What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

decking oil tyrns to gel

coolsteve

Juniors
any you builders help me, have 10l feast watson decking oil(at least 3 years old
) that has turned to gel, can i revive it ? maybe thin it with petrol? thanks

It doesn't expire, it just separates. You need to stir the shit out of it and I mean, get a bit of dow or something and stir it for ages until it gets back to the right consistency. You may be stirring for a good 10 - 15 minutes by the sound of it but eventually it'll come back to good.

coolsteve

Juniors
It doesn't expire, it just separates. You need to stir the shit out of it and I mean, get a bit of dow or something and stir it for ages until it gets back to the right consistency. You may be stirring for a good 10 - 15 minutes by the sound of it but eventually it'll come back to good.
I stirred it up with a drill and beater and it thinned out slightly but quickly turned back to gel. priced 10l today , $210, ouch

Hmm, you could probably thin it out with a little mineral turpentine...

That should break it down again.

Stir it with the drill again until it gets back to a liquid consistency and then add a cap or so of turps. Keep stirring.

Hopefully that should keep it uncured for long enough for you to use it.

coolsteve

Juniors
One word for product reliability that will last a long time, but is expensive......Sikkens.
na sikkens(stain)it for first 6 years . wish I had gone with oil first up but thanks different rabbit . the thinners worked. 2 hungy still in pocket

Last edited by a moderator:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah turps/thinners is the go. Basically the more volatile solvents in it will evaporate with time leaving the sludge, the thinners pretty much just puts them back.

Latest posts