What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Austin is loving Canberra, for some unfathomable reason. I'd be shocked if he leaves.
He seems like a guy who's more interested in his family's wellbeing than going out on the town with a bunch of dickheads and getting wasted. I don't know this but that's the impression I have.

And since he joined the club has been on the up and they're now a strong team. The story might be different if they weren't going so well.

Chipmunk

Coach
Are you serious? Blake would be on $500K tops at Canberra. We would give him at least $700K and he would be well worth it.

So why didn't we go and offer him $700k? He only resigned last season.

As a half Austin would really have to ask himself though is he better off playing behind the Raiders pack or the Parra pack? I know which one I'd choose and it wouldn't involve a relocation to Sydney.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You'd prefer Moses, Pou?
I think I would. But over both I would probably prefer Widdop. The only downside is he is used to the left hand side, though he is a right footer.

Then again, the Dragons are playing quite well, which will probably be pushing his price up.

Djay

Juniors
I can't believe some people here honestly think Reynolds is any sort of viable option. No f**king way, kicking game is non existent, horrible organiser, hardly a passing game all he has going for him is his ticker and he runs that is all.

For the money he wants or even if he didn't want big money i wouldn't touch him he is rubbish and there's a reason why Dogs fan can't wait to see the back of him.

I would rather we persist with Gutho, like some have said he has a fair bit going for him his running game and his defence are 2 areas that whoever else we bring in won't probably have and his a big body and that's what i like about our halves there big bodies and can both defend.

Currently it's all Norman but we all know what Guth is like, he will give you 120% every week and keep chipping away at his game to get better for probably a fraction of the cost of others.

Ill reserve my thoughts on him staying at 5/8 for now I would like to see a bit more of him there first, right now in the oppositions 20 is what concerns me it's all Norman and teams know that. I feel like Gutho needs to take over some of the time and that will grow with time and experience.

At the end of the day the options aren't really great and for Gutho money and how good of a runner and a defender he is I think his awesome, his been our best player all year.

I would prefer we persist and look at buying a barnstorming 80min forward or even a barnstorming forward in general and a genuine creative hooker, that's what my concerns would be.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I can't believe some people here honestly think Reynolds is any sort of viable option. No f**king way, kicking game is non existent, horrible organiser, hardly a passing game all he has going for him is his ticker and he runs that is all.

For the money he wants or even if he didn't want big money i wouldn't touch him he is rubbish and there's a reason why Dogs fan can't wait to see the back of him.

I would rather we persist with Gutho, like some have said he has a fair bit going for him his running game and his defence are 2 areas that whoever else we bring in won't probably have and his a big body and that's what i like about our halves there big bodies and can both defend.

Currently it's all Norman but we all know what Guth is like, he will give you 120% every week and keep chipping away at his game to get better for probably a fraction of the cost of others.

Ill reserve my thoughts on him staying at 5/8 for now I would like to see a bit more of him there first, right now in the oppositions 20 is what concerns me it's all Norman and teams know that. I feel like Gutho needs to take over some of the time and that will grow with time and experience.

At the end of the day the options aren't really great and for Gutho money and how good of a runner and a defender he is I think his awesome, his been our best player all year.

I would prefer we persist and look at buying a barnstorming 80min forward or even a barnstorming forward in general and a genuine creative hooker, that's what my concerns would be.
I'd be chasing a decent nine before I'd think about PuntIng Guth, he hasn't been the problem the team playing on tilt and dropping more Ball than matty Wade has been our biggest problem.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Jeynolds would be a decent dummy half

lingard

Coach
I figured I'd be on my own.

I think he's worth persisting with, and I believe he'd benefit from having the coach stop protecting him.

Last night was painful, because it was clear as day that the plan was for Norman to do 90% of the playmaking, and the Sharks figured that out quickly.

Let Gutherson play what's in front of him.

Well, it's an interesting idea, and you could be right. I sort of hope you are - it would save us buying another half.

lingard

Coach
Reynolds has played 4 games for NSW, won 50% of the games he's played...

I think Gutherson will be better, anyway.

I remember how awful Lockyer was in his first season at 6...

I'm confident Guth will improve by season's end.

And, of course, Norman was awful in his first year for us.

lingard

Coach
Regarding other options for the halves, would we be better in "carrying" Dargan for a year or two ? He seem to do ok in his game time in the trials and while he isn't the best option it does give us a shit load of cash to strength other positions.

Signing another top line half for probably around $750 k is a big risk when we could probably afford to add two very good quality non-spine players to our top 17.

If you've only got one top-line half, the risk is that you'll be rudderless if he gets injured. Or if he's marked out of the game. Or if he has a form slump. Etc, etc, etc. That's why it's better to have your 'second half' at least competent enough to take over the running of the side if he needs to. At the moment Gutherson can't do that - but, as some people are saying, he might develop to that point.

lingard

Coach
Only made 17 in 24 games last year. He is clearly having a bad year. Maybe he is distracted by trying to sort his future out? Apparently most players lose form during contract negotiations, contrary to the popular rejoinder that "So-and-so only puts in when off contract". Of course there would also be players that fit this bill.

Lovely word, that. Don't see it anywhere near enough on this forum.