executive assistant and stored on the club's server for the purposes of transcribing the minutes. The conversations captured from meetings over two years include the discussion of third-party agreements and suspicions that they might be in breach of NRL salary cap rules.

The Eels and their suspended officials lodged submissions with League Central over the past 10 days, leaving NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg to determine whether to rubber stamp their provisional penalty – a deduction of 12 competition points, a $1 million fine and the deregistration of directors and executives – or opt for heavier or lighter sanctions.

Parramatta's board is due to meet on Wednesday and reject a proposal made by director Geoff Gerard that he and the entire board stand down.

In a reflection of the bitter division that remains at the Eels, fellow board member Paul Garrard on Tuesday hit out at Gerard's suggestion but welcomed the possible exit of the former international.

"I think it's great news that he wants to stand down, absolutely great. If he wants to stand down, I think he should," Garrard said.

"He's obviously not up to the hard work that needs to be done. If it's too hot in the kitchen, get out.

"We haven't got time to be sitting around talking about menial topics like how to get some publicity. We're about trying to do the hard yards and that's what's being done. Someone has got to do it. If he wants to sit on the bench, good. We've got work to do. I think the best idea is for him to take his own advice."

Garrard said the board was optimistic of "good news" when the NRL makes its final decision, which is likely next week.

"We have been working very hard to develop a defence to the breach notice," he said. "We've been requesting information off the NRL, we've been seeking extensions in order to absorb that new information and respond accordingly and that's what we need to do as responsible board members.

"I assume the NRL is working as hard as we are. They're probably working harder than Geoff is."

This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard in regards to our club. Wanting to revoke our license.

:crazy:

Coming from you, I'm honoured mate. I was also hoping to stir up El D, but he hasn't bitten yet.

I'm talking about people independent of the PLC having control of the NRL license for a contractually limited period of time.

Can you please tell me how this would be worse than the farce that we've seen over the past X years?

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't know about you blokes but Paul Garrard seems like an absolute f**kwit to me, the sooner this merkin and his f**kwit mates are gone the better...

strider

Post Whore
I don't know about you blokes but Paul Garrard seems like an absolute f**kwit to me, the sooner this merkin and his f**kwit mates are gone the better...

Agreed

Having said that, I admit i know f**k all about him but i dont know how much time i have for geoff gerard either ... he's been there a while and i dont think its been a terribly successful period

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
Now the decision is next week.
It seems like the original breach notice every time they would say it would happen next week it would change to the following week and it dragged on for another month.

Like this atm with the breach notice response. June 3 was the original date for the response

Suitman

Post Whore
Who's the f**king "NRL spokesman"? ... if you are big enough to make comment to themedia then why can't you have a f**king name?

I don't post much any more because someone, always, somewhere, says something I agree with, on subjects I have an opinion on. I feel that there is no point repeating the same opinion.
That, and generally because, this place is just full of douche bags now.

This quote above however, I couldn't leave alone without reiterating the same opinion.
I'm sick to death of hearing reports that quote "sources".
It's a huge gripe I have with today's current media.

Status
Not open for further replies.