What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

TheFrog

Coach
Hayne and Graham were hugely responsible for NSW losing that game.

If Hayne passed to BMoz NSW win. If Graham tackles McGuire or doesn't strip Napa NSW most likely win.

They both plodded it up.

But no, let's dedicate a thread to Pearce instead...
Pearce tackled well, and scored a try. It was by no means his worst Origin game. BUT he once again showed he is incapable of organising and running the NSW side, which was the reason he was selected. He also kicked down the throat of Slater and Gagai all night. One good kick out of about 15.

He will not be dropped for the final game, but he's shown once again he is not what he was built up to be prior to this series.

And while I'm here, it takes more than a bum chin to make a good state captain.

Tommy Smith

Referee
So NSW win game 1 and Cordner is a good captain.

NSW lose game 2 so Cordner is now a poor captain.

I see a trend there.

Tommy Smith

Referee
And it'll make you happy to know Froggy that I believe Moylan should be there for game 3.

He's a freak ballplayer that would have QLD worried.

Pearce has scored two tries this series. Maloney has made a couple of mistakes and given away a few penalties. Hence: Maloney will be dropped next year and Pearce will be a Blues half for the next 3 years.

Knightmare

Coach
Pearce is fine when playing to a set game-plan or chasing the centres/ front-rowers as second receiver from a line-break.

But what's been emphasised the past two games is his inability to put on an impromptu play, or to adequately stand up when the situation demands a 'clutch' type player. Last night was his night to do this. The last 15 minutes was his time to apply genuine pressure to Qld, give them the run-around with his 6th tackle kicks. It was his night to show why the people who've backed him time and time again had a point all along.

Instead there were more predictable bombs and poorly thought-out kicks that led to Qld getting 7 tackles running out from their line. He was a passenger in the last 15 minutes. When it was the perfect time for him to throw everything at steering his team home and winning the game for NSW, he joined certain other players in doing the "one-out" to wind down the clock.

If Mitchell thought NSW could win the game by shutting up shop with a 4-6 point lead, he should've watched a replay of the 2015 Grand Final.

Or better still, spoken to his dad about how that worked out for his Tigers in the '89 Grand Final...

Unless there's an injury, a girl in a yellow dress or a stray dog, I hope Mitch gets the call up for Game 3. But unless he gives the NSW attack a distinct edge and makes a tangible, positive difference for them on-field?

Then so long and farewell. Time to blood Moylan instead...

Pearce will be there for many years to come. Thank you GOD. Just watch as Laurie comes out in his defense. Let's predict the script:

"The criticism against Mitchell is unfair. He was one of our best on the park the other night. He has scored 2 tries this series. There are many other reasons why we didn't win that game. He is our best half. He is our most experienced Origin halfback."

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Can you believe that Mitchell Pearce is 45 years old now and that after 800 NRL games that he still doesn't know how to have a proper kicking game,the dumbest human to ever play Rugby League

betcats

Referee
Honestly Pearce was far from our worst last night but it was another chance for him to step up and lead the team like a good half back does and he couldn't do it. He is there to direct and lead our attack and its not happening, added to that he cannot be relied upon in close game situations which is most origins nsw win these days. Just move the f**k on from this bloke, he is not up to origin no matter how many of his dads dinosaur mates tell us the opposite.

Honestly Pearce was far from our worst last night but it was another chance for him to step up and lead the team like a good half back does and he couldn't do it. He is there to direct and lead our attack and its not happening, added to that he cannot be relied upon in close game situations which is most origins nsw win these days. Just move the f**k on from this bloke, he is not up to origin no matter how many of his dads dinosaur mates tell us the opposite.
I said exactly that prior to Game 1.

Look to the Blues upper level decision makers if you want to find out where the extra big fook ups are taking place. The mayhem which is the results since 2005 all flow from the top down. The screwed-up mind-set and the poor selections cream NSW' chances before they even step off the bus.

T-Boon

Coach
I am amazed that deliberately bombing down the fullbacks throat from halfway is now considered a good football.
If the defence catches a kick on the full they should get some sort of advantage - maybe a free play or they should get to play the ball from where it was kicked.

alchemist

Juniors
Pearce has had a very good club career and has a premiership win with the Roosters... well done to him for that... his passing and kicking games are also very good at FG level

but he has consistently shown that he is not an Origin half... that is not to say i think he was poor last night, especially in comparison to some of his other teammates (eg. Hayne, Graham), but he is unable to control Origin matches with his direction and kicking, he is unable to apply pressure, and he won't come up with the crucial play on a 5th tackle when protecting a lead or chasing a game

if NSW lose Game III, as i expect them to, then Pearce should not be relied upon for 2018 onwards... he would have had so many opportunities in the Blues jersey for NO series wins

the problem for NSW is that we have no Origin standard halfbacks at all --> A. Reynolds cannot challenge the line, Hodkinson's knees are gone and he was with all due respect never that good to begin with, Brooks and Moses have not lived up to the potential/hype (at least not yet), Cleary is too young etc.

a Moylan and Maloney combination seems to be the only other possibility at the present time

Pearce has had a very good club career and has a premiership win with the Roosters... well done to him for that... his passing and kicking games are also very good at FG level

but he has consistently shown that he is not an Origin half... that is not to say i think he was poor last night, especially in comparison to some of his other teammates (eg. Hayne, Graham), but he is unable to control Origin matches with his direction and kicking, he is unable to apply pressure, and he won't come up with the crucial play on a 5th tackle when protecting a lead or chasing a game

if NSW lose Game III, as i expect them to, then Pearce should not be relied upon for 2018 onwards... he would have had so many opportunities in the Blues jersey for NO series wins

the problem for NSW is that we have no Origin standard halfbacks at all --> A. Reynolds cannot challenge the line, Hodkinson's knees are gone and he was with all due respect never that good to begin with, Brooks and Moses have not lived up to the potential/hype (at least not yet), Cleary is too young etc.

a Moylan and Maloney combination seems to be the only other possibility at the present time
Your kidding right? Let me get this straight:

You somehow think that Mitchell Pearce being crap at Origin level equates to him not being suitable to play at that level?

What planet are you from?

carcharias

Immortal
I'm sure that QLD aren't embarrassed by thwarting NSW's hopes of winning the series in front of their fans.
I hope the QLD players are as convinced as you.

Just scrapping home by 2 points in the dying minutes.
Lucky Hayne threw the game away 4 of 5 times.

JT can sit next to Milford next game ey?

Latest posts