What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Every NRL club’s best 17 for 2018: The off-season transfers shaking up the competition

DRAGONS

1. Matt Dufty

2. Jason Nightingale

3. Euan Aitken

4. Tim Lafai

5. Nene Macdonald

6. Gareth Widdop

7. Ben Hunt

8. Paul Vaughan

9. Cameron McInnes

10. James Graham

11. Tyson Frizell

12. Tariq Sims

13. Jack De Belin

14. Kurt Mann

15. Leeson Ah Mau

16. Jeremy Latimore

17. Luciano Leilua

Analysis: Matt Dufty made a promising start to his NRL career in 2017 and that will give him the inside running on the No.1 jersey. If he can continue to make strides and Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop strike up a good combination, the ceiling will be high for a Dragons side that will benefit from the experience and leadership of James Graham.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/a91431272249f3a5bac3aa52f6f4c8c4

Gareth67

First Grade
Wondering if anyone has same issue? - Cant get videos to play on new dragons website

Yes emu62 , same here ! I do not own a computer but a iPad Air 2 - iOS 10.3 .
I don't know if the previous update changed things , but I know that I was once able to view them , but no longer can - all year .
I just look at the pictures now and try to work out what they all mean .

getsmarty

Immortal
Latimore not shying away from experience
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 30 Dec 2017, 01:00 PM

By Rachel Cain

St George Illawarra prop Jeremy Latimore has returned to the Dragons following a six-year absence to add another element of experience to the club ahead of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Having played over 100 first grade games, Latimore is set to play a significant role in mentoring the younger players coming through.

"Mary explained to me there are a lot of young guys coming through so he wants me to play a role in helping them come through," Latimore said.

"Similarly, the capability of Ben Hunt and James Graham will have a considerable impact the strength and performance of the team.

"I think with James Graham and Ben Hunt coming here that's going to make the team pretty formidable.

"I think Ben especially coming in will really help Gareth and the young fullback Matt Dufty the spine is going to be really important to us."

However, due to the 2017 Rugby League World Cup both Graham and Hunt won't begin pre-season until early January making it crucial for the team to work hard throughout pre-season.

"It's hard with a lot of the players out in the World Cup, so it's going to inhibit Ben a little bit with building his dynamic with Gareth. But I think that once he gets back into it, he’ll fit straight in here," Latimore said.

"I know they [the Dragons] missed the top eight by one or two points and over the first part of the year they were awesome, so with Ben Hunt and James Graham coming in I definitely think that the only way is up."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/30/latimore-not-shying-away-from-experience/

getsmarty

Immortal
December 30 2017 - 1:00PM
St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor hails his best ever squad ahead of 2018 campaign
r0_193_4134_2517_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Expectations: St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is ready for the pressure that comes with expectation. Picture: John Veage

Paul McGregor has assembled what he describes as the best squad he has ever coached. And he is ready for the pressure and expectation that comes with it.

In fact, he is ready to revel in it.

McGregor is preparing to enter his fourth full season as an NRL head coach with St George Illawarra looking to return to the finals after a disastrous second half of last season saw them miss the finals in 2017, becoming just the third team since the top-eight system was introduced to miss the finals after leading at the end of round seven.

While they have lost Josh Dugan, Joel Thompson and Russell Packer to Cronulla, Manly and the Wests Tigers respectively, the signings of Ben Hunt from Brisbane and James Graham from Canterbury has McGregor believing this Dragons team is the best squad he has assembled.

“What I feel is that it’s the best squad I’ve coached. And that’s no disrespect to anyone in the last three years. But we’ve waited a long time and been very patient in our recruitment. Ben Hunt we felt was the best halfback on the market, we went and bought the best halfback. James Graham was the best front-rower on the market,” McGregor told the Leader.

With that comes pressure and expectation from one of the NRL’s most demanding fan bases, something McGregor is comfortable with.

“I’m happy with that [pressure and expectation]. Every coach wants to play finals footy. That doesn’t change with me. Having these players just gives me more excitement around it. And gives the guys a lot more confidence,” he said.

McGregor believes he has evolved greatly as a coach since taking the reigns from Steve Price in 2014. Just shy of his 50th birthday, McGregor wants to continue his journey – starting with the Dragons’ season opener against Brisbane at Kogarah on March 8.

“They always say it takes three to five years to become a head coach in the NRL. And I just feel I’m in a really good space,” he said.

“Obviously in ‘15 we led the comp until round 12. So that was my first [full] year. That came pretty quick to us. And then again we were inconsistent, we didn’t hold that position throughout the year although we played finals footy.

“I’d be the first to put my hand up and take ownership of a poor ‘16. And I went back to what we did in ‘15, the x’s and o’s instead of managing salary caps and a whole list of things. I went back to what I do best which is work with the coaches and come up with the right strategy and go out and coach.

“And I felt 2017 was a really good step forward on our journey. Going into my fourth year I’ve learnt a lot from the three years prior. I’ve got a thirst for learning, that’s just me as a person.

“I want to be better. I’m not happy where I am, I want to continue to improve.”

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/5134103/this-is-the-best-squad-ive-ever-coached-mcgregor/?cs=1633

Drag Queen

Bench
St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor hails his best ever squad ahead of 2018 campaign

Expectations: St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is ready for the pressure that comes with expectation. Picture: John Veage

Paul McGregor has assembled what he describes as the best squad he has ever coached. And he is ready for the pressure and expectation that comes with it.

McGregor is preparing to enter his fourth full season as an NRL head coach with St George Illawarra looking to return to the finals after a disastrous second half of last season saw them miss the finals in 2017, becoming just the third team since the top-eight system was introduced to miss the finals after leading at the end of round seven.

While they have lost Josh Dugan, Joel Thompson and Russell Packer to Cronulla, Manly and the Wests Tigers respectively, the signings of Ben Hunt from Brisbane and James Graham from Canterbury has McGregor believing this Dragons team is the best squad he has assembled.

“What I feel is that it’s the best squad I’ve coached. And that’s no disrespect to anyone in the last three years. But we’ve waited a long time and been very patient in our recruitment. Ben Hunt we felt was the best halfback on the market, we went and bought the best halfback. James Graham was the best front-rower on the market,” McGregor told the Leader.

With that comes pressure and expectation from one of the NRL’s most demanding fan bases, something McGregor is comfortable with.

“I’m happy with that [pressure and expectation]. Every coach wants to play finals footy. That doesn’t change with me. Having these players just gives me more excitement around it. And gives the guys a lot more confidence,” he said.

McGregor believes he has evolved greatly as a coach since taking the reigns from Steve Price in 2014. Just shy of his 50th birthday, McGregor wants to continue his journey – starting with the Dragons’ season opener against Brisbane at Kogarah on March 8.

“They always say it takes three to five years to become a head coach in the NRL. And I just feel I’m in a really good space,” he said.

“Obviously in ‘15 we led the comp until round 12. So that was my first [full] year. That came pretty quick to us. And then again we were inconsistent, we didn’t hold that position throughout the year although we played finals footy.

“I’d be the first to put my hand up and take ownership of a poor ‘16. And I went back to what we did in ‘15, the x’s and o’s instead of managing salary caps and a whole list of things. I went back to what I do best which is work with the coaches and come up with the right strategy and go out and coach.

“And I felt 2017 was a really good step forward on our journey. Going into my fourth year I’ve learnt a lot from the three years prior. I’ve got a thirst for learning, that’s just me as a person.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/5134103/this-is-the-best-squad-ive-ever-coached-mcgregor/?cs=1633
Best team he's ever coached? I'll slash my ankles and die a slow death now. Is he for real?

Not again...
Self promoting rationalization of failure.
Not to mention moronic contradictions such as
“They always say it takes three to five years to become a head coach in the NRL. And I just feel I’m in a really good space,”
THEN this...
I want to be better. I’m not happy where I am, I want to continue to improve.”
Leading the comp at the half way mark does not win premierships!
He explains that he's "got a thirst for learning" - honestly!
This is NRL FG not a school for apprentice coaches.
Who cares about McGregor's "journey" and what he's learnt over the last 3 years.
Whoever supported this coaching appointment has compromised the club and has subjected the fans to a sub standard coaching regime.

Crush

Coach
Inspirational stuff Paul McGregor. We are all 100% behind you! And don't be afraid to take another couple of years to find your feet mate, don't feel rushed, after all its all about you Paul becoming the coach you feel you can be. Its all about you.........

Old Timer

Coach
Having just read the article and having Mc Fookknuckle at the helm it is obvious the signing of Graham and Hunt could be rendered irrelevant very quickly.

Also nice to see in the other article that Latimore is taking over the crucial Mc Crone mantle of the "100 game veteran" and he is now charged with responsibility of bringing the young players through.
That instills no end of confidence in me.
PS: Mr Latimore you are sadly mistaken if you think the only way from here for our team is up.

Can anyone interpret this gooblygock quote?

If his game plan is anything like his speech making / interviewing ability we are in serious trouble.