What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Nicholls

Quality signing. Watched him closely in the ISP semis and he looked the goods.

Hutch was just way too slow and after his knee injury will be even slower. We have enough slow backs in our side without adding Hutch.

Nichols will get plenty of time in FG when Hunt is on rep duty. And given Hunt has succeeded so well at hooker, I'll go out on a limb and say this gives us another option at half should we go that way.

For what its worth, I'm a fan of McInnes but we need to see more from him. Hunt was a revelation at hooker for the Broncos and rightly got picked for Australia. We'd be crazy not at least have that option up our sleeve if Nichols can do the job at half.
I agree regarding McInnes but it`s obvious he is under instructions to tackle and direct play form dummy half - that`s all.
When you consider he topped the tackle count for the whole comp with over 1100 tackles for the season, I am not sure what more he can contribute unless the coach re thinks his job description.

giboz71

First Grade
Lol @ Hunt to hooker or Widdop to centre.

So, given that’s where he’s currently playing for Australia, not too far fetched we’d use him there as well. Bennett had him there at the Broncos, he’s no mug is he?

Not likely I know, but I’m not willing to discount any options given how shit we’ve been for the last 5 years.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So we have our best signing in decades, someone who we've been crying our for to direct our team, a genuine half, and now based on a few games you want to move him to hooker. Its almost so laughable you could cry.
We have a hooker his name is McInnes, we have an up-and-coming hooker named Robson.
We didnt sign Hunt for 5 years or more to play hooker.

giboz71

First Grade
FMD, it’s funny how people lose their shit when trying to think outside the box. We’ve been slamming Mary for years for not trying something new, yet here we are not willing to give other options a go.

I know we signed Hunt to play half. He will play half. But the fact he can play hooker too is also to our advantage.

How about spelling McInnes for 15 mins a game so McInnes didn’t play busted towards the end of the year as he was so worn out?? Or if we need a spark from dummy half late in the game, Hunt gives us that option.

Hunt being able to play hooker is not a bad thing and something we should take advantage of instead of just dismissing altogether.

I'll go against the grain. I can't see the point of this. He's a 29 year old who has never played NRL and I suggest if he plays NRL with us we"re in big trouble.

I also don't understand not re-signing Hutchinson.
Simple Drews knee is alot worse then they first thought he came back to early and hurt it again thats what I was told.

He also got offered a heavily based incentive deal which he didn't like and they then pulled it off the table when he took to long to decide way before he got hurt again.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Simple Drews knee is alot worse then they first thought he came back to early and hurt it again thats what I was told.

He also got offered a heavily based incentive deal which he didn't like and they then pulled it off the table when he took to long to decide way before he got hurt again.

Yeap his knee is a problem.
I hope he make it back and has a good career

Life's Good

Coach
FMD, it’s funny how people lose their shit when trying to think outside the box. We’ve been slamming Mary for years for not trying something new, yet here we are not willing to give other options a go.

I know we signed Hunt to play half. He will play half. But the fact he can play hooker too is also to our advantage.

How about spelling McInnes for 15 mins a game so McInnes didn’t play busted towards the end of the year as he was so worn out?? Or if we need a spark from dummy half late in the game, Hunt gives us that option.

Hunt being able to play hooker is not a bad thing and something we should take advantage of instead of just dismissing altogether.

We have been crying out for a 7 for years, someone who can straighten the attack, run the show etc. and we have that with Hunt. Why strengthen the so called dummy half ‘weakness’(I think McInnes is fine)by creating a weakness in the position we have been desparate to fill?
SuperCoach did try something new, a 3 man bench rotation that didn’t work too well.

watatank

Coach

You dont move hunt to hooker to give mcinnes a rest or whatever else. You find someone else to do that job. You only really consider moving him to 9 if we lose mcinnes long term.

giboz71

First Grade
You dont move hunt to hooker to give mcinnes a rest or whatever else. You find someone else to do that job. You only really consider moving him to 9 if we lose mcinnes long term.

Yep and thats a sound strategy if that happens.

But its comforting to know that Hunt gives us that option as well should that occur, because he's skilled enough at hooker to deputise for Cam Smith in the Test team.

Which is pretty much the point I'm trying to make.

slippery5

Juniors
I'll go against the grain. I can't see the point of this. He's a 29 year old who has never played NRL and I suggest if he plays NRL with us we"re in big trouble.

I also don't understand not re-signing Hutchinson.
OMG we just signed a 29yr old rookie. That will do me. As a matter of fact I'm going to send Doust my highlights from a recent MASTERS game playing inside Scott Hill.

watatank

Coach
Yep and thats a sound strategy if that happens.

But its comforting to know that Hunt gives us that option as well should that occur, because he's skilled enough at hooker to deputise for Cam Smith in the Test team.

Which is pretty much the point I'm trying to make.

But it shouldnt be an option. It only might be because we have no real cover for mcinnes. That's what we would have to address.

If we signed cronk would we consider him to play hooker? He could probably do it just as well as hunt maybe better. I dont think we would nor that we should. We basically see him as our cronk so why should he be moving elsewhere

Here`s a question
If Bennett had not successfully used Hunt in the hooking role (thinking outside the square) do you think Mary would have made such a move of his own accord?

giboz71

First Grade
But it shouldnt be an option. It only might be because we have no real cover for mcinnes. That's what we would have to address.

If we signed cronk would we consider him to play hooker? He could probably do it just as well as hunt maybe better. I dont think we would nor that we should. We basically see him as our cronk so why should he be moving elsewhere

Correct.

Havili is gone from all accounts and Robson is a year or 2 away. Hence, I like the signing of Nichols. If we lose McInnes, I like the notion of having a Kangaroo hooker step in and Nichols may surprise at 7 if given a go. Heck we still have Field as well who may command the 17 jersey where he could step into the halves during the game with Hunt filling in at hooker. If we're chasing points (which we invariably are these days), that's not a bad formation with tiring defences.

Its all about options. During the ebb and flow of a 26 round season with injuries, rep duties, form etc, I say the more options we have the better.

giboz71

First Grade
Here`s a question
If Bennett had not successfully used Hunt in the hooking role (thinking outside the square) do you think Mary would have made such a move of his own accord?

Thats irrelevant.

Point is Hunt can play the position so why not take advantage of his versatility?? Andrew Johns is an Immortal as a halfback but played many games for NSW/Australia as a 9 simply because he could and he did what was best for the team.

I don't understand the thinking not to consider him at hooker if need be, considering his abilities in the position and the fact he's made the World Cup playing hooker.

Thats irrelevant.

Point is Hunt can play the position so why not take advantage of his versatility?? Andrew Johns is an Immortal as a halfback but played many games for NSW/Australia as a 9 simply because he could and he did what was best for the team.

I don't understand the thinking not to consider him at hooker if need be, considering his abilities in the position and the fact he's made the World Cup playing hooker.
No one is questioning the Hunt`s versatility and ability to play dummy half as well.
My point being that if Bennett would not have had the idea and used him at 9. your post would not exist.

giboz71

First Grade
No one is questioning the Hunt`s versatility and ability to play dummy half as well.
My point being that if Bennett would not have had the idea and used him at 9. your post would not exist.

So the fact that he’s the deputy for Cam Smith at hooker for Australia is irrelevant?

Latest posts