What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Taumalolo opts to play for Tonga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
OK since you're a f*ckin AMATEUR I'll cast my superior RL analytical eyes over the squads. 10 players in the Tongan squad have played for NZ you f*ckin dumbass. They're NZ B. A total of 13 were born in NZ. They're mostly our depth players who can't make the NZ side. 4 of them were born in Tonga (2 of which have played for NZ). 7 were born in Aus. You actually think that's "plenty" compared to the 13 we put up? Compare the size of your country to the size of ours you f**kin mong. 16 of the Samoan squad were born in NZ (1 of which is Papaali who was poached by Aus purely due to Origin). 2 were born in Samoa, and 6 born in Aus (2 of these have played for NZ - Pritchard & Roberts).

Aus have hundreds of players to choose from. We have like maybe 60-70. 24 will play for NZ. 5-6 will be out injured. 25-30 will play for the Islands. And then there will be maybe 4-5 Maoris who can't make the NZ side like Benji, Luke & Bodene Thompson. We are forced to give up the little depth we have. Due to Origin, Australia have kept mostly all their depth players, except for in WC years until the recent change. So basically all our resources are exhausted for international RL, every year. Australia doesn't have their best backup players like DCE turning out for random countries. We have basically all of our best backup players turning out for other countries, and playing against us. And now we have first liners becoming traitors. Our depth is stretched to the limit for the betterment of the international game. Aus can't say the same.

You mean like Tedesco, Fafita and Hayne who all played origin this year?

Please, stop crying poor over lack of players

Caped Crusader

Juniors
After participating in this thread it's plain to see that Australian fans want NZ weakend to the point to where Aus is the only team that can win the tournament. English fans want NZ weakened to the point to where they think they can actually beat us, and they only have to worry about Aus.

Too bad for you that even after all the trials and tribulations we've had to overcome, NZ is still a threat.
LOL take your tinfoil hat off

Noone wants a weak Intl game. However, you can't whinge when players play for other nations when your silly selectors overlook them or they choose to play for heritage countries. If we had it your way, the island nations would be so weak as to void any viability of an Intl game outside of the "big 3"

BTW, did you ever stop to think that maybe NZ has a larger community of pac islanders than anywhere outside of the pac islands? Perhaps that is why so many are NZ born..

TheDMC

Bench
BTW, did you ever stop to think that maybe NZ has a larger community of pac islanders than anywhere outside of the pac islands? Perhaps that is why so many are NZ born..

Actually NZ has a larger population of pacific islanders than most pacific islands have of their own people!
In 2006 New Zealand’s population included:
  • almost 57,000 Cook Islanders, compared with almost 13,000 in the Cook Islands
  • almost 22,500 Niueans (with more than 1,200 in Niue)
  • almost 7,000 Tokelauans (with almost 800 in Tokelau)
  • more than 131,000 Samoans (with almost 176,000 in Samoa)
  • more than 50,000 Tongans (with almost 99,000 in Tonga).
And over 300k fijians in NZ, while just over 800k is the population of fiji

roughyedspud

Coach
Origin doesn't count at all....in relation to RLIF law playing for the Wiggles holds as much water as playing NSW or QLD

For the record, I do want the islands involved in international RL. But if the clowns in this thread still want to push the "pick 1 nation for career" agenda, and the "NZ HAS BEEN RAIDING ISLAND TALENT FOR GENERATIONS" crap, then we deserve to keep our depth players and have them only be available for NZ.

But anyway, bigger issues are now at hand people. As a great orator once said, we let them on the scene to back up the first team. And this is how their fans repay us?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...e-fans-appear-to-clash-in-video-shared-online

Calls for calm as tensions rise among Tongan and Samoan rugby league fans

Samoan and Tongan rugby league fans have been caught on camera in a mass brawl that blocked a South Auckland street.

Simmering tension between the rival fans has led to Samoan boxing legend David Tua making a public plea for peace ahead of the two countries squaring off in the Rugby League World Cup in Hamilton this Sunday.

Video footage has emerged on social media showing groups of young Tongan and Samoan supporters arguing and fighting in the street on the corner of Great South Rd and Avenue Rd, Otahuhu.

The footage comes after a photo was posted and widely circulated on Facebook showing a young man burning a Samoan flag.

Members of both communities have been quick to call for calm - particularly among young people - saying the actions of one person should not ruin the relationship between Pacific nations and friends.

Danny "Brotha D'' Leaosavai'i, of record label Dawn Raid Entertainment, told his followers:
"Don't let the action of a minion corrupt the harmony of millions. Alofa still means ofa [love].''

Former heavyweight boxer Tua also spoke on Auckland-based Radio Samoa 1593 this morning, urging young people to disregard hateful comments being said on social media and promote peace between the two groups.

"We are all family,'' he said.

Meanwhile, the father of the young man involved in burning the flag has publicly apologised.

"My family are of Samoan/ Tongan descent. Please find it in your hearts to forgive my son for his stupidity.''

A woman who works in the area where the brawl took place said the celebrations had been mainly positive for the past few days.

However, the constant horns beeping and increasingly dangerous behaviour had reached a limit.

"They've been people standing on the top of their cars and people running across the street when the lights are green.

"They're just laying on the horns. It's just got a bit stupid and kind of dangerous.''

She said businesses had had to deal with loud music and horns beeping loudly for the past two days, in particular.

There had been some police in the area and at least one road was blocked off by police yesterday afternoon.

"The music was so loud I couldn't hear my customers - we had to close the doors,'' she said.

"It's absolutely insane.''

The woman, who is of Pacific descent, did not see any fights between groups, but said the arguments were silly.

"We're all Pacific Islanders. We should be supporting each other.''

Police had confirmed they have received calls regarding "celebrations'' in parts of Auckland, particularly in Otahuhu, where vehicles decked out in national flags have been lining the streets and beeping horns continuously.

Groups of supporters have also turned out in force on a daily basis.

Following Mate Ma'a Tonga's thrilling win against Scotland on Sunday, legions of fans and supporters turned out to the streets of Otahuhu to celebrate.

Former Warriors star and Tongan wing Manu Vatuvei took to social media today to ask fans to keep their cool amid all of the excitement surrounding the tournament.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11939262

It's the Tongan Bloods Vs the Samoan Crips on the streets of South Auckland right now. Hopefully there's no mass gang war at the game.

Just wanna say that invariably I support the Pacific Island nations, want them to do well and it's kinda of a "mate against mate" thing when we play them, but this is very different.

I really f**king HATE this Tongan team. I want us to smash them, I think they are for the most part a pack of treacherous plastic-Tongan pricks and it disgusts me how much support they are getting.

It's good for the comp tbh and good for me as a fan. I'm right into it.

Me too bro. Don't worry, we're going to f*ckin obliterate those second-stringers and humiliate their fans into hiding. I can't wait to see Lolohea get smashed especially. LOL @ anyone thinking they can actually beat us with that piss-weak spine. And yeah, all the boasting from the B teams fans has me right into this.

Matua

Bench
and it's idiotic to suggest that just because a bloke has a Maori tatt it means he must play for the kiwis!
Where did I suggest that? I was suggesting it was idiotic to compare a guy who has Ta Moko for cultural reasons with a guy who has tattoos (for I presume not cultural reasons). You've just gone off on a tangent.

What I actually find funny from this thread is how NZ is accused of being some big bad of stealing players from the Islands (in the current Samoan team there are more players born in Christchurch, than in Samoa), but when we highlight ways that we could possibly lose players the Brits attack us for it.

Pommy

Coach
For the record, I do want the islands involved in international RL. But if the clowns in this thread still want to push the "pick 1 nation for career" agenda, and the "NZ HAS BEEN RAIDING ISLAND TALENT FOR GENERATIONS" crap, then we deserve to keep our depth players and have them only be available for NZ.

And your depth players are anyone with Maori blood irrespective of where they were born or raised?

Basil

Juniors
Where did I suggest that? I was suggesting it was idiotic to compare a guy who has Ta Moko for cultural reasons with a guy who has tattoos (for I presume not cultural reasons). You've just gone off on a tangent.

What I actually find funny from this thread is how NZ is accused of being some big bad of stealing players from the Islands (in the current Samoan team there are more players born in Christchurch, than in Samoa), but when we highlight ways that we could possibly lose players the Brits attack us for it.
Who?

Basil, you're a f*ckin herb.

ned flanders

Basil

Juniors
Me too bro. Don't worry, we're going to f*ckin obliterate those second-stringers and humiliate their fans into hiding. I can't wait to see Lolohea get smashed especially. LOL @ anyone thinking they can actually beat us with that piss-weak spine. And yeah, all the boasting from the B teams fans has me right into this.

we're? -I don't remember seeing you out there? but if you were out there you'd be the one sh!tting themselves LOL !!

KokoRugbyLeague

Juniors
I just want the poms to give the kiwis the sheep treatment. Dammit the kiwis are a great enemy foe in the pacific they are the dastardly poms in our region.

Always kicking our ass but just one day hopeful of a blue blitz against that kiwi. Our rivalry with nz is deep heated only its been one sided.

The colonial days under nz were the worst they are our nsw. My Toa have to find qld mongrel in them and fight back against the old enemy Tonga and the braveheart scots.

Dammit Toa Samoa players please die for that blue jumper like men possessed not like the second half disgrace where you fed our hearts to those kiwis. Tonga is next nothing less than a win acceptable or else be branded as forever the team that killed the peoples blue jumper. The blue blitz.

Kiwis and NZ as a whole always punch above their weight. We are only what 4.5 to 6 million in population. It amazes me how we still get over the line with all the obstacles we face with Origin and the eligibility rules making sure we are not at our strongest.

I'm so proud of being a Kiwi we just push ourselves to the limit.

Basil

Juniors
Kiwis and NZ as a whole always punch above their weight. We are only what 4.5 to 6 million in population. It amazes me how we still get over the line with all the obstacles we face with Origin and the eligibility rules making sure we are not at our strongest.

I'm so proud of being a Kiwi we just push ourselves to the limit.

any obstacles NZ face are overstated in the extreme. Having so many eligible players in the nrl has been a real boom for NZ, and the number of players genuinely lost to origin number only a couple or so. Now compare this to the situation in union that the PI nations face, where NZ systematically poaches their best players for the ABs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts