What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird to Dragons 2018 Rumour Won't Go Away

mickeylane

Bench
Just putting it out there that in the great halls of player agents the rumour is that Jack Bird is waiting for a formal offer from Dragons for 2018 and beyond and it wont b long coming .. I suppose never say never.. Can't discount any rumours especially ones from the agents!

TomRedVRiver

Bench
But why?
Look, it's obvious that Bird is a phenomenal player and would be a huge acquisition for any squad, but surely with the signing of Ben Hunt that all but solidifies our halves combination for 2018 and beyond in Hunt/Field.
Dufty will be our fullback and Dugan/Milne/Aitken/Herbert/Thompson to fight it out for a centre spot.

If we do offer him a contract, he will be a pretty highly paid second-rower/lock.

red rocket

Juniors
But why?
Look, it's obvious that Bird is a phenomenal player and would be a huge acquisition for any squad, but surely with the signing of Ben Hunt that all but solidifies our halves combination for 2018 and beyond in Hunt/Field.
Dufty will be our fullback and Dugan/Milne/Aitken/Herbert/Thompson to fight it out for a centre spot.

If we do offer him a contract, he will be a pretty highly paid second-rower/lock.
Bird signing would be huge we have a good pack now but how good would we be with a ball playing lock he is a future international we all hope our juniors turn out to be world beaters some will some won't bird already is

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Bird signing would be huge we have a good pack now but how good would we be with a ball playing lock he is a future international we all hope our juniors turn out to be world beaters some will some won't bird already is

I would love to see Bird signed to play lock, but as long as he stays there. I don't want to see Jai Field's chances of playing 5/8 diminished because they chose to play Bird there instead.
Another worry is that most locks these days are just like having another prop on the field (Gallen, Taumalolo, Klemmer, Burgess etc). I worry that maybe Bird isn't quite big enough to play in the middle for 80 minutes. But hey, he's proved a lot of people wrong in his career so far.

BennyV

Referee
Yeah, I can't see it happening purely due to the money he would command.

If it did/could, then anyone who is not keen due to the path of Jai Field is a f**king moron. Bird is several levels above Jai and will continue to be so for his entire career. It would be an immense signing, but again, I can't see it happening (unless Dugan doesn't re-sign)...

Gareth67

First Grade
How could the Dragons possibly afford both Hunt and Bird ?
Has Bruce Gordon secretly been investing some of his off-shore ( Bermuda ) finances into the Joint Venture ?

The price tag for Jack Bird , would be far more than Ben Hunt . Unless the Dragon Board have finally worked out the " rorters " system for paying players , we simply will not have enough money to spend .

More so , when there are other contracts be finalised . Cannot see him returning to the Big Red V , not after tasting a Premiership with the Sharks .

possm

Coach
How could the Dragons possibly afford both Hunt and Bird ?
Has Bruce Gordon secretly been investing some of his off-shore ( Bermuda ) finances into the Joint Venture ?

The price tag for Jack Bird , would be far more than Ben Hunt . Unless the Dragon Board have finally worked out the " rorters " system for paying players , we simply will not have enough money to spend .

More so , when there are other contracts be finalised . Cannot see him returning to the Big Red V , not after tasting a Premiership with the Sharks .
If talks with Dugan aren't fruitful, I'm sure we could fit Bird under the cap for 2018.

mickeylane

Bench
Also if
If talks with Dugan aren't fruitful, I'm sure we could fit Bird under the cap for 2018.
consider Benjis contract gone at $550k
consider Widdops contract gone at $550k
consider Dugans contract slightly reduced from $750k to $550k
consider Mathews, Marketo and possibly JDB gone for a collective $700k
and some how u have squeezed out $2M of which $1M has gone to Hunt and there's enough for at least amother marquee at $750k a season,, if Bird does come he would come as either a centre or lock unless Field fails to adapt at all over next 12 months he will then fit in into 5/8..

Qdf

Juniors
If it eventuates, it will be another step in the right direction. Widdop will leave, Bird will step in at 5/8 & Field will get some time to mature..

TomRedVRiver

Bench
consider Benjis contract gone at $550k
consider Widdops contract gone at $550k
consider Dugans contract slightly reduced from $750k to $550k
consider Mathews, Marketo and possibly JDB gone for a collective $700k
and some how u have squeezed out $2M of which $1M has gone to Hunt and there's enough for at least amother marquee at $750k a season,, if Bird does come he would come as either a centre or lock unless Field fails to adapt at all over next 12 months he will then fit in into 5/8..

This maybe be plausible in theory, but let's not forget that the club has A LOT of players coming off contract at the end of 2017.
(I'd throw Lafai into those players you've included to be punted as well, his contract is probably worth more than we'd like to be carrying.)

Aitken, Milne, Packer and Thompson will most likely have their contracts upgraded (some more than others) as well as a few fringe player re-signed for depth.
We MIGHT be able to fit Bird in, but he's going to be demanding a lot of money.
I also think that whilst he is a phenomenal player, he won't be best suited to playing Lock. He needs to have his hands on the ball as much as possible and his initial rise began when he was playing at 5/8.
Bird will want to sign a lengthy contract for security as well, so this idea of "giving Field time to mature" won't work. If Bird wants to play 5/8, Field will most likely be struggling to make the side and we could lose him, this CANNOT happen.
I know people will argue that Bird is already established and Field is an unknown so why would you gamble on Field if you have an opportunity to sign someone like Bird, but I don't know guys... Jai Field looks really impressive. I can only see a successful future in his career, he could be a Milford style player. He would also be on 1/8th of the money that Bird will be demanding..

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
The biggest point is does bird want to come home.
I dont think so. He has stated that he want to be a shark for a long time.
Hopefully he has changed his mind but i doubt it.

Gareth67

First Grade
The biggest point is does bird want to come home.
I dont think so. He has stated that he want to be a shark for a long time.
Hopefully he has changed his mind but i doubt it.

Exactly Sammy , he is wearing a premiership ring , has a coach that knows how to get the best from his players . Why would he return to the club that punted him ?
He must be on the radar of some of the more prominent clubs , that are stable both on and off the field . Still , it is a lovely thought .

Latest posts