What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

deluded pom?

Coach
Australia need to address there crowds for sure. I'll say it again but league has always had a poor live game atmosphere. Tonga vs Samoa just proved it's a much better tv product when you actually have a full house and people enjoying themselves. It's the one thing soccer dominates the world in live game atmosphere.
The atmosphere in Hamilton was fantastic. The fans were there to enjoy themselves and that's just what they did. The Tongans outnumbered the Samoans about two to one IMO and really lifted their team with their enthusiasm and their support. I've only managed to get a couple of games in but I'm glad I got to see and experience two great occasions.

beave

Coach
It will be about 9-10k I’d say. When it rains at the SFS, everyone sits up high on the lower tier and you can barely see them on the coverage.

Raiderdave

First Grade
It's so unwell the European Sports Commission pays the RLEF to continue growing the game in Europe,because of past results.It's so sick RLWC make millions each time.
Working on your theory, when the NRL gets a 5,000-9,000 crowd its rooted.
Sick.I just watched a really SICK match.Tonga v Samoa. in a p[aclked Hamilton NZ.RL has overtaken union in Tonga already.
The bleeding event is only into it's early 2nd round.Fair crack you"d boo Santa Claus.WE're going to get ordinary crowds and decent crowds.That's life .
Rugby league has a long way to go Internationally,and like any sport has its up and downs on the way.Until such time as we get more local countrymen playing for their countries, we will continue with the cynics.

my theory
the nrl is played once every 9 years is it ?

this is supposed to be an event
the national side playing to a half empty stadium in the capital which is also in the heartland
suggests its not

yakstorm

First Grade
There are a fair more here than what it looks like on TV. As others have mentioned, plenty of people sitting towards the back of the Bays under cover which aren't really visible on the broadcast.

As for members, reckon there is a couple of thousand here, possibly as many up there as there is in the tier below on that side.

Won't be surprised if they name under 10K here... The organisers are clearly naming real crowds this tournament.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Honestly this game should have been at the likes of Penrith if it was going to be in Sydney at all. Does nothing for the game seeing such sparse crowds live on the bbc nationally!

Could they have been more ambitious and put Samoa v Tonga at Eden Park?

Emu01

Juniors
I’m at the game and members side isn’t as full as eastern/ tv. The rain has definitely slashed 5k off the crowd.

Last edited: