What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

BennyV

Referee
Hunt's impending arrival throws up the following permutations:

1. The futures of Dugan and Widdop (I severely doubt the latter will stay beyond this year).

2. Is this signing retribution against Bennett recruiting Demetriou I.e. payback?

3, Is this an indication that a new coach will be at the helm (let's hope so).

4. Obviously the club saw Hutchison as a short term solution only. His future is in doubt,

5. Kurt Mann to five eighth?

In the interim, I should start looking for a Manly jumper at my local rubbish tip.
I still dont think that there's a new coach signed, or that this points to any such announcement any time in the future. Hunt signed for money. Can't complain about that from either party.

My fear is that Mary's mates on the board are looking to give him every opportunity to not fail, so there's a chance he'll be extended for 2 years in the hope that Hunt can carry him to repeat his greatest achievement (that is, falling into the Top 8) and the decision can be justified. I hope, and would LOVE to believe, that someone in management recognises the need for a decent coach to take control of this team.

If we re-sign Dugan there's the making of an extremely good squad littered with experienced leaders and talented, exciting youngsters across a powerful forward pack and fast, strong back line. However, it's also a recipe for disaster if handled by an inexperienced coach with a huge ego as we now have, considering the development of youth and the ability to deal with players on vastly different pay grades.

On Hutch, it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the running for the 6 jumper next year. Best case scenario for mine would be Mann to 6 for 2017 onwards, with Field being groomed as the back up and properly developed over a few years.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I still dont think that there's a new coach signed, or that this points to any such announcement any time in the future. Hunt signed for money. Can't complain about that from either party.

My fear is that Mary's mates on the board are looking to give him every opportunity to not fail, so there's a chance he'll be extended for 2 years in the hope that Hunt can carry him to repeat his greatest achievement (that is, falling into the Top 8) and the decision can be justified. I hope, and would LOVE to believe, that someone in management recognises the need for a decent coach to take control of this team.

If we re-sign Dugan there's the making of an extremely good squad littered with experienced leaders and talented, exciting youngsters across a powerful forward pack and fast, strong back line. However, it's also a recipe for disaster if handled by an inexperienced coach with a huge ego as we now have, considering the development of youth and the ability to deal with players on vastly different pay grades.

On Hutch, it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the running for the 6 jumper next year. Best case scenario for mine would be Mann to 6 for 2017 onwards, with Field being groomed as the back up and properly developed over a few years.

Do you concur about Widdop's future? Not only do I believe the club cannot retain both him and Dugan, I reckon he'll WANT to leave at season's end.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
He stated he would be keen to coach where there was a coaching vacancy. And currently, at the Dragons for 2017 anyway, there isn't one as Mary is still coach.

At no time did say he rejected the Dragons.

if that were true, why did the club approach Clary if there wasn't a vacancy?

Are you saying this didn't transpire, because if so, it's contrary to the numerous reports that said it did happen.

Last edited:

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Can't remember where I read it but there was a suggestion Kevin Walters might be interested in coaching St George. Makes more sense if Ben Hunt is a lock. A lock as in committed to joining, not as in a lock forward position.

giboz71

First Grade
if that were true, why did the club approach McGregor if there wasn't a vacancy?

Are you saying this didn't transpire, because if so, it's contrary to the numerous reports that said it did happen.

McGregor was always contracted to the end of 2017. He would have to have been sacked for Cleary to have come on board this year. That didn't happen.

So when asked about the "interest" from the Dragons, his words were very deliberate, that he was keen to come back to the NRL when a vacancy arose. There is no vacancy at the Dragons in 2017, possibly because the club were reluctant to pay McGregor out.

That vacancy however applies to 2018 when McGregor is no longer contracted.

BennyV

Referee
Do you concur about Widdop's future? Not only do I believe the club cannot retain both him and Dugan, I reckon he'll WANT to leave at season's end.
I agree that he wont be here in 2018. Whether he wants to leave or not, I dont know, but with Hunt signed to build the team around, we'd likely get as good with Mann as the foil as we would with Widdop.

McGregor was always contracted to the end of 2017. He would have to have been sacked for Cleary to have come on board this year. That didn't happen.

So when asked about the "interest" from the Dragons, his words were very deliberate, that he was keen to come back to the NRL when a vacancy arose. There is no vacancy at the Dragons in 2017, possibly because the club were reluctant to pay McGregor out.

That vacancy however applies to 2018 when McGregor is no longer contracted.

Cleary has already rejected the Dragons. I don't see why that would change for 2018.

Straight Shooter

mickeylane

Bench
There's no chance in the world Mcgregor will be retained - he was given 3 years to make his mark and build the young players - nine of it has happened - the kids coming through are not his doing but rather the clubs Pathways Program headed up by Millward.

I would like to think that one of
Cleary
Walters
Hasler
Will be given the job - in fact we know the club approached Cleary this year but it seemed there 1-2 things missing for CleAry to come on board.

The club us looking for a coach that knows how to bring in youngsters slowly through first grade - both Cleary and Hasler have a great record of bringing thru youngsters into first grade..

The club will give Mcgregor a chance to shine but the wroting for him was on the wall as soon as Coyne and his team were appointed to manage all aspects of the coaching role except for coaching itself.. There's no other coach in the NRL wearing handcuffs as much as Mcgregor us .. He's a claytons coach that's going to be spoon fed out of the joint without the club having to pay a cent to get rid of him..

rasaint

Juniors
On Ben Hunt apparent signing.

At a $1m it is overs in my view. I value Ben Hunt a $850 a season player. The length of the contract is also a big riskin my opinion. If he is not delivering then we are stuck for years. Remember Dan Hunt got a big money deal for those days, then one way or another didn't deliver.

On the positive side is close to a Cooper Cronk 'double'. Why:

Ben Hunt has reasonable speed and fast initial acceleration. So does Cronk, whose speed is up there.

Both play straight and throw great long and short.

Both at the good short kicking game.

Both are athletes and play constantly for 80minutes.

Both strong and score in close in traffic.

Both similar build and stature.

Of course, Cronk is a little better across the board. Interesting Cronk is now 33 years old and played last season at 32 years old. May be if Ben Hunt proves as consistent and durable as Cronk then the 5 seasons is not so much a worry.

st.phil

Bench
On Ben Hunt apparent signing.

At a $1m it is overs in my view. I value Ben Hunt a $850 a season player. The length of the contract is also a big riskin my opinion. If he is not delivering then we are stuck for years. Remember Dan Hunt got a big money deal for those days, then one way or another didn't deliver.

On the positive side is close to a Cooper Cronk 'double'. Why:

Ben Hunt has reasonable speed and fast initial acceleration. So does Cronk, whose speed is up there.

Both play straight and throw great long and short.

Both at the good short kicking game.

Both are athletes and play constantly for 80minutes.

Both strong and score in close in traffic.

Both similar build and stature.

Of course, Cronk is a little better across the board. Interesting Cronk is now 33 years old and played last season at 32 years old. May be if Ben Hunt proves as consistent and durable as Cronk then the 5 seasons is not so much a worry.

Not as easy to say that cronk is "a little better across the board" ...Hunt is a far more creative / instinctual than cronk who is a terminator...execution better with cronk but I know who is enjoy watching play more. Sign him!

BennyV

Referee
Cleary has already rejected the Dragons. I don't see why that would change for 2018.

Straight Shooter
If true, it depends on the reason for rejecting. If it was because he didn't like the roster, or he had to have Mary on his support staff, that may well change for 2018.

Crush

Coach
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...e/news-story/bb897efac927196e389c582fcba3fde8

This article is so frustrating. Talking about widdop and hunt as a halves pairing in 2018 like thats a given. And saying the dragons forwards won't give hunt go forward unless there is a massive improvement or they start focusing on recruiting forwards! What do you call Vaughan, Sims, luciano all recently recruited? I think we have the forwards covered.
And the article has the hide to say that widdop, duges and friz are our only real quality players. WIDDOP! Has this reporter not watched any dragons games in the last two years?
Please....

Ray McKigney

Juniors
I'm sure Hunt will be successful just like your last two marquee halves.....

If you guys want a good coach to replace Mary then you should go after the Bronco's assistant coach, you already got a halfback out of them so you may as well.