What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor - contract extension

WardyRedV

Juniors
Personally think this was a good option by the club seeing as all the players obviously want to play for him and he seems to have learnt from last year. 2018 is definitely going to be exciting with Ben Hunt coming and our juniors all having a year against men under their belt. Field and Sele have both been given runs this year and Host has spent a bit of time in first grade already. We have a fully stacked first grade squad which is winning at the moment so there isn't really much else he can do for the youngsters but I'm sure they will get their chance (Millward stated that Robson will be one of our hookers next year and after watching the u20s origin I really can't wait). I thought this year was going to be a complete disaster but it's been awesome so far but I don't know how long you need to be a Dragons fan before even winning is portrayed in a negative light.

I wanted Mary's head last year but hey, what can you do?

FireRedV

Juniors
HE IS NOT CAPABLE OF WINNING US A PREMIERSHIP, PLEASE OTHERWISE ADVISE WHY HIS CONTRACT SHOULD BE EXTENDED. I CAN'T STAND THIS INHERENT DESIRE FOR MEDIOCRITY (WHICH IS EVERYTHING SHORT OF PREMIERSHIP ASPIRATIONS).

Straight Shooter
For a guy who likes to write "straight shooter" at the end of his words you write some extremely curvy bullshit bro. If you call 3rd on the ladder after last years effort mediocrity then your judgement is just as bendy.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Well here's to another 2-3 more years without a Premiership plus another re-build in 5 or so years thanks to Millward and co tying our entire salary cap up in Widdop and Ben "will never play rep footy but gets paid as much as Cameron Smith" Hunt.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Would have preferred to wait a bit longer, but ultimately pretty happy with this.

This is gonna get a lot of laughs, memes and dismissals, but this pretty much had to happen at this point. I think he's hardly an elite coach, but is growing in the role well, and ABOVE ALL, has has the 100%, unanimous, fighting and passionate support of our playing group.

They are tighter than ever, everyone has an excellent mentality, and playing their skin out for each other when they were spoon contenders. And everyone is surprised at this 2017 success except Mary and the team. They have confidence I've not seen in a Dragons team since the Bennett era. And to throw away a key part of what got this ball rolling (albiet late, but it happened) would be a waste of momentum. I talked at the start of the year about how much I wanted Des Hasler or Toovey to come in, and sack Mary now, but I've flipped completely.

Yeah I would have rathered wait until the end of the season. But if this clears Mary's head even more to push hard in the back half, I'm all for it. And before people bring up 2015, yes we were in a similar position on the ladder, but even then there wasn't a level of coherence or excitement I feel among the team this year. And with Ben Hunt coming, we'll have one of the best halves pairings in the comp to go with one of the best packs (provided we replace Packer well.)

I am very optimistic about this and if you told me this just 4 months ago I'd have laughed and probably boycotted the team. But I was wrong and Mary has earnt a shot.

Saintsified

Bench
Stop whinging members, you had your chance to not renew, in protest to change things, I for one cancelled 10 family members memberships and now I can confirm I will not renew for a further two years.

Off course I want my team to do well but even if they won the Grand final I will still want Mary gone and i will continue with my stance, had we of all done that maybe we would get more of our way.

Saintsified

Bench
2012 was my last season as a Red V member.
You became proactive before I did and I commend you for that, f**kwits at the club call me nearly every week if I've changed my mind , they don't give a f**k about my thoughts, one even said we read your comments why you pulled your memberships and with the team going OK now have you reconsidered lol. Yeah right

ALSGI

Bench
Would have preferred to wait a bit longer, but ultimately pretty happy with this.

This is gonna get a lot of laughs, memes and dismissals, but this pretty much had to happen at this point. I think he's hardly an elite coach, but is growing in the role well, and ABOVE ALL, has has the 100%, unanimous, fighting and passionate support of our playing group.

They are tighter than ever, everyone has an excellent mentality, and playing their skin out for each other when they were spoon contenders. And everyone is surprised at this 2017 success except Mary and the team. They have confidence I've not seen in a Dragons team since the Bennett era. And to throw away a key part of what got this ball rolling (albiet late, but it happened) would be a waste of momentum. I talked at the start of the year about how much I wanted Des Hasler or Toovey to come in, and sack Mary now, but I've flipped completely.

Yeah I would have rathered wait until the end of the season. But if this clears Mary's head even more to push hard in the back half, I'm all for it. And before people bring up 2015, yes we were in a similar position on the ladder, but even then there wasn't a level of coherence or excitement I feel among the team this year. And with Ben Hunt coming, we'll have one of the best halves pairings in the comp to go with one of the best packs (provided we replace Packer well.)

I am very optimistic about this and if you told me this just 4 months ago I'd have laughed and probably boycotted the team. But I was wrong and Mary has earnt a shot.
Nicely said Brutal.

mickeylane

Bench
Paul McGregor signs two-year deal to remain coach of St George Illawarra until 2019

PAUL McGregor has put an end to six months of uncertainty by remaining head coach of St George-Illawarra until the end of 2019 after inking a new two-year deal with the club.

Beginning 2017 without a deal for next season, a relieved McGregor informed the entire playing roster of the positive news during Wednesday’s training session in Wollongong.

The Dragons hierarchy ensured months of speculation over McGregor’s future could be resolved by formalising a deal over the last 24-hours which reflects the 49 year-old’s outstanding effort to inject new life into the Red-V.

Currently sitting third on the NRL ladder after 13-rounds, the Dragons have enjoyed their best results at the halfway point of a season in two years.

Having failed to make last year’s finals in 11th position, McGregor accepted the club’s decision to undergo a comprehensive review at the end of last season.

As a result of the review, St George Dragons legend Mark Coyne was appointed to be part of a four-person committee signed to improve the club’s high performance.

McGregor also relinquished the role of recruitment.

He began the year hopeful — but far from confident — that as result of the player’s increased fitness levels, coupled with the arrival of talented hooker Cameron McInnes and hard-running prop Paul Vaughan, that he could show the Dragons hierarchy why he deserved to be retained beyond this season.

News of the contract extension caps an emotional and agonising week for McGregor, who sadly lost his mother Jean, to a stroke last weekend.

The Dragons are expected to announce McGregor’s new deal tomorrow ahead of their pubic holiday Monday clash with Canterbury at ANZ Stadium.

mickeylane

Bench
Well here's to another 2-3 more years without a Premiership plus another re-build in 5 or so years thanks to Millward and co tying our entire salary cap up in Widdop and Ben "will never play rep footy but gets paid as much as Cameron Smith" Hunt.
Your joking arent you? Ben Hunt will be the best halfback by a country mile next year...He's in the top 3 as we speak he will go up a cog out of the Brisbane spotlight...

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Your joking arent you? Ben Hunt will be the best halfback by a country mile next year...He's in the top 3 as we speak he will go up a cog out of the Brisbane spotlight...

Really? You think he's in the top 3 in a competition that includes Thurston, Cronk, Foran, DCE and Pearce? You think he will be better than those 5 by a country mile next year?

Even by your standards this is a ridiculous statement, mickeylane. He ain't a $6 million halfback, simple as that.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Look, I don't mind this. He obviously has the respect of the players and the new philosophy is working.

Should we have waited a little longer? Yes probably. There aren't exactly an array of clubs who would be vying for his signature so there was no rush.
But to people who are genuinely upset by this, I just have one question for you. What's the alternative? Which coach currently off contract at the end of 2017 would you have instead?
Madge? Please. I have never rated him as a coach and I feel like he is slowly depreciating as a genuine NRL coach. Wouldn't surprised to see him drop to an assistant coach somewhere in a year or two.
The only other coach off contract is Bennett and that will never happen.
There aren't any coaches in the Super League screaming out their name either.

It was a safe bet and probably the right decision, let's see if this new winning formula continues.

ALSGI

Bench
Really? You think he's in the top 3 in a competition that includes Thurston, Cronk, Foran, DCE and Pearce? You think he will be better than those 5 by a country mile next year?

Even by your standards this is a ridiculous statement, mickeylane. He ain't a $6 million halfback, simple as that.
Barring injury, I think he will be an elite halfback, and will play for Qld and Aus next year.

Mate, you're a doughnut.
He has us sitting 3rd even with injuries to key players because of the decisions he's making.
Just accept that he is gangster this year and has earned an extension.

We lost 3 in a row because of the decisions he made when injuries hit and gained nothing but okay bud and what about the other years the full years.

Latest posts