What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where has the integrity gone?

Drag Queen

Bench
Over the last 24 hours I noticed my name has come under integrity and scrutiny as being a troll. Not so. I love my Red White and V and dare anyone to dispute it. I thought I should join this forum bringing a girl's perspective. I have to say I've come across a few wankers along the way and some pretty good blokes too. I don't know ALSTGI from a bar of soap and yet he perpetuated I was a troll. Not so again. I've had a raft of vitriol regarding my opinion of McIness and Dufty. Nothing new there.
I'm finally preggers so I'm more hormonal/emotional than I thought I would be. My step kids are in early adulthood and have been amazing and I'd throw in the old boy to. Be kind to one another Xx

Old Timer

Coach
Over the last 24 hours I noticed my name has come under integrity and scrutiny as being a troll. Not so. I love my Red White and V and dare anyone to dispute it. I thought I should join this forum bringing a girl's perspective. I have to say I've come across a few wankers along the way and some pretty good blokes too. I don't know ALSTGI from a bar of soap and yet he perpetuated I was a troll. Not so again. I've had a raft of vitriol regarding my opinion of McIness and Dufty. Nothing new there.
I'm finally preggers so I'm more hormonal/emotional than I thought I would be. My step kids are in early adulthood and have been amazing and I'd throw in the old boy to. Be kind to one another Xx
You love dishing it out but now want to have conditions on what others can say or do to you.
Then you resort to the old sympathy card to try & get people on side
You must be Barnaby’s sister amongst all the other people you are as well.
If you want integrity best you start using it yourself.

epDragon62

First Grade
Hey Drag Queen, firstly congrats on being up the duff, exciting times!

My humble opinion; you will rarely get slammed if you don’t slam. If you react to the bs some folks dish out on this forum, you will get some non-sensical vitriol from time to time. So, just chill, don’t take things too personally and don’t feel like you have to win every argument/debate etc.

Live by the sword, die by the sword...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think it was around 2003 that we last saw it..

images

But if you ask me St George bank is a much better fit..

Frank Facer

First Grade
How ironic. You have shown yourself to lack integrity, time and time again. lol

I dispute that you love the red and white. lol I think you are a troll and so do others. lol

I distinctly remember saying we could’ve done with benji as a solid back up in this squad and you straight out called me a dick head not realizing the context so you reap what you sow I say!

Belta

Juniors
I wondered that today when my teenage daughter came home beside herself after she refereed an under 9s game. She said a child tripped over his own feet and stayed down. A male ran onto the field and yelled at my daughter; "You're a f$&g shit ref. I should have refereed this game. ". The child got to his feet and continued the full game with no issues.

When my daughter first told me this she still very upset. I wrongly said to my daughter that it comes with the territory. Unfortunately we live in a society today with people who have no integrity and will intimidate and verbally abuse others including young children without any consideration to how that behaviour affects the person they are directing it to. I did later correct myself and say to my daughter I'm sorry that man spoke to you that way, it is wrong and unacceptable. It has been reported and hopefully there will be some recourse for this person.

Two weeks ago at an under 14 game a coach verbally abused the young ref throughout the whole game. The language again incorporated the F word plus other such words. He could be herd yelling out at the ref from the other side of the field and it was obvious it was intimidating the young boy. Afterwards I couldn't help hearing a parent excusing the behaviour; "Oh that's just him"

Gareth67

First Grade
I wondered that today when my teenage daughter came home beside herself after she refereed an under 9s game. She said a child tripped over his own feet and stayed down. A male ran onto the field and yelled at my daughter; "You're a f$&g shit ref. I should have refereed this game. ". The child got to his feet and continued the full game with no issues.

When my daughter first told me this she still very upset. I wrongly said to my daughter that it comes with the territory. Unfortunately we live in a society today with people who have no integrity and will intimidate and verbally abuse others including young children without any consideration to how that behaviour affects the person they are directing it to. I did later correct myself and say to my daughter I'm sorry that man spoke to you that way, it is wrong and unacceptable. It has been reported and hopefully there will be some recourse for this person.

Two weeks ago at an under 14 game a coach verbally abused the young ref throughout the whole game. The language again incorporated the F word plus other such words. He could be herd yelling out at the ref from the other side of the field and it was obvious it was intimidating the young boy. Afterwards I couldn't help hearing a parent excusing the behaviour; "Oh that's just him"

Disgusting to say the least Belta , life is hard enough as it is but to verbally abuse kiddies / young people is just not on . ( more so those whom are doing the local community a service ) I hope your daughter is strong enough to be able to put this all behind her .

Last edited:

Belta

Juniors
Gareth 67 said;

“Disgusting to say the least Belta , life is hard enough as it is but to verbally abuse kiddies / young people is just not on . ( more sothose whom are doing the local community a service ) I hope your daughter is strongenough to be able to put this all behind her.”

The other issue is she has indicated she doesn’t want to ref anymore which I think is good as there are just too many dickhds around sporting events these days due to a lack of respect and decency

Dragonsteve2

Juniors

Belta, I am very sorry for what your daughter experienced. I know that you will do all you can to encourage and counsel her. I have no experience of refereeing Rugby League though was a Rugby ref through my teens and early 20s when society was much more polite. But now in my 60s I have been a cricket umpire for more than a decade and it it is from that experience I would like to offer your daughter a perspective:

1. Only officiate if you recognise and can accept that you will make mistakes whether through human error or being unsighted.
2. Know the Laws of the Game/Comp as well as you can to minimise errors.
3. Grab any opportunity to help you improve your performance.
4. Take pride in the fact that you are providing the best possible experience for the players - obviously 34 at senior level, don't know the number in U/9s - and know that this is probably their most favoured time in the week. It may be your best opportunity to have a positive impact too.
5. Understand that parents can be even more volatile than Dragons' supporters. Many will be great people and appreciate your efforts but others will look for any excuse other than their own child's performance.
6. Know the process for reporting players or abusive spectators.
7. When you put on your Ref's uniform consider yourself a valued member of a group with a long tradition of valuable service to the community.

The hardest thing I have found as an umpire in dealing with abuse is when you have doubts about a decision you have made. But with experience comes greater confidence and competence in decision-making. With that comes a stronger pride in your performance and the strength to face abuse and recognise it as a problem on the part of the abuser not the official.

ALSGI

Bench

Well done to your girl and you mate.

I used to coach my girls netball teams and my sons soccer and cricket teams, only because no one else would put their hand up. It was a struggle with shift work. I ended up refereeing a lot as well when no one else showed up. I copped a lot of flack from dickhead parents and so did my kids despite them getting less than favourable game time to avoid bias accusations. I discussed this with them when they were kids and when they were older and in hindsight I shouldn’t have worried about perceptions of others. The dickhead parents were always going to be there regardless. Both my kids ended up in junior rep teams anyway and are going very well with their lives now.

Hope your girl sticks at it, it will make her stronger and wiser for the challenges ahead.

Drag Queen

Bench
Hey Drag Queen, firstly congrats on being up the duff, exciting times!

My humble opinion; you will rarely get slammed if you don’t slam. If you react to the bs some folks dish out on this forum, you will get some non-sensical vitriol from time to time. So, just chill, don’t take things too personally and don’t feel like you have to win every argument/debate etc.

Live by the sword, die by the sword...
Too nauseous atm. Haven't vomited yet although I want to. I'm slightly disappointed regarding remarks made about me. Usually I wouldn't give a shit so I'll blame it on the hormones Xx

Belta

Juniors
Thanks, Dragonsteve2 and ALSIG for your insightful and encouraging words. She is still very young and an extremely busy individual, as many sporting teenagers are these days. She has very good support and her friends have joked the incident away (which is possibly the best debriefing she could get). I’m hearing plenty of people witnessed it and are very appalled, for my daughter she’d rather forget it as she’d wouldn’t want any grief on anyone even if they were at fault. Not sure if she’ll continue, but if she really wants it this incident shan’t be the be all end all. If she had a break I hope she picks it up later because I to see judicials as very important and valuable service in the community

Latest posts