What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is our best forward pack ?

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I agree Coast. I also have a feeling that Lawrie and Robson may get into the mix because as you know they have potential.
This year we largely ignored potential until it was too late. Hopefully performance will
determine selection in the NRL side next year. One of the successes of the Cutters and Under 20's sides this year is that coach selections were largely based on performance resulting in exemplary performances

Packer
McInnes
Vaughan
Simms
Frizzell
Host
Bench:-
Thompson
J.D.B.
Mose - if fully fit
Lesson Ah Mau
Leilua

This is a formidable pack of forwards , with some tough-nuts among them , that will hold their own against most opponents , they must be given the opportunity to ' gel ' .
As long as the coach sticks with this squad for 6- 8 weeks and injury replacements are taken from the same squad ( not Cutters ) they will be able to form a solid working combination .

Vaughan and Mose must understand from the outset, that they are not there just to make up the numbers . As has been mentioned by others , Leilua needs to lose some weight and learn how to tackle , if does this , he will be able to cement a regular spot in the pack.

Both he and Host have a wonderful future in the game , I do hope that they make every post a winner , and we Dragon fans will finally have something to smile about .
I don't see leilua as a regular and the reason for this in the under 20's he went missing way to often.

When he was fully commited he was fantastic then he would get very lazy and you wouldn't even see him.

At times he was outplayed by Taufa, Leatigaga and Jurd with all three very consistant and Lawrie who imo was the leader of the pack and really needs to be moved up into the Cutters throughout the year.

Still disappointed to see Taufa, leatigaga and Jurd gone I would have liked to have seen them with the Cutters.

Jurd might stick around as some of the rumours have stated just like Gallagher who I also like.

I agree Coast. I also have a feeling that Lawrie and Robson may get into the mix because as you know they have potential.
This year we largely ignored potential until it was too late. Hopefully performance will
determine selection in the NRL side next year. One of the successes of the Cutters and Under 20's sides this year is that coach selections were largely based on performance resulting in exemplary performances
Lawrie lead from the front this year he was one of the most underated props in the comp and its good to see he is training with the first grade squad its the start of his transition to a more senior level.

Robson he looked so comfortable steering the team around and is another in the list of good young dummy halves the club has brought through but we all know some didn't live up to the hype or just to injury prone.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I don't see leilua as a regular and the reason for this in the under 20's he went missing way to often.

When he was fully commited he was fantastic then he would get very lazy and you wouldn't even see him.

At times he was outplayed by Taufa, Leatigaga and Jurd with all three very consistant and Lawrie who imo was the leader of the pack and really needs to be moved up into the Cutters throughout the year.

Still disappointed to see Taufa, leatigaga and Jurd gone I would have liked to have seen them with the Cutters.

Jurd might stick around as some of the rumours have stated just like Gallagher who I also like.

Agree Coast
Luch needs to be fitter and 100% commented to the dragons and thus the team.
I think blocker lawrie was definitely one of the best last year and is loved and repected by the other team members

BennyV

Referee
DILLIGAF?
Nah, you dont. So you've made the selection - why Marketo? Whats his role? What does he bring? Why have you opted for him, despite obvious deficiencies, over the likes of Vaughn, McInnes and other such players who have actual first-grade level ability?

The Doc

Juniors
With the forwards we have (Packer, AhMau, Simms, Frizzell, Thompson), the forwards we bought (Vaughan, and Kerr who has big wraps on him), the forward who missed last year through injury (Big Mose), and the youngsters that have stepped up (Leilua, Host, Sele, Lawrie), there is no room for either Marketo or Mathews to be anywhere near our starting 17.
In my opinion, JDB will be lucky to make the starting 17. Mary will pick him, but it would be nice to see if any of these youngsters are able to bring more to the side then JDB.
I say give them a run in the cutters, and if they perform, then PROMOTE THEN.
JDB tackles his heart out, but in attack offers absolutely ZERO.
Time for a change in the roster. We have signed up some talent, lets give them a run and see what they got.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
With the forwards we have (Packer, AhMau, Simms, Frizzell, Thompson), the forwards we bought (Vaughan, and Kerr who has big wraps on him), the forward who missed last year through injury (Big Mose), and the youngsters that have stepped up (Leilua, Host, Sele, Lawrie), there is no room for either Marketo or Mathews to be anywhere near our starting 17.
In my opinion, JDB will be lucky to make the starting 17. Mary will pick him, but it would be nice to see if any of these youngsters are able to bring more to the side then JDB.
I say give them a run in the cutters, and if they perform, then PROMOTE THEN.
JDB tackles his heart out, but in attack offers absolutely ZERO.
Time for a change in the roster. We have signed up some talent, lets give them a run and see what they got.

Doc I understand what your saying and agree.
But with out JDB who going to do his 40 tackles a game.
As much as it might be not as exciting who is going to do his 40 tackles a game and 20 hitups.
Every team need there workhorse players.

dragonrickjs

Juniors
Seriously LAM should be no where near first grade next year! Deadset Z grader

Packer
McInnes
Vaughan
Thompson
Frizzell
DeBelin

Host
Luilua
Sims
Lawrie/Mose/Kerr

GC Dragon

Juniors
Why would they release any of those players they already let go Lui, Cooper and Ikahihifo.

They didn't bother to retain Leatigaga, Taufa or Jurd and Leulia still stuffing around with managers.

The depth will be needed
Thompson is injury prone and at times ill disciplined
Masoe coming back from a major injury
Ah Mau coming back from injury
Packer coming back from injury
Havili may still get the sack
Kerr an unknown.
Hind and Lewis no idea if they can make the set up.

Mathews isn't flash but doesn't let the team down.
McCarthy hasn't really been given an oppurtunity but he's solid.
Marketo is the only guy I would let go not because he is awful just he doesn't offer alot and shouldn't stand in the way of the likes of Host or Sele.
I agree all that depth may well be needed but I would rather have kept the likes of Taufa , Leatigaga and taken a punt on them going forward than the 3 I mentioned .

Seriously LAM should be no where near first grade next year! Deadset Z grader

Packer
McInnes
Vaughan
Thompson
Frizzell
DeBelin

Host
Luilua
Sims
Lawrie/Mose/Kerr
That certainly won't be the bench rd 1/

Ah Mau a z grader seriously such an over reaction its rather amusing.

He had an off year and wasn't the only one.

dragonrickjs

Juniors
That certainly won't be the bench rd 1/

Ah Mau a z grader seriously such an over reaction its rather amusing.

He had an off year and wasn't the only one.
How many good years has he had in first grade? 1 year out of about 6. Z Grader and that 1 year he went well was a contract year for himself

dragonrickjs

Juniors
Can some one please tell me how many good years our star front rower big bad Lesson Ah Mau has had in first grade?? I can only think of one..... which happened to be when his contract was expiring.

He has been solid and that is what you expect from a front rower.

He has been no better or worse then some of the other forwards that have been playing first grade in the years of Price and Mary.

Trying to be smart calling be the forum expert meakes me lmao thanks for the funny.

dragonrickjs

Juniors
Fair call almost every player who has played under price and now Mary has gone backwards
But let's be serious LAM is not a first grader. He would not make any other first grade team in the comp. Surely we have have enough depth with the young guys coming thru to cover LAM and if we don't we are in more trouble then I thought.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Ah Mau is no different in ability than Jon Green.

Steady but certainly not someone who puts the fear of God into opposition teams.

He's had one good season when his contract was about to expire (as many have pointed out) and has done bugger all really in the rest of his time at the club.

I certainly don't dislike Ah Mau, it's just that the Dragons don't necessarily need him,

Its rather difficult to look good in a team when its coached poorly.

Players are less likely to want to excel when they don't have a person to motivate them to do so.