What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

greenBV4

Bench
Smith will probably be gone by then. You cannot honestly say they will still dominate when those two are gone.
People said we'd fall apart when cronk left, then when slater left, then said we wouldnt make the 8 last year, then the same this year.

No team can ever stay on top forever, but if any club can cling on its the Melbourne Storm

And regardless, of all places to drop off in numbers due to performance, Melbourne would be one of the lesser effected places, people down here live and breath sport. Obviously the Storm have never been tested with this, but I'm confident the club isn't going to fold like you are suggesting.

People said we'd fall apart when cronk left, then when slater left, then said we wouldnt make the 8 last year, then the same this year.

No team can ever stay on top forever, but if any club can cling on its the Melbourne Storm

And regardless, of all places to drop off in numbers due to performance, Melbourne would be one of the lesser effected places, people down here live and breath sport. Obviously the Storm have never been tested with this, but I'm confident the club isn't going to fold like you are suggesting.
I remember the period from 2001 to 2005. The Storm's average dipped below 10,000, and they only missed the finals twice if my memory is correct.

I look at the Storm's average and compare it to the Victory soccer club. I am astounded that a soccer club can draw more fans when it has two other soccer clubs to compete with in its own city. It makes me worry about the Storm when things don't go to plan on field. Maybe they will be fine, but I am not overly confident given the game's failed attempts at expansion in Perth, Adelaide, London, Paris and Wales.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're a disingenuous bugger, aren't ya?

if that isNt just the kettle calling the pot!
you keep A) stating opinion and future possibilities as fact and b) assign issues to Melbourne like it would only happen to them when in reality every club is exactly the same. take your latest bs about their crowds. Some facts for you
1. Every clubs crowds go up and down depending on form
2. Most clubs don’t reach Melbournes current consistent crowd level even with success
3. We dont know if or when storms form will drop or what impact level it will have on crowds. They will likely go down but hopefully not by too big a % and the higher we can get them now the less impacting the drop will be.

here’s some examples just for you
Cowboys max 20k min 13k
Eels max 18k min 11k
Souths max 22k min 11k
Penrith max 17k min 10k
Roosters max 19k min 10k
Wests max 17k min 11k
Newcastle max 19k min 14k
Canterbury max 23k min 14k
Manly max 15k min 8k
Cronulla max 14k min 11k

so there you have it, heartland or expansion club, crowds go up and down lol

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I remember the period from 2001 to 2005. The Storm's average dipped below 10,000, and they only missed the finals twice if my memory is correct.

I look at the Storm's average and compare it to the Victory soccer club. I am astounded that a soccer club can draw more fans when it has two other soccer clubs to compete with in its own city. It makes me worry about the Storm when things don't go to plan on field. Maybe they will be fine, but I am not overly confident given the game's failed attempts at expansion in Perth, Adelaide, London, Paris and Wales.

again your being selective with your statistics.
Storms avg crowd from 2001-2007 was 9-11k regardless of form. There was little drop off.: 2008 -2012 crowds were 12-14k, 2013 there was a peak of 16k before the drop back to 13-14k for next two seasons. 2016 was when the consistent growth occurred with the last 4 seasons hitting 17-18k avg. the second best consistent crowd support over that period in the nrl. Long may it continue.

again your being selective with your statistics.
Storms avg crowd from 2001-2007 was 9-11k regardless of form. There was little drop off.: 2008 -2012 crowds were 12-14k, 2013 there was a peak of 16k before the drop back to 13-14k for next two seasons. 2016 was when the consistent growth occurred with the last 4 seasons hitting 17-18k avg. the second best consistent crowd support over that period in the nrl. Long may it continue.
There's a difference between your and you're, you know. Try learning it.

Storm's attendances were around 11,000 in their first few years, which included a premiership in their second season. They dropped to 9,000 when the club stopped being world beaters.

No club has had the sustained success of the Storm and you know it. They are also the only club in a city of 5 million that claims to be the sports capital of the world. The Melbourne Victory were getting almost 30,000 until a second soccer club was introduced. Now there's a 3rd soccer club in Melbourne and the Victory still average more than the Storm.

To claim they are a success regarding their crowds and TV ratings in Melbourne is delusional.

I have no doubt the ARLC looks at the minimal gains in Melbourne and think twice about venturing into Perth and Adelaide. The only reason they've persisted with Melbourne is because it is the 2nd largest city and the home of AwFuL. Perth and Adelaide don't have anything special about them, which rules out the NRL bending over backwards to make franchises in those cities work.

I still find it hilarious that the so called sports capital can only average 18,000 for a team that is in the top 4 every year. When the Lions were given similar advantages to make them winners they were averaging 30,000. They still got more to their games than the Storm when they were anchored to the bottom of the ladder and had the Suns down the road. So please forgive me for not sharing your optimism for a club that has had the silver spoon in its mouth from day one and still is light years behind the Lions and Swans.

I do see the irony in you supporting and praising a team that is most likely responsible for killing any chance of Perth and Adelaide ever getting a side. If you think the ARLC, which the clubs have a lot of influence over, will ever say yes to Perth and Adelaide after seeing what was required to get the Storm to this stage, then you're delusional. If there's one club in particular that's deadset against expansion into Adelaide and Perth it is the Storm, as they don't want to share that silver spoon. You only support this vile club because you're jealous of Brisbane and Sydney.

Last edited:
if that isNt just the kettle calling the pot!
you keep A) stating opinion and future possibilities as fact and b) assign issues to Melbourne like it would only happen to them when in reality every club is exactly the same. take your latest bs about their crowds. Some facts for you
1. Every clubs crowds go up and down depending on form
2. Most clubs don’t reach Melbournes current consistent crowd level even with success
3. We dont know if or when storms form will drop or what impact level it will have on crowds. They will likely go down but hopefully not by too big a % and the higher we can get them now the less impacting the drop will be.

here’s some examples just for you
Cowboys max 20k min 13k
Eels max 18k min 11k
Souths max 22k min 11k
Penrith max 17k min 10k
Roosters max 19k min 10k
Wests max 17k min 11k
Newcastle max 19k min 14k
Canterbury max 23k min 14k
Manly max 15k min 8k
Cronulla max 14k min 11k

so there you have it, heartland or expansion club, crowds go up and down lol
You're referring to clubs that cover regional areas and have spent years at the bottom of the ladder. Cowboys averaged more than the Storm in their first two seasons with a club that was hopeless on the field. Townsville only has about 150k people. That right there proves just how much of a failure the Storm have been.

Up until this year the Cowboys played at a stadium that didn't even have built in toilets, yet fans still flocked to see them. Melbourne have never played at a facility that run down.

Manly are a concern and I've said they should relocate to Gosford.

None of the club's you mentioned have had the sustained success that the Storm have enjoyed over the last 15 years. When Melbourne have a few seasons at the bottom we can compare them. But you're disingenuous or slow, possibly both, so there's no chance of getting through to you.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's a difference between your and you're, you know. Try learning it.

Storm's attendances were around 11,000 in their first few years, which included a premiership in their second season. They dropped to 9,000 when the club stopped being world beaters.

No club has had the sustained success of the Storm and you know it. They are also the only club in a city of 5 million that claims to be the sports capital of the world. The Melbourne Victory were getting almost 30,000 until a second soccer club was introduced. Now there's a 3rd soccer club in Melbourne and the Victory still average more than the Storm.

To claim they are a success regarding their crowds and TV ratings in Melbourne is delusional.

I have no doubt the ARLC looks at the minimal gains in Melbourne and think twice about venturing into Perth and Adelaide. The only reason they've persisted with Melbourne is because it is the 2nd largest city and the home of AwFuL. Perth and Adelaide don't have anything special about them, which rules out the NRL bending over backwards to make franchises in those cities work.

I still find it hilarious that the so called sports capital can only average 18,000 for a team that is in the top 4 every year. When the Lions were given similar advantages to make them winners they were averaging 30,000. They still got more to their games than the Storm when they were anchored to the bottom of the ladder and had the Suns down the road. So please forgive me for not sharing your optimism for a club that has had the silver spoon in its mouth from day one and still is light years behind the Lions and Swans.

I do see the irony in you supporting and praising a team that is most likely responsible for killing any chance of Perth and Adelaide ever getting a side. If you think the ARLC, which the clubs have a lot of influence over, will ever say yes to Perth and Adelaide after seeing what was required to get the Storm to this stage, then you're delusional. If there's one club in particular that's deadset against expansion into Adelaide and Perth it is the Storm, as they don't want to share that silver spoon. You only support this vile club because you're jealous of Brisbane and Sydney.

Oh we have a grammar pedant lol!
Roosters have had more success this decade.
Point you totally missed is that all clubs crowds go up and down with on field success or failure. Its not unique to Storm and Storm will ride it out like every other club if and when it happens. The big difference is if you can draw 18k when going well then hopefully you will only drop to 15k when not doing so well. If Storm do that then its not the end of the world and will still see them in the top half of attended clubs. You are entitled to an opinion on if you think 18k for a successful club in a city of 5million is a good result or not, most sensible people will see that its a city of 5million people where AFL is totally dominant, RL has a short history and where the bar for NRL crowds is actually pretty low even in heartland areas. Given the context of all that only a minority would think 18k is not a great result for the game in our only expansion city.

AFL is more popular than NRL as evidenced by the huge gap between all clubs attendances. Expansion or heartland. Why are the Broncos drawing less than the two Perth AFL clubs? why do Sydney clubs draw only a third of AFL clubs in Melbourne? Why does Swans and and Lions draw more than Storm? Why does the AFL earn $271mill a year more than NRL? Its not a Storm issue, its a code issue.

Last edited:
Oh we have a grammar pedant lol!
Roosters have had more success this decade.
Point you totally missed is that all clubs crowds go up and down with on field success or failure. Its not unique to Storm and Storm will ride it out like every other club if and when it happens. The big difference is if you can draw 18k when going well then hopefully you will only drop to 15k when not doing so well. If Storm do that then its not the end of the world and will still see them in the top half of attended clubs. You are entitled to an opinion on if you think 18k for a successful club in a city of 5million is a good result or not, most sensible people will see that its a city of 5million people where AFL is totally dominant, RL has a short history and where the bar for NRL crowds is actually pretty low even in heartland areas. Given the context of all that only a minority would think 18k is not a great result for the game in our only expansion city.

AFL is more popular than NRL as evidenced by the huge gap between all clubs attendances. Expansion or heartland. Why are the Broncos drawing less than the two Perth AFL clubs? why do Sydney clubs draw only a third of AFL clubs in Melbourne? Why does Swans and and Lions draw more than Storm? Why does the AFL earn $271mill a year more than NRL? Its not a Storm issue, its a code issue.
The reason I berated the Storm's crowds is because you are very harsh on Brisbane and Sydney.

Melbourne is always bragging about how it is the sports capital of the world. I want Victorians to put their money where their mouth is and give RL a go like they have with every other game. Until they do that I will not take their claim seriously.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The reason I berated the Storm's crowds is because you are very harsh on Brisbane and Sydney.

Melbourne is always bragging about how it is the sports capital of the world. I want Victorians to put their money where their mouth is and give RL a go like they have with every other game. Until they do that I will not take their claim seriously.

I'm not harsh on Brisbane, Broncos are doing a great job, if only we had more clubs as big as them. Brisbane 2 is a no brainer and has great potential to become a big club if set up right. Sydney is a different kettle of fish. Some of the clubs there are basket cases and very poorly supported in comparison to AFL in Melbourne. Some of the clubs are doing well and a real asset to the game with the potential to keep growing. Others are stuck at a low level with no sign of getting any better.

Again in context of where NRL is in terms of supporter bases and comparison to where the other NRL clubs are at Storm are doing very well and Melbournians are getting out and supporting them in a decent number. They've doubled their crowds in last 20 years. What other NRL club has managed to do that?
Hopefully it keeps growing, the exciting thing abut the Storm is that t has the population to appeal to keep doing so. Storm need to a GA membership like Eels have done to make it more affordable for families, that would help kick them on to the next level and start to hit 20k avg..

I'm not harsh on Brisbane, Broncos are doing a great job, if only we had more clubs as big as them. Brisbane 2 is a no brainer and has great potential to become a big club if set up right. Sydney is a different kettle of fish. Some of the clubs there are basket cases and very poorly supported in comparison to AFL in Melbourne. Some of the clubs are doing well and a real asset to the game with the potential to keep growing. Others are stuck at a low level with no sign of getting any better.

Again in context of where NRL is in terms of supporter bases and comparison to where the other NRL clubs are at Storm are doing very well and Melbournians are getting out and supporting them in a decent number. They've doubled their crowds in last 20 years. What other NRL club has managed to do that?
Hopefully it keeps growing, the exciting thing abut the Storm is that t has the population to appeal to keep doing so. Storm need to a GA membership like Eels have done to make it more affordable for families, that would help kick them on to the next level and start to hit 20k avg..
I don't mind the Broncos existing as the 'glamour' club that has a large fanbase of loyal supporters, but I think that Bris 2 will only work if it is carves out its own niche. Two teams called Brisbane will be hard to differentiate at first glance for new comers. It caused problems in Melbourne with the Victory and Heart. I'd have the 2nd team called South Brisbane or West Brisbane or North Brisbane.

I think 3 teams for the area is ideal over the next 25 years. Broncos are established so they'll be fine. Bris 2 will never be like the Broncos as the two teams will have been created under different circumstances, so best to let it be what it is. A team for people who don't identify with the Broncos, and targeting a large section of Brisbane metro that is far enough away from Red Hill to make residents of that area feel like the new team represents them.

I don't think a new brand like 'Bombers' will work. Out of all the names people have floated around, no one can agree with any one in particular.

The only solution I see is to allow an established brand from the BRL to enter the fray and use its history to lure in existing supporters. From there they can connect with the under 25 demographic. History and nostalgia can be a powerful marketing tool if utilised properly. I know it sounds like they're limiting their fanbase, but I think enough time has passed for young people to not have rusted on hatred for one BRL brand over the other. For older people it will make them feel young again, remember the good times and give them hope that more brands will be resurrected as time goes on.

I think the Titans should be shipped over to Perth and rebranded as the West Coast Pirates if they don't get their act together. Bris 3 could cover the eastern parts of Bris, Redlands, Gold Coast and Tweed. There's over 800,000 people in that catchment. I wouldn't have Brisbane in the team's name. Let them be East Coast. Perth can be West Coast.