What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is our best forward pack ?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Think you've got it pretty much spot on there pal.
There's potential for Leilua and Sims to swap so Leilua gets the start and Sims can play more in the middle rotation.
Kerr might be a potential bolter for the bench too.
Otherwise, great pack, one of the best we've had in years.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Looks about right. Mary likes having a forward who can play in the centres on the bench. Pencil in Matthews/Marketo in place of LAM or JdB.

The Doc

Juniors
Packer
McInnes
AhMau
Leilua
Thompson
Frizz

Mose - Simms - Host - Vaughan
Vaughan and Mose coming on to replace Packer and Ahmau and Simms to replace Leilua gives us a whole different forward pack, filled with aggression, for opposition D to contend with.
Thompson can be the guy to slot into centre if injuries occur in the backs.
Thats a dominating forward pack. Will be very hard for any team to contain that forward pack.

Reactions: Qdf

Belta

Juniors
Yes good lineup, Plenty of options including Havilli, Wakeman plus a few other young forwards and with Lam and packer recovering from off season surgeries there might be a window of opportunity for them to deliver.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Firstly, I'd like to say how good it is that we can actually have a debate about who should be our forward pack, this hasn't happened for a while. The fact that we have players capable of filing the 9 (or 10) spots in the team and challenging for them is fantastic IMO.
My 5c worth:

Starting:
Packer
McInnes
LAM
Thompson
JDB
Friz

Bench:
Host
Simms
Vaughan
"Utility" - Havili etc

I'm leaving both Mose and Leilua out for the time being. Mose hasn't played for almost 16mths and has apparently been put back to the rehab squad. If so, he would need some game time with the Cutters to bring him up to speed and fitness. Leilua (assuming when he signs), looks unfit to me, maybe it's just start of pre-season, but any videos we've seen of his running, he always looks off the pace. Again, fitness is his only problem.
In saying this, the 2 players in the "team" most under pressure IMO are LAM and JDB, both need to lift their games considerably. If not then Mose and Leilua can slot in their place.

Belta

Juniors
I agree with The Doc JDB just missing out despite the fact he probably our best defender. He needs to run harder with the ball. Not that I'm a huge fatty fan but I'm paraphrasing one of his comments "it's a simple game really just run the ball hard and straight". Big believer in that line of thought, but you need the courage to do it

Belta

Juniors
If mose and packer are ready to start round 1 and with Vaughan and you add Kerr you have a huge pack, then you will need an 80 minute player like JDB who can get up towards 50 tackles a game, so it is probably unfair to be to critical of his lack of impact in attack

GC Dragon

Juniors
If everything is the same by round one mine would be.
8..Packer
9..McInnes
10..Vaughan
11..Frizzell
12..Thompson
13..Host

14..Mose
15..Sims
16..Leilua
17..Havili

That's if Mose works out , Leilua stays and Havili is kept after his court case . my back ups would be .

JDB
Sele
LAM
Kerr
Hind
Lewis

With Marketo , Mathews , McCarthey released .

dragonssamy61

First Grade
If mose and packer are ready to start round 1 and with Vaughan and you add Kerr you have a huge pack, then you will need an 80 minute player like JDB who can get up towards 50 tackles a game, so it is probably unfair to be to critical of his lack of impact in attack

Belta
I think lack of attack is the coaches unflexable game plan

BennyV

Referee
Firstly, I'd like to say how good it is that we can actually have a debate about who should be our forward pack, this hasn't happened for a while. The fact that we have players capable of filing the 9 (or 10) spots in the team and challenging for them is fantastic IMO.
My 5c worth:

Starting:
Packer
McInnes
LAM
Thompson
JDB
Friz

Bench:
Host
Simms
Vaughan
"Utility" - Havili etc

I'm leaving both Mose and Leilua out for the time being. Mose hasn't played for almost 16mths and has apparently been put back to the rehab squad. If so, he would need some game time with the Cutters to bring him up to speed and fitness. Leilua (assuming when he signs), looks unfit to me, maybe it's just start of pre-season, but any videos we've seen of his running, he always looks off the pace. Again, fitness is his only problem.
In saying this, the 2 players in the "team" most under pressure IMO are LAM and JDB, both need to lift their games considerably. If not then Mose and Leilua can slot in their place.
Yep, this. I'm assuming you mean JDB at lock and Friz on the edge (considering the opposite is a bit silly). I'd probably start Vaughn and put Ah Mau on the bench, but it's a bit elementary really.

Host is our best proposition, should be getting priority bench spot. Can rotate with Friz and JDB for time on the edge and a bit in the middle.
Havili on the bench should be a lock in, there's no guarantee McInness will last 80 minutes (remember, Rein was one of the fittest at the club and tanked when playing a full game) and his use as a running forward could be very effective.
And I think we need JDB at lock. None of our prop rotation are big-minute or big-number players, in particularly Simms and Vaughn are very good with providing impact and should be used as such. Every pack needs a workhorse, and JDB is a decent one.

Belta

Juniors
Dragonssammy61

Yeah you're probably right, Mann was questioned on it when he mentioned his preference would be for half back, and his answer was they lacked execution. There is no doubt all aspects of their kicking game was poor, the last tackle options again very poor, so hopefully there is a lot of work being done in those area's.

I think the forward pack won't be as difficult to get right as the backs. There is so many options, who plays where, players like Aitken, Milne, Mann are still young and could step up another level...hopes who knows maybe McGregor is losing his grip and Coyne or someone else may be given some say say in changing his rigid attacking game..eventually this will happen hopefully sooner than later

If everything is the same by round one mine would be.
8..Packer
9..McInnes
10..Vaughan
11..Frizzell
12..Thompson
13..Host

14..Mose
15..Sims
16..Leilua
17..Havili

That's if Mose works out , Leilua stays and Havili is kept after his court case . my back ups would be .

JDB
Sele
LAM
Kerr
Hind
Lewis

With Marketo , Mathews , McCarthey released .

Why would they release any of those players they already let go Lui, Cooper and Ikahihifo.

They didn't bother to retain Leatigaga, Taufa or Jurd and Leulia still stuffing around with managers.

The depth will be needed
Thompson is injury prone and at times ill disciplined
Masoe coming back from a major injury
Ah Mau coming back from injury
Packer coming back from injury
Havili may still get the sack
Kerr an unknown.
Hind and Lewis no idea if they can make the set up.

Mathews isn't flash but doesn't let the team down.
McCarthy hasn't really been given an oppurtunity but he's solid.
Marketo is the only guy I would let go not because he is awful just he doesn't offer alot and shouldn't stand in the way of the likes of Host or Sele.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
13. Debellin.
12. Frizzell (c)
11. Sims
10. Packer
9. Havili.
8. Au Mau

14. Masoe
15. Thompson
16. Host
17. Marketo (this will raise the ire of some but as Errol Flynn used to say "DILLIGAF"?)

Critics, be warned. I am entitled to an opinion as much as you.

If Matthews plays first grade, Saints are in serious "Barney Rubble".

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
13. Debellin.
12. Frizzell (c)
11. Sims
10. Packer
9. Havili.
8. Au Mau

14. Masoe
15. Thompson
16. Host
17. Marketo (this will raise the ire but as Errol Flynn used to say "DILLIGAF"?)

If Matthews plays first grade, Saints are in serious "Barney Rubble").
Lol nice, this makes the Marketo selection even funnier!

Gareth67

First Grade
Packer (c)
McInnes
Vaughan
Simms
Frizzell
Host
Bench:-
Thompson
J.D.B.
Mose - if fully fit
Lesson Ah Mau
Leilua

This is a formidable pack of forwards , with some tough-nuts among them , that will hold their own against most opponents , they must be given the opportunity to ' gel ' .
As long as the coach sticks with this squad for 6- 8 weeks and injury replacements are taken from the same squad ( not Cutters ) they will be able to form a solid working combination .

Vaughan and Mose must understand from the outset, that they are not there just to make up the numbers . As has been mentioned by others , Leilua needs to lose some weight and learn how to tackle , if does this , he will be able to cement a regular spot in the pack.

Both he and Host have a wonderful future in the game , I do hope that they make every post a winner , and we Dragon fans will finally have something to smile about .

Last edited:
13. Debellin.
12. Frizzell (c)
11. Sims
10. Packer
9. Havili.
8. Au Mau

14. Masoe
15. Thompson
16. Host
17. Marketo (this will raise the ire but as Errol Flynn used to say "DILLIGAF"?)

If Matthews plays first grade, Saints are in serious "Barney Rubble").
Yes you are entitled but don't be surprised to get laughed at.

Marketo anywhere near the top 17 isn't funny its pathetic.

Mathews offers alot more and I don't really seem in in the top 17 either.