What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
Pity you didn't post about it before I brought it up. If you had, people might have thought that it was your original opinion rather than one fabricated to counter the truth of your parroting.

What like how you post your wild conspiracy theories then try and claw back credibility by suggesting that you were joking ?

enhanced-19383-1441396953-1.jpg

hindy111

Post Whore
Supports the eels and only drinks 6 beers a year???

He mustn't watch them too closely!!

I rememebr his mate was pissed once.
They where showing the halftime highlights of Parras 4 tries while dad made a cup of tea.
His mate was cheering, there in again. There in again.

Gronk

Staff member
The Australian people will have their say on legalising same-sex marriage with a postal ballot that will cost $122 million, start in five weeks and be completed by November, enabling Parliament to change the law before Christmas if the Yes vote is carried.

Under a plan signed off on Tuesday by Liberals and Nationals at their joint party room, the Senate will be asked this week to support legislation for a compulsory same-sex marriage plebiscite on Saturday, November 25.

But this option is as good as dead because the Senate parties which voted down legislation to have a plebiscite in February this year, have already vowed to do so again. These are Labor, the Greens, the Nick Xenophon Team, Jacqui Lambie and Derryn Hinch.

So the government will default to plan B, a postal plebiscite which is non-compulsory. The mailout to every registered vote will begin on will begin on September 12 with all responses due by November 7 and with the result to be announced in November 15.

That will also give Parliament time to legislate to change the Marriage Act if the Yes vote was carried.

If the No vote prevails, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told the party room the issue should not come back to the Parliament. But Liberal rebels may again try to force a debate and vote on a private members bill.

Mr Turnbull told reporters he would be supporting a yes vote but not necessarily campaigning for one, giving there were many more important issues occupying both his mind ad that of the voters, including national security, energy and the economy.

"That's my focus, running the country," he said.

To circumvent a legal challenge by same-sex marriage proponents who dispute the government's claim that legislation is not needed for a postal vote, it will be conducted as a survey done by the Australia Bureau of Statistics. Australian Electoral Commission officials will be seconded to the ABS. Finance Minister Mathias Cormann has discretionary powers to appropriate up to $295 million for an ABS "survey" without having the use legislation to appropriate the money. That, he said, would be "more than enough" to cover the $122 million cost.

Mr Turnbull said even though he advocated a yes vote, he would respect the outcome if it were a NO vote.

"I believe relationships, marriages, should be available to people like (wife) Lucy and me, people of different sex, different men and women and also to people of the same-sex," he said.

"Other people have different views on that fundamental issue and I respect their views and are entitled to them."

He urged both sides of the debate to keep it respectful, amid revelations of sordid pamphlets being circulated by religious groups bout the children of same-sex couples.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/news/coalition-s...and-postal-vote-20170807-gxrd1p#ixzz4p8DqWhNL

Noise

Coach
If it is non-compulsory what is most likely to win? A lot of merkins who don't give a shit either way and probably won't vote (like myself) will be counted out so it will be the passionate 'for' minority against the passionate 'against' minority.

Gronk

Staff member
If it is non-compulsory what is most likely to win? A lot of merkins who don't give a shit either way and probably won't vote (like myself) will be counted out so it will be the passionate 'for' minority against the passionate 'against' minority.

My prediction is that bc of the non-compulsory driven low vote turnout (say they receive 5 million votes out of 15 million votes eligible from 2016 election) that the LNP will say that bc of the low turnout that is a small sample size and that they will vote no even though it may return a yes in majority.

What concerns me also is that the 7 merkins who voted yes last night were apparently threatened to have their pre-selections contested if they don't tow the party line. So lots of argy-bargy going on.

Kornstar

Coach
I know it is a great waste of money (but the government does that all the time anyways without such whinging) but if 63% of the people want gay marriage and they vote yes, why is anyone concerned?

Gronk's concern about the small sample size and saying no anyways will just guarantee a loss at the next election by the Libs anyways and then Labor will just make it legal straight away.

Simples..........

Incorrect

Coach
I expect a speech from Turnbull later this year that will resemble the one Kodos made when he was disguised as Bob Dole in that Simpson's Halloween Special...

Turnbull - "Marriage Equality for all who love Bum-Sex and sex using Strap ons"
Crowd - "Boooooo! Boooo!"
Turnbull - "Very Well. No Marriage equality for anyone"
Crowd - "Boooooo! Boooooo!"
Turnbull - "Hmmmm..... marriage equality for queers.... southern cross calf tattoo's and "f**k Off We're Full" bumper stickers for the others"
Crowd - "Yayyy!"

phantom eel

First Grade
I think if read in context Pou meant the more recent change from near world wide illegality to near world wide acceptance.

Only part quoting to make a point isn't cool.
Looks like you jumped in and got it wrong, based on Pou's subsequent reply...
The power of the church comes from the people you dope. Or do you think it comes from God?
The power of the church comes from having powerful friends in politics, who passed/continue laws giving them favourable treatment.

More fool us, because - just like making gay marriage happen - the majority don't have the people power to change these rules that give churches power. But to argue that "the people" gave churches the disproportionate power they have today (e.g. free land allocations from colonial days, and the wealth and influence that springs from that) is rather blinkered imo.

phantom eel

First Grade
The Gronk starts to learn to change his opinion so he doesn't look like a parrot.

Good first step. Gronky.

Pity you didn't post about it before I brought it up. If you had, people might have thought that it was your original opinion rather than one fabricated to counter the truth of your parroting.
What about if people have stopped listening to what you say/write, because... they've already decided you are a mere right -wing parrot?

Bandwagon

Staff member
Let's not forget that the Labor Party don't even get a conscience vote. They all have to vote yes.

So why are they complaining because the Liberals don't get a conscience vote?

Oh, that's right - typical SJW, leftoid idiotness...they're not getting to force their opinion onto everyone so they cry bigotry.

Why am I not shocked? And why am I not shocked that Gronk posted about it...?

Um, except that current Labor policy is a conscience vote, with a binding vote in the future.

So at this point in time I'd say perhaps you should do a little more research on the matter before parroting something you heard on the interwebz.