What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Choose is a word I always enjoy. It's a simple word, but I like it. For example

"A great many LU Parramatta Forum posters seemingly failed to realise they could choose not to engage in threads they did not like...."
I really like it too. It's quite like cheese, which I don't care for. But I'm a big fan of the word.

When judging the quality of a playmaker I reckon LBAs and TAs are far more important than finishing stats (i.e. linebreaks and tries).
You're saying that making a line break is less important than creating a lb for someone else? And scoring a try is less important than creating a try for someone else? How is that? It all counts the same on the scoreboard.

Happy MEel

First Grade
That's a fair point but if a half is making those line breaks and scoring the tries, there's a good chance they've done it off their own bat rather than being put through a hole by somebody else.

bartman

Immortal
And Pou's talkimg about jusging a playmaker, not just any player.

It follows that Hayne's reputation as a playmaker rests upon his LBA or TA stats since his retuen to league... so as suspected, he's not a playmaker's arsehole.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You're saying that making a line break is less important than creating a lb for someone else? And scoring a try is less important than creating a try for someone else? How is that? It all counts the same on the scoreboard.
No I'm saying creating them for someone else is a rarer and more valuable talent. Creating linebreaks and scoring tries is nice, but an indicator that a player is having those created by someone else. If you have a good playmaker anyone can break the line and score tries.

I think the point is that, in general, it is harder to put someone through a gap (at NRL level) than it is to run good lines. It's a scarcer skill.
That's a fair point but if a half is making those line breaks and scoring the tries, there's a good chance they've done it off their own bat rather than being put through a hole by somebody else.
No I'm saying creating them for someone else is a rarer and more valuable talent. Creating linebreaks and scoring tries is nice, but an indicator that a player is having those created by someone else. If you have a good playmaker anyone can break the line and score tries.
Yes, I was talking about lbs and tries they've created themselves. Austin doesn't seem to have those created for him, he just has abilities most other halves don't. Although he's poorer at other stuff.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If that were the case Austin would have more LBAs/game than his outside men Whitehead, Leilua and Wighton. Instead he has less. His job is to either shovel early ball out to these better playmakers and support on the inside, or dummy-and-go if the defence overcommits. It's not really what we need, since Gutherson already plays a similar role for us. This will become even more evident when Edwards returns.