What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 R21 Fri - Rabbitohs 30-20 Storm @ ANZ

Round 21: Rabbitohs v Storm

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have been absolutely woeful against the Storm in recent years but I think a lot of that was to do with the fact that Michael Maguire modeled a lot of our game plan and formations on what the storm did. For a while there we were very much like a storm copy. History shows that it's very very tough to beat the Storm at their own game.

This year I think will be very different. Seibold has been in the storm system so he knows what they are all about but he also has us playing a vastly different game plan to what the storm play and what we've have played the past few years.

In previous years, games between our sides have been wrestle mania and of course, I expect the storm to do their best to slow us down in the ruck as much as possible. Going through the middle of teams with the Burgess brothers and Cook is still our best method of attack and the storm will do their utmost to blunt that. But in the past, that was all we had. We didn't really have a plan b where as this year we have the best left side attack in the competition. We also showed last week that if the left is well handled then we can go right and score points through Graham and Gagai as well. Once upon a time, if you shut us down through the middle, it was game over. This year... Not so much.

If you look at form, then it looks like a no brainer that the storm should win and win comfortably but if you dig a bit deeper, they have been significantly less effective away from home this year then they have at home and we have generally lifted and played a better standard of football against the good sides than we have against teams outside the eight.

So personally, I think it will be close and I hope we can get the win but it could really go either way.

typicalfan

Coach
I'll give you Bromwich - although he's been average this year - but the others aren't even close to JWH & Cordner.

That's up there with your call that Chambers is better than Latrell. She's not even in Latrell's league.
By average you mean injured right? Bromwich has been strong since returning from injury.

moffla

Bench
Not sure which way this will swing.

We are a better side than the bunnies, but we are due not only for a loss but a loss against them. They are far improved side from recent years as well.

Either way it will be close you'd imagine. Storm by 4 at a guess

Vic Mackey

Referee
We have been absolutely woeful against the Storm in recent years but I think a lot of that was to do with the fact that Michael Maguire modeled a lot of our game plan and formations on what the storm did. For a while there we were very much like a storm copy. History shows that it's very very tough to beat the Storm at their own game.

This year I think will be very different. Seibold has been in the storm system so he knows what they are all about but he also has us playing a vastly different game plan to what the storm play and what we've have played the past few years.

In previous years, games between our sides have been wrestle mania and of course, I expect the storm to do their best to slow us down in the ruck as much as possible. Going through the middle of teams with the Burgess brothers and Cook is still our best method of attack and the storm will do their utmost to blunt that. But in the past, that was all we had. We didn't really have a plan b where as this year we have the best left side attack in the competition. We also showed last week that if the left is well handled then we can go right and score points through Graham and Gagai as well. Once upon a time, if you shut us down through the middle, it was game over. This year... Not so much.

If you look at form, then it looks like a no brainer that the storm should win and win comfortably but if you dig a bit deeper, they have been significantly less effective away from home this year then they have at home and we have generally lifted and played a better standard of football against the good sides than we have against teams outside the eight.

So personally, I think it will be close and I hope we can get the win but it could really go either way.

When I read a quality break down like this I wonder how the hell you survive in the cesspool that is the Rabbitohs forum

Liddell

Juniors
Souths by 8, so get ready for the glory glory YouTube clip and more than one post by r20 after full time.

Valheru

Coach
I love how nearly everyone is writing us off that's just what we want actually...

Why?? Do you actually think that will change the result?

For what it's worth, I think Melbourne are pretty much due a loss but souths form isn't inspiring.

This is hard to tip.

Valheru

Coach
Since the Roosters last won the comp in 2013, they've made the finals three times, minor premiers 2 of them, second place the other, and have been beaten 5 times by lower ranked sides in the finals, failing to make a GF each time. Robinson can get a side into the finals near the top but after that things aren't so rosy. This is the issue your side has to overcome if it is even to stand on the same paddock as the Storm in September/October.

Well when you finish 1st it is hard to lose to a team higher than you on the ladder? You can't say Robinson can get a team to the finals but thereafter it goes to shit when he has actually won a comp.

On the 3 failures you are referring to, 2014 was an odd comp in that we never looked interested all year but fell in to first on pure talent and then when everyone else stepped up a gear we weren't interested in going with them.

2017 we were far from a 2nd placed team in most other years and got there on a few fortuitous close wins and found out in the finals.

In 2015 we were far and away the best team and should have won the comp and likely would have had we not got key injuries two weeks before the finals (JWH and Pearce).

Should we get to the top 4 relatively injury free this year than yes, I would agree it is a true test for both Robinson and Cronk.

Anyways, regarding the game at hand, I think Souths might get there in a tight one.

TheFrog

Coach
Well when you finish 1st it is hard to lose to a team higher than you on the ladder?
You are right, but the point remains. Since 2014 they have trouble in the finals in games they are expected to win. Robinson would be very aware of the issue right about now and trying to devise an answer. It can only be complacency. Expecting to easily beat teams you flogged earlier on and finding things very different.

Vic Mackey

Referee

For what it's worth, I think Melbourne are pretty much due a loss but souths form isn't inspiring.

This is hard to tip.

R20 genuinely believes that what gets said in here has a direct influence on the game.

Rabbits20

Immortal

This is hard to tip.
I want all the pressure on you guys as the benchmark...

blaza88z

Coach
Souffs got flogged by the Tigers and needed a lopsided 2nd half penalty count to crawl past the Eels

They should be written off until they give me (and every other neutral) a reason to think otherwise