What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge

Vote for next coach after Madge - possibles.

• Tooves

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Cartwright

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Furner

• Dean Pay

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Another Assistant coach from top tier club

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Taylor (Rip)- New South Wales cup best coach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Madge with a fair pay cut.

• Gardiner (bears)- going ok with so so side

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Bradford ( super league)- uber coach

• None of the above, I will nominate my own schmukles.

• Total voters

greg jay

Juniors
As others have mentioned on here it's not solely Madge's fault that Souths are where they are, blame has to be put on the senior players as well as the hierarchy within the club.

There is a very long list of both half-backs and hookers that have left the club. Yes you are always gonna get players leave for various reasons but for me a lot have left due to the short-sightedness of the club thinking certain players were surplus to requirement and this comes from those in-charge not just the coach.

Madge can only coach/manage those players that are given to him, having said that to keep putting Talakai on the pitch for 80 minutes week after week is a massive mistake and to play to a very similar game-plan week in week out is not acceptable.

Souths are in dire need of some hard running, skilful back-rowers in the mould of dare I say it Glen Stewart (but without the problems he brought to the club) or a Luke Lewis to give the opposing defences something to worry about because it's so predictable on the second and third play of the balls to where the ball is going.

For me the following players need to be shipped out..... GI (knackered), either one of the Burgess Twins (living off a reputation) and Kyle Turner (decent player but never reached the heights as expected)

This would give the remainder of the team the kick up the backside that is needed and to show that no one is safe from being shown the door and also free up a lot of cash!

If we sign a couple of (very decent player makers and a back-up hooker for Cook) over the next few months, to then start training with the squad in November, I would then give Madge until R5 or R6 and if we are still playing the predictable 4-5 hit-ups and then kick, then I think he (Madge) should then be replaced.
Agreement with much of what you say. For others here its pure HERESY to advocate offloading Inglis or even Sam even in a side that is plemmeting to The Bottom.

greg jay

Juniors
no coach can do well with no cattle.....madge has no cattle and bennett has a squad of cattle thats over the cap.....
Seriously? Bennet has guys like Thaiday Sims Marshall Blair plus some outside backs that are not very good. Are these guys much better than Cherrington and Rochow??? I dont see it. If "Madge" is a Good Coach then why did he agree to offload Dylan Walker and why on earth does he continually start Talakai in The Centres when the team is 1-6 with him playing there????

greg jay

Juniors
What if Madge is not the problem but poor recruitment is. What if we go back to what worked in 2013-14. Sign players similar to Walker, Auva'a, Te'o, Tuqiri, Mcqueen, Luke/Koroisau?
Smiths crisps CANNOT sign any "good players" because of the Cap Space absorbed by Inglis + Reynolds + Burgess Brothers. This is an empirical FACT. Hence unless change is made to this structural constraint to the Roster little change can be expected. The only other option here is to SACK MAGUIRE. See if a new Head Coach can reignite some FIRE into this core group.

CAFPOW

Juniors
Smiths crisps CANNOT sign any "good players" because of the Cap Space absorbed by Inglis + Reynolds + Burgess Brothers. This is an empirical FACT. Hence unless change is made to this structural constraint to the Roster little change can be expected. The only other option here is to SACK MAGUIRE. See if a new Head Coach can reignite some FIRE into this core group.

The Burgess Bros are off contract at the end of next year. I think we can reduce their salary during negotiation if that is possible. I believe signing Reynolds for 5 year and GI for 4 years was a big mistake. So, let's try and get the right players in the right positions first for next year. Players that Madge wants and need and if we miss the 8 next year, then it is time for Madge to go.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
So a month on without much success. Where does everyone stand on the topic of Madge?

Personally I feel like the time has come for change, only because I can't see anything on the horizon that will swing the teams performance a full 180.

southsport

First Grade
So a month on without much success. Where does everyone stand on the topic of Madge?

Personally I feel like the time has come for change, only because I can't see anything on the horizon that will swing the teams performance a full 180.

Time for a change I think.

Dogmatix

Juniors
Before getting rid of Maguire Souths need to clean out their recruiters

Get rid of those who let Keary and Dylan Walker go. Get rid of those who let both Koroisau and McInnes go and then bought Farah and Cook on overs

The turning point in Souths' rise from 2007 onwards was signing a good talent scout in Mark Hughes. The next turning point leading to Souths' decline was when they axed Mark Hughes in mid 2014. It is not rocket science. Good talent scouts are gold to sporting teams. Souths simply replaced Hughes with the former U20s coach instead of getting a proper talent scout in. Now Richo who is a CEO not a talent scout is in charge of recruiting. The whole thing is a shambles

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
Before getting rid of Maguire Souths need to clean out their recruiters

Get rid of those who let Keary and Dylan Walker go. Get rid of those who let both Koroisau and McInnes go and then bought Farah and Cook on overs

The turning point in Souths' rise from 2007 onwards was signing a good talent scout in Mark Hughes. The next turning point leading to Souths' decline was when they axed Mark Hughes in mid 2014. It is not rocket science. Good talent scouts are gold to sporting teams. Souths simply replaced Hughes with the former U20s coach instead of getting a proper talent scout in. Now Richo who is a CEO not a talent scout is in charge of recruiting. The whole thing is a shambles

dogmatix your wrong about mcinnes he is a dud just like clark turner and tyrrell and nielsen and kelly to name a few geeeez mate i was sucking on 2 bottles of fine champagne celebrating when mcinnes got the flick that was a glorious day just ask r20 he knows im right....Shadow...

Dogmatix

Juniors
shadow

you might be right about McInnes. He was always too slow getting the ball away from dummy half when at Souths. If he could fix that then he could turn into a good player as he was a good defender. Not sure if he can fix this though

The key point is if Maguire leaves Souths I can see him winning another premiership with another club who have proper recruitment systems in place. Souths should fix the recruitment first before punting Maguire and see how he goes with better talent to work with

Rabbits20

Immortal
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Under Madge it was 67 and 38 out of 105 matches equalling 64 percent win rate.

2016 & 17

Under Madge it is 13 and 23 out of 36 matches equalling 36 percent win rate.

Overall under Madge it's 80 and 61 out of 141 matches equalling 56.5 percent win rate.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
shadow

you might be right about McInnes. He was always too slow getting the ball away from dummy half when at Souths. If he could fix that then he could turn into a good player as he was a good defender. Not sure if he can fix this though

The key point is if Maguire leaves Souths I can see him winning another premiership with another club who have proper recruitment systems in place. Souths should fix the recruitment first before punting Maguire and see how he goes with better talent to work with

dogmatix as you know madge is not the problem the problem is we have lost many of our best players after 2014 and then went on a dud players blinding spending spree fug me its .! I thought we had 15 duds to off load now i read r20""s post and he has 22 players to off load which is undeniably the real under lying truth and problem here....thank god r20 sees the actual problems that we have at souths at present though not many can see it on here .....Shadow...

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
r20 talks facts that are true he rarely misses a beat but on here its truly a waste of time posting on here by r20, becoz actual simplified logic in footy does not belong in here becoz the dont knowers on here are testament to that .

Rabbits20

Immortal
r20 talks facts that are true he rarely misses a beat but on here its truly a waste of time posting on here by r20, becoz actual simplified logic in footy does not belong in here becoz the dont knowers on here are testament to that .
Hopefully soon they will see what we saw before a ball was kicked off.

I tried telling Callmack...........

Rabbits20

Immortal
dogmatix as you know madge is not the problem the problem is we have lost many of our best players after 2014 and then went on a dud players blinding spending spree fug me its .! I thought we had 15 duds to off load now i read r20""s post and he has 22 players to off load which is undeniably the real under lying truth and problem here....thank god r20 sees the actual problems that we have at souths at present though not many can see it on here .....Shadow...
Farah, Sutto and Goodwin need to retire.

AR is too fragile.

Then we have 18 others.

The more I think of it a new coach can't fix that.

southsport

First Grade
shadow

Maguire installed the recruitment system he wanted after he sacked Mark Hughes, that's when the slide started.

I keep hearing people saying Madge doesn't have the players to play the game plan he has...that he can't do the power game circa 2014.

My question is: why hasn't he adapted his game plan.

Souths 2017 squad is no worse and probably a bit better than some teams. The Burgess twins are lugs at the moment. Surely starting the game with both of them in a 1-2 pow hit would be better than playing one and subbing the other? We can't afford to keep the powder dry...just f**king explode from the get go. Get our biggest, best pack out there and go from there.

If Madge can't get the team to 10 or above this year, I think he should be replaced. He's had 3 great years, a mediocre one and two poor ones. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but I think the message is stale.

We're also starting to recruit some young talent that has the ability to go places in a couple of years...we need to harness that talent now. Whether or not Madge is coach is neither here nor there for me. Again, benefit of the doubt but the season would have to finish with at least 6-8 more wins for mine.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't call 2015 mediocre like others.

At least we made a finals match in 2015 so it was a pass mark for me.

Curns13

Juniors
What is your first language? You do a great job with English considering you must have only started learning it.