What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 21 vs Knights @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 21: Knights v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2018 - Round 21
Newcastle Knights v Wests Tigers
McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton (TICKETS)
Friday 3 August 2018

Gates 3:30pm / ISP 3:45pm / NRL 6pm

TL-NEW18.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Ken Sio 3. Sione Mata'utia 4. Cory Denniss 5. Shaun Kenny-dowall 6. Connor Watson 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. Herman Ese'ese 9. Danny Levi 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 12. Mitchell Barnett 13. Aidan Guerra
Interchange: 14. Jamie Buhrer 15. Chris Heighington 16. Josh King 17. Jj Felise 18. Nicholas Meaney 19. Sam Stone 20. Jack Cogger 21. Luke Yates

TL-WST18.png

1. Moses Mbye 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Esan Marsters 4. Kevin Naiqama 5. Corey Thompson 6. Benji Marshall 7. Luke Brooks 8. Russell Packer 9. Robbie Farah 10. Ben Matulino 11. Michael Chee Kam 12. Luke Garner 13. Elijah Taylor
Interchange: 14. Alex Twal 15. Sauaso Sue 16. Robert Rochow 17. Matt Eisenhuth 18. Jacob Liddle 19. Chris McQueen 20. Pita Godinet 21. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak

REF-YELLOW-1000px_1.jpg

Referees: Grant Atkins, Matt Noyen
Sideline Officials: Dave Munro, Kasey Badger
Video Referees: Henry Perenara, Luke Patten

Feeder clubs
KNIGHTS (NSWRL) & WESTS TIGERS (NSWRL - Wests Magpies)
FRI
Knights v Mounties (CAN) @ McDonald Jones, ISP 3:45pm
SAT
Knights v Mounties (CAN) @ St Johns Oval Charlestown, Flegg 3pm
SUN
Panthers v Wests Tigers / Magpies @ Panthers, Flegg 11:45am / ISP 1:45pm​

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiger Ted

Bench
Knights should win this & Pearce will b mom.Over the past few yrs when they picked up the spoons I’m sure we would’ve been the only team that they had a +ve win/loss record over.

super_coach

First Grade
Hard to see them winning after last weeks effort, but we are talking Tigers now, so who knows what team turns up.

I just see The Knights no1 having a day out...call me negative

Tigerm

First Grade
We've got this, Warriors will lose and we are back to start thinking, maybe......again:D

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'm probably alone in thinking this, but I don't think the issue last week was effort. It's like the Bulldogs had a peak at our entire playbook before the game and trained accordingly. They were able to shut down almost every attacking play we threw at them and it just completely demoralised us. I don't see it as "oh great we are shit", I see it as "well played Bulldogs, well played".

The difference between top 4 teams and the rest of the comp are the ones that can adapt on the fly. We aren't at that stage just yet, and tbh its fitting that the usual suspects are back in the top 4 this year. Roosters and Storm are teams that can do this better than anyone. Its why they hit their straps at the end of the year and are always in finals contention. And also because they cheat the salary cap

Das Hassler

Bench
I'm probably alone in thinking this, but I don't think the issue last week was effort. It's like the Bulldogs had a peak at our entire playbook before the game and trained accordingly. They were able to shut down almost every attacking play we threw at them and it just completely demoralised us. I don't see it as "oh great we are shit", I see it as "well played Bulldogs, well played".

The difference between top 4 teams and the rest of the comp are the ones that can adapt on the fly. We aren't at that stage just yet, and tbh its fitting that the usual suspects are back in the top 4 this year. Roosters and Storm are teams that can do this better than anyone. Its why they hit their straps at the end of the year and are always in finals contention. And also because they cheat the salary cap

Couldnt agree more....Dogs did their homework. They didnt have the class to construct much but they shut us down well. Elliot's desperation in pulling in Brooks when he poked through the line showed hiw much they wanted it. They havent been given enough credit.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Benji to play for his late 'koro' against Knights
Christian Nicolussi

The late grandfather of Benji Marshall made it clear he wanted the Wests Tigers pin-up to play on Friday night.

Marshall’s 93-year-old ‘koro’ passed away on Wednesday and no doubt will be in the playmaker’s thoughts as the Tigers try to cling to their faint NRL finals hopes against the Knights in Newcastle.
Heavy heart: Benji Marshall is mourning the death of his grandfather but will play on Friday night.

‘‘He’ll definitely play,’’ Tigers coach Ivan Cleary said. ‘‘‘Benj’ actually brought it up with me and how his grandfather said to him, ‘you have to play’. It’s been an emotional week for him. But he looks pretty determined.’’

Marshall flew home to New Zealand to be with his grandfather last weekend, and is expected to cross the Tasman again first thing on Saturday to attend the funeral.

In a heartfelt Instagram post, Marshall said: ‘‘You were my number 1 supporter and always had my back. You even wore your Wests Tigers jersey every day, then the Dragons and Broncos, but you were happiest when I came home to the Tigers so you could wear your Tigers hats again.’’

Marshall and fellow premiership Tiger Robbie Farah are expected to make calls on their futures in the coming weeks, and Cleary would love to have them both on board if that was what they wanted.

It’s understood the pair are keen to make a decision before the round-23 clash against St George Illawarra at Leichhardt Oval so proper farewell celebrations can be planned or canned.

‘‘We haven’t had that conversation [about next year], but it’s getting closer,’’ Cleary said. ‘‘It’s similar to Robbie. They have to work out whether they want to play on.

‘‘I think they want to, but it’s whether they can commit to it. We’d like to have them – if they want to play on I’d love to have them.

‘‘I have too much respect for them to push them into anything, which I wouldn’t do. It will happen organically. We’ll get there.

‘‘Benji has been super handy for us, considering everything that has gone on with ‘Grub’ [Josh Reynolds]. He’s still got it.

‘‘Benji has played way more football than he anticipated. I didn’t think too deeply into it, but I probably didn’t anticipate him playing this much either.’’

The Tigers sit four points adrift of the New Zealand Warriors and need to beat the Knights in their own backyard if they are to remain in the finals race. A shock loss to Canterbury continued a pattern for the Tigers, said Cleary.

‘‘We started the year with two big wins against big teams, then we played the Broncos in round three and lost, and we weren’t great that night,’’ Cleary said. ‘‘To the Dogs’ credit, that win was coming for them [last week]. They had beaten Newcastle, they should have beaten Canberra, and they have a new lease of life at the moment.’’

Based on the effort against Dogs, it was asked of Cleary if the Tigers deserved to feature in September.

‘‘There are five games to go, and you finish where you deserve. It’s not over yet,’’ Cleary said.

The Tigers knocked over St George Illawarra and South Sydney before the stunning loss to the Bulldogs. Newcastle, who beat the Tigers right on full-time earlier this season, were mowed down by the Cowboys last Friday. Marshall, Farah, halfback Luke Brooks and new fullback Moses Mbye looked good until the last-start hiccup.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Can’t see how The Huth keeps getting picked...no impact at all and misses a lot of one on one tackles..ISP at best and definitely should NOT be in the starting 13...

Hopefully we are still alive when Rowdy and Aloiai come back do Eiso can have a spell in nsw cup

Sadly atm it’s either he, Rochow or McQueen

Tiger05

First Grade
Hopefully we are still alive when Rowdy and Aloiai come back do Eiso can have a spell in nsw cup

Sadly atm it’s either he, Rochow or McQueen

I think you have to pick Eisenhuth now. I like the look of the team. I hope they turn up tonight.

Latest posts