What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach (Part Deux)

Gronk

Staff member
Don’t you mean ARL??

The NRL didn’t exist till 98, and it was only ever a grant the clubs could do as they please with it. They could of blown it on Coke and Hookers if they wanted(Bern I’m looking at you)

It’s only till recently that clubs have had to spend 90% of the cap so there was nothing to stop Fitzy back then to spend as little as he pleased.

Well clubs have been receiving 100% of the cap since the Super League f**k up in 1994. So what year are we talking about with this prop / sterlo / fitzy story ?

Fitzy was at the helm until 2008, when ousted by Spags.

And not a mate of Fitzy’s???? You defend the bloke every chance you get
I think you are confusing support for Fitzy with club loyalty. I was more than happy to see him go, but Spags did not pass the pub test and I objected to the "anyone would be better than what we have now" mantra.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well clubs have been receiving 100% of the cap since the Super League f**k up in 1994. So what year are we talking about with this prop / sterlo / fitzy story ?
Source???? You have just done the same thing you accused me of, and as I said it was just a grant to spend on whatever the club liked.

And I have no idea what prop story you are talking about but if you think we spent the entire cap from 89-95 I have a bridge to sell you.

Gronk

Staff member
Source???? You have just done the same thing you accused me of, and as I said it was just a grant to spend on whatever the club liked.

And I have no idea what prop story you are talking about but if you think we spent the entire cap from 89-95 I have a bridge to sell you.

I have no idea like you.
thumbsup.gif

Gazzamatta

Coach
I really feel for BA. He dosent appear an arrogant man.
He seems devoted to the cause in every shape and form. He knows the buck stops with him.
Recruitment, team selections, player condition, tactics, game plan, mental support, junior development etc, etc. Additionally he is a Parra man through and through and no doubt, like we supporters, a huge fan of our club. Given recent results he must be mentally and physically exhausted. Ive no doubt he would be seeking every possible solution to our current form.
Talk of sacking BA is just disappointment from long suffering supporters. I get it and Im sure he does as well. We are all dissapointed. BA needs support like never before. He is a proud man. Im confident if he cant improve results he will seek the appropriate support. Im also sure he will be questioning himself and will take the appropriate action should he believes success wont return.
Ive always thought BA would make a pretty good Football Manager when the time is right. Our club needs people like BA.

Cloeel

Juniors
He seems devoted to the cause in every shape and form. He knows the buck stops with him.
Recruitment, team selections, player condition, tactics, game plan, mental support, junior development etc, etc. Additionally he is a Parra man through and through and no doubt, like we supporters, a huge fan of our club. Given recent results he must be mentally and physically exhausted. Ive no doubt he would be seeking every possible solution to our current form.
Talk of sacking BA is just disappointment from long suffering supporters. I get it and Im sure he does as well. We are all dissapointed. BA needs support like never before. He is a proud man. Im confident if he cant improve results he will seek the appropriate support. Im also sure he will be questioning himself and will take the appropriate action should he believes success wont return.
Ive always thought BA would make a pretty good Football Manager when the time is right. Our club needs people like BA.

Mate could not have put it better myself.

BA at the moment reminds me of Damien Hardwick the Richmond tigers afl team couch. They had a terrible season in 2016 and he was questioning everything but with the club showing some faith he used all the negative from a year to forget to pull the playing group together and take our the 2017 title.
With all this adversity from the past couple years I’m confident BA can get our team together and I feel he deserves every opportunity to do so.
I’ve seen enough from BA in his time at Parra to have faith in the fact he can turn things around.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Agree with this 100%, he is Parra and one of us. No one on here wants him and the team to fail but he clearly needs help because at the moment what he is doing is not working.

Gronk

Staff member
Agree with this 100%, he is Parra and one of us. No one on here wants him and the team to fail but he clearly needs help because at the moment what he is doing is not working.

I agree that we are in a hole, but he is not the first coach to have to dig himself out of a bad start. Paul Green is only slightly in a better position to us on the table but with his pack and GOAT, maybe deserves greater criticism.

Yes we are 0-5, but after a top 4 finish last season, I can't believe that some here have turned on him like an angry mob. Except for @Avenger who is behaving next level, like BA rogered his Missus.

upload_2018-4-9_11-22-13.jpeg

Bazal

Post Whore

I think people forget how big a hole we were in, tbh. You do not come back from where we were overnight (unless you're Melbourne and are the darlings of the NRL...)

Fact is we were deadset rock bottom. BA has acknowledged, through the players he has tried to get on board, what he feels we need. You cannot, however, just speak to someone and automatically sign them. ESPECIALLY when you have a reputation as being about one step away from reverting to a total basket case. Over the past couple of seasons he has...

-Spoken to several hookers, namely Peats (too expensive), Rein (asking way too much for what he offers) Damien Cook *allegedly* (under contract).
-Tried to get props such as Paul Vaughan (who was actually on board before the Dragons almost doubled our offer at the eleventh hour), Dylan Napa (Roosters decided to hold on), David Klemmer (Dogs moved on different players), Jordan McLean (never wanted to come to Sydney)...there is plenty of talk that we are pushing for Paulo or Boyd who are *allegedly* on the outer in Canberra.
-Successfully recruited a gun half when we were desperate for one
-Successfully recruited quality backs in the likes of Jennings and Gutherson when we were desperate for backs.

His strike rate isn't that bad and he knows what we need. We just can't compete with some of the clubs out there in terms of reputation, stability, and money. It's a simple fact and it's not something that is repaired in a season regardless of what some fans wish.

Bazal

Post Whore
What Cleary has done in 8 months Proves it can be done much quicker.

Does it? Firstly, five rounds proves nothing, they are winning ugly with a F/A of just +13 and could still easily miss the 8 from here.

When did the Tigers cheat the cap?

Also when did the NRL step in to manage their board squabbling and mismanagement? Pretty sure that was longer than 8 months ago....

EDIT 2014 they stepped in. So it's not 8 months, it's three or four years. Cleary has come in and done a good job, but they were at their nadir in 2014, not 2017, so it's untrue to suggest it has changed over the off season.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
What Cleary has done in 8 months Proves it can be done much quicker.

Cleary took over a squad that finished only 1 point out of the 8 the year before. BA took over a squad that finished last the 2 previous years!!

No wonder Cleary has achieved ok results in a shorter timeframe!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Cleary took over a squad that finished only 1 point out of the 8 the year before. BA took over a squad that finished last the 2 previous years!!

No wonder Cleary has achieved ok results in a shorter timeframe!!
LOL!!

Rubbish, they had just lost their 3 most high profile players plus Farah so that’s pure rubbish to say he was the same squad that almost made the 8.

Down play Cleary’s effort all you like but he has shown it doesn’t take as long as everyone is claiming.

Plus that Eels squad BA took over was far superior to the ones Stuart and Kearney had.

King hit

Coach
Are any of you guys going to call for Arthur's head if the results don't improve. Parramatta have been a major disappointment and I believe Arthur has to share some of the blame. With the roster you blokes have you would be expecting Parra to win games. Losing their first 5 is unacceptable.

Bazal

Post Whore
LOL!!

Rubbish, they had just lost their 3 most high profile players plus Farah so that’s pure rubbish to say he was the same squad that almost made the 8.

Down play Cleary’s effort all you like but he has shown it doesn’t take as long as everyone is claiming.

Plus that Eels squad BA took over was far superior to the ones Stuart and Kearney had.

Just going to ignore the fact that the Tigers have actually been recovering since 2014?

You're better than that mate...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
LOL!!

That just means he had heaps of cap space to make a lot of changes at once. Anyway, Cleary has done nothing at the Tigers just yet, while at the Panthers he did no better than Brad Arthur.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Are any of you guys going to call for Arthur's head if the results don't improve. Parramatta have been a major disappointment and I believe Arthur has to share some of the blame. With the roster you blokes have you would be expecting Parra to win games. Losing their first 5 is unacceptable.
Arthur was the coach last year when we won 16 games. It's a bit poor to throw him under the bus after only five.

Gronk

Staff member

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Just going to ignore the fact that the Tigers have actually been recovering since 2014?

You're better than that mate...
So they weren’t a rabble last year and favourite for this years spoon???

They didn’t lose their best 3 players last season in acrimonious circumstances???

Yes the NRL appointed Board were brought in in 2014 and have been roundly criticised for not having a clue. The way they treated both Potter and then Taylor was testament to that but they did pull the right rein in Cleary.

And you know me mate I really am not better than that.

Bazal

Post Whore
So they weren’t a rabble last year and favourite for this years spoon???

They didn’t lose their best 3 players last season in acrimonious circumstances???

Yes the NRL appointed Board were brought in in 2014 and have been roundly criticised for not having a clue. The way they treated both Potter and then Taylor was testament to that but they did pull the right rein in Cleary.

And you know me mate I really am not better than that.

All of that happened, but it was just a part of a process that started years earlier.

The point is that it hasn't been 8 months. They have righted the ship somewhat off the field, which has allowed Cleary to do what he has done on the field. That has, however, taken over three years. Not 8 months.

Our bottom of the barrel moment was in 2016. We did amazing to come out so well last season, but we're now finding that we still have work to do before we can say it's all good again. Especially given we simply don't have the "outside the salary cap" abilities that other clubs do thanks to a decade or more of self-interested f**kwits running the club into the ground.

I have faith that our rebuild will be successful, but we were lower than the Tigers at our worst...

Latest posts