What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

T-Boon

Coach
The Bears are pathetic. Thats it, we are kicking them out of B-League and that is saying a lot as, looking back, I am confused about whether B-League ever existed in the first place.

THE North Sydney Bears say their bid for the Titans will help a Gold Coast NRL team become a truly sustainable product by bringing another “metropolis” to the potential supporter base.

The Bears are ready to submit a tender for the Titans when the NRL officially announces the process, something that is expected to happen as soon as next week after the successful sale of the Newcastle Knights.

If successful with their bid, the Bears are planning to play 11 of their 12 home games on the Coast and chairman Perry Lopez says the foundation club’s tender should not be seen as a takeover.

Instead, he has likened it to the South Melbourne Football Club’s transition to the Sydney Swans, with the history and supporters of the foundation organisation integrated into the new outfit, while adding a new population base of fans to help the club grow.

“If you look at the Swans and South Melbourne, when the South Melbourne Football Club folded and decided that they had to change or else they would die, they came to Sydney,” Lopez said.

“The Sydney Swans have always maintained that they are part of the South Melbourne Football Club.

“And the South Melbourne Football Club is always part of the Swans.

“(The Bears buyout of the Titans) is the same model. It drives two communities together to ensure the sustainability of a club and a fantastic football region in the Gold Coast and now we can have an emerging region on the North Shore.

“It’s really fantastic opportunity for rugby league.”

772b49c8ee44062908d43af2b8a4ecb5

Action from a Gold Coast v North Sydney match at North Sydney Oval in 1995.
The NRL has made it clear it wants a club on the Gold Coast and any Bears buyout would not include a relocation of the club.

“This isn’t about taking rugby league away from the Gold Coast, that’s got to be driven out of the communication,” Lopez said.

“It’s not about a North Sydney takeover at all.

“This is about a Gold Coast franchise driving sustainability, IP, heritage club, colours and it’s a similar, if not the same kind of model you’ve seen with the Swans.

“And look how prosperous they’ve become.”

A successful Bears bid would mean the end for the Titans brand though.

ADVERTISEMENT
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
The Bears moniker would be used, along with the club’s intellectual property, logos and branding giving the Gold Coast its sixth incarnation after the Giants, Seagulls, Gladiators, Chargers and Titans.

It’s the point that will be the hardest sell for the Bears consortium, with the NRL wary of more change after a period of relative stability after the financial troubles that almost sent the club under more than two years ago.

But Lopez said change was needed.

“(The Titans) have done a great job to get to where they are today but I think we need to rethink how rugby league is going to survive and prosper on the Gold Coast,” he said.

“When you look at membership for example, you need to be growing membership to a point where you can get to 20,000 and drive additional revenues for the club and foot traffic.

“I just don’t think it’s do-able on the Coast.

“You need a new model, a model that’s going to bring another metropolis and that’s what this does.

“The colours and the IP that this new consortium can use brings all of the people who were Bears supporters back into the fray and they get an opportunity to become part of a club again.

“That means revenue, that means more people coming to games, more eyeballs on the TV, it just is a fantastic model.”

The Bears are far from the only option though.

Titans White Knight and current board member Darryl Kelly has assembled a group of local businesspeople - including the family of chairwoman Rebecca Frizelle – ready to support the club to stay on the Coast and has a business plan he believes can be at least cost neutral.

Two other Gold Coast groups are also understood to be interested to tender when the NRL officials puts the club to sale.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...r/news-story/7a87a5e61b87f30bf2de161494097b2e

Last edited:

DlEHARD

Juniors
The difference being that each of the relocated or merged AFL clubs were relocated to an EXPANSION AREA, not a heartland, which is what Queensland is! It's an absolute insult to see the Bears trying to murder a Queensland club, especially after we have been forced to see the collapse of many traditional BRL clubs and the eclipse of the competition itself. Little help from the NRL or NSWRL or ARL in those days.

Golden point

Juniors
Do you think they realize that they can't be called the bears because there is already the burleigh bears in the Q cup?
That is why they had to dump the " Dolphins " name because of Redcliffe.
Also this doesn't create more fans... it turns them away! I follow the titans and 1 more name change and I won't have anything to do with them.. I imagine it would be the same for many on the gold coast.
Does anyone realize just how stupid this is? We have too many Sydney clubs and this ads to that .. just ridiculous.

Golden point

Juniors
The difference being that each of the relocated or merged AFL clubs were relocated to an EXPANSION AREA, not a heartland, which is what Queensland is! It's an absolute insult to see the Bears trying to murder a Queensland club, especially after we have been forced to see the collapse of many traditional BRL clubs and the eclipse of the competition itself. Little help from the NRL or NSWRL or ARL in those days.
The bears trying to make it sound like a step forward is like listening to flat earth theory but this is rugby league and if it sounds stupid enough it might just happen :frowning:

taipan

Referee
The Bears should be involved in areas such as Adelaide or even Perth.The Titans are finally getting their act together and are stable, and the Titan's brand is synonymous with the GC,and the Bears want to come in and change the name.Some people just don;t get it ,when it comes to dealing with the bread and butter fans.

T-Boon

Coach
The Bears should be involved in areas such as Adelaide or even Perth.

The reason they don't is they know the NRLs policy on expansion is basically come see us in 20 years.
Cynicism aside, I agree they should start up in Perth now.
Play NSW cup under the name Western Bears have several games in Perth each year and so on...

T-Boon

Coach
Why don't Newtown buy the Broncos then they could be called the Jets and play 1 game a year in Newtown...?

Because the obvious thing to do is relocate the Broncos to PNG. So it would be the PNG Jets.
That way you could just start a fresh in Brisbane and have 3 teams like there should have been to begin with. Combined Brisbane Elephants, Brisbane Red Bulls and South Brisbane Crushers.

Golden point

Juniors
Because the obvious thing to do is relocate the Broncos to PNG. So it would be the PNG Jets.
That way you could just start a fresh in Brisbane and have 3 teams like there should have been to begin with. Combined Brisbane Elephants, Brisbane Red Bulls and South Brisbane Crushers.
I like it if it is then bought by the perth franchise... then they really would be the Jets...or at least on 1 most of the time.
But to be honest the perth Jets would most likely end up being bought by the wests magpies so that they can play a local derby against themselves... in perth...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing against the bears, they are just trying to do what's best for them, but this would be a disaster for RL on Gold Coast I feel. First what Queenslander is going to support a historic nsw club? Second the last thing Gold Coast need is another brand change, thirdly I'm not convinced the bears organisation has significant spare funds, and lastly the nsw media every year would be full of speculation about the failing GC bears and are they moving back to Sydney.

Hopefully the GC business consortium buy the club soon and get them back on track off the field.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Yeh, Bears might work in Adelaide or Perth, but i dont think SEQLD (an area with its own proud RL history) would accept a transplanted NSW reject.

And if the Titans are now so happy to jump on board with an interstate team, why ARENT they talking up Perth or Adelaide?

Do you think they realize that they can't be called the bears because there is already the burleigh bears in the Q cup?
That is why they had to dump the " Dolphins " name because of Redcliffe.
Also this doesn't create more fans... it turns them away! I follow the titans and 1 more name change and I won't have anything to do with them.. I imagine it would be the same for many on the gold coast.
Does anyone realize just how stupid this is? We have too many Sydney clubs and this ads to that .. just ridiculous.

Im fairly sure the Titans chose to drop "Dolphins" after Redcliffe complained. They could have gone ahead with it, but they didnt want their first act to be pissing of a chunk of local RL fans (in hind sight, pissing them off might not have been such a bad idea. Immediate rivalry right there)...

T-Boon

Coach
MELBOURNE JETS!! MELBOURNE JETS!!

Hipster club for the hipster city, and the colours are vaguely the same.

MELBOURNE JETS!!

Suddenly Sydney games involving a Melbourne team would get away attendees. Like freakin thousand of them.