What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Panthers

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Villa
Where do you see Jazz fitting in? I agree he doesn't have the skills for a back up hooker.

It's difficult to say. He's still young, but I think the poor errors, penalties, and trying to force things will disappear from his game over time.
He played 19 games this year, averaged over 30 tackles a game, over 100m in his last 11 (bar too poor showings), 36 tackle breaks, 30 offloads, 16 errors and 14 penalties.
If he cuts those errors and penalties in half, those are some great stats for a 21 year old.

I think we didn't know how to use Jazz this year. With another big body in Ah Mau here next year, I'd limit his minutes to 40ish a game, and have RTS/Luke sniffing around for that little offload when it looks like things have stopped.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think they need to persevere on his dummy half game and try to improve his service there, but on the understanding that his role is as a backup DH, not to overplay his hand, just get a quick pass away or take a run from DH when it’s on. Do that and reduce his error/penalty rate and he’s very valuable.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I get what your saying, but Bellamy has the safety net of the top 4 influencing his decision on resting players. If the storm lost to the panthers which they did, they would still get 2 bites at the cherry.. so its not absolutely imperative that they go into Week 1 of finals on the back of a win. That's not to say that he wouldnt have wanted a win, but its not as dire for him I reckon.

I don't think we can blame Kearney for playing the big guns. In my opinion, for us, we need as much momentum as possible going into finals to have a hope especially seeing as we are playing sudden death footy from the get go.
Yeah I was speaking in hindsight which is unfair to the circumstances. I personally would have gone with the line up I had presented and would've given Simon so many minutes (opening 10-15 mins) for his 300th, I shit you not.

Did we get momentum from that Raiders game? well we gotta good hard game and I guess thats an upside. I've already discussed the cons but hopefully those two are playing this week with NOTHING holding them back from given it a 100% because the Panthers this week is a different Panthers to what who we played last. I wonder whos injured from them...

Bloody hell, of all the players to get a injury it had to be two of the most vital players in the team. No wonder Kearney looked sleepless in his last interview.

sup42

Juniors
Whatever ails RTS is either bruising or a very light sprain, after walking heavy on that affected leg he ran some full out sprints and threw in a few jinking side steps without any sign of distress.

Post match he said he was fine.

As for Mannering he looked terrible. Performing the simplest of movements (Clapping a Warriors Try on the side line, and the mere act of breathing).

His injury is more than pain. It is functional. If they gamble on a partially fit Mannering for sentimental reasons that would be a rubbish call.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Whatever ails RTS is either bruising or a very light sprain, after walking heavy on that affected leg he ran some full out sprints and threw in a few jinking side steps without any sign of distress.

As for Mannering he looked terrible. Performing the simplest of movements (Clapping a Warriors Try on the side line, and the mere act of breathing).

His injury is more than pain. It is functional. If they gamble on a partially fit Mannering for sentimental reasons that would be a rubbish call.
Is a less than 100% Simon Mannering worth fielding over someone that IS a 100% in a sudden death game? some might say it depends on the severity of the injury but if we cast our minds back to his mid season lacklustre performances, I would say he needs to be fully functional because one thing that made Simon the man, is his ability to give it a 100% every week. I really hope he can play and go hard this week.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah but he WONT be a 100%.

Yeah you're right and I honestly hope the players share your sentiments. Can't help but think that it could've been avoided, had Kearney just listened to me!!! LOL yeah but I'm a no-one. I noticed Bellamy rested a lot of his gun players during the weekend...

Little bit worried about Captain Rogers ankle niggle and its effect on his agility...

No one's ever going to advocate for resting players when a home semi was absolutely on the cards. The Raiders were in fine form, it was never even a consideration.

Any niggling injuries this week will be solved with the adrenaline of playing finals footy.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

You'd still jab it, wouldn't you? I speak of this without knowing anything about the injury, sternum? He's too important to us in finals with the way he plays. If he gets jabbed and he can't play after this week, so be it. Obviously yeah, if he isn't able to perform his core roles without significant pain you'd consider leaving him out...but this is a guy who has made performing through adversary his trade mark. The alternatives are far too inexperienced and/or lacking finals-type steel to not take a wee bit of a risk.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
No one's ever going to advocate for resting players when a home semi was absolutely on the cards. The Raiders were in fine form, it was never even a consideration.

Any niggling injuries this week will be solved with the adrenaline of playing finals footy.
We can say 'but we couldve this, but that' but in the end all we got was a niggle to RTS and Simon injured. Oh and the win with no home semi. Thats the reality :(

vvvrulz

Coach

Absolutely agree; and to be the devils advocate, Mannering wasn't in particularly good form to be risked. Sad way for it to end, but it would be stupid to field a broken Mannering when he'll be required to defend like a demon, and he has already been wobbly in patches this year.

The back row is the one area we're pretty well covered, Harris is leading the charge and Papalii is very much up to the task.

We play as we did in Round 1, and we'll go places.

Blair

Coach
1. RTS
2. Fus
3. Hiku
4. Kata
5. Maumalo
6. Green
7. Johnson
8. Afoa
9. Luke
10. Paasi
11. Papali
12. Harris
13. Blair

14. Tevaga
15. Pulu
16. Mannering
17. Gavet.

Aside from who starts and who is benched, the team picks itself really. Hope Mannering is all good.

We could probably clean up the thread title now, eh?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Absolutely agree; and to be the devils advocate, Mannering wasn't in particularly good form to be risked. Sad way for it to end, but it would be stupid to field a broken Mannering when he'll be required to defend like a demon, and he has already been wobbly in patches this year.

The back row is the one area we're pretty well covered, Harris is leading the charge and Papalii is very much up to the task.

There couldn't be a bigger Simon sycophant than me...but yeah I agree that it would be stupid to field him if he's broken. What I'm saying is that if they can needle him, and he feels up to contact, I'd play him. Even if it was for one week. I don't see how we replace the 50 tackles, the attitude, the calm, the experience. Papalii is a gun, and he'll be even more of a gun in the future, but this is the big stage. We need Mr 300 unless he is completely broken.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade

Yeah pretty much what I was saying earlier. However Im not so confident of Papalii.

So outsiders for this one, which is a good thing going on form this year.
$2.15 vs Panthers $1.71

SK's first finals series as a head coach.
What new tricks do we have?

What did others think of the move introduced on the weekend or turning Maumalo inside, sadly at Josh Papalii. If they could target a half it should be a good one.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
What did others think of the move introduced on the weekend or turning Maumalo inside, sadly at Josh Papalii. If they could target a half it should be a good one.
Yeah I saw that. They ran it twice with Ken knocking on the first one. I like it and they are trying to target a half as you say. The other benefit is where they end up (if Ken does get tackled, it'll be round about 10-20 metres lateral of the left goal post) they're well set up to go right, giving Johnson/Harris/Hiku/Fus some nice space.

JJ

Immortal
$2.15 vs Panthers $1.71

Presumably only outsiders on the Australian market? Aside from the Broncos - Dragons game, the rest are all dead even imo - pretty funny that everyone's banging on about the Roosters as minor premiers, and the Storm - W-L is exactly the same for the Bunnies and Sharks

As Mayhew keeps saying, Simon is a tough man - he'll play if possible - but he's also team first, so pretty sure he's rule himself out if he felt he couldn't get the job done - damn I will miss him

sup42

Juniors
$2.15 vs Panthers $1.71

Mixed thoughts on Maumalo's new role, overall happy with it.
Will wait and see what is looks like when Blake Green is feeding Ken ball.
On the one hand I am always pleased to see the Warriors introduce new moves.

We all know Ken is entitled to see more attacking opportunities, I find it interesting that the Warriors have acknowledged this a week after signing him long term.

The move itself is a still a pretty predictable play though, he is basically running a 2nd rowers channel, which is why I want to see if Blake Green (who can put Forwards through with that pass) makes a difference for Ken.

Otherwise it seems rather than giving Ken an opportunity to score, he is by default carrying more of the forwards work, thereby I have mixed feelings, he already is an invaluable / most important hit up guy in the team....no need to tax his reserves further if all he is going to be doing is running straight into people.

Kens got a good sidestep when he uses it, maybe try that big fullah and a bit of a fend.

sup42

Juniors
You'd still jab it, wouldn't you? I speak of this without knowing anything about the injury, sternum? He's too important to us in finals with the way he plays. If he gets jabbed and he can't play after this week, so be it. Obviously yeah, if he isn't able to perform his core roles without significant pain you'd consider leaving him out...but this is a guy who has made performing through adversary his trade mark. The alternatives are far too inexperienced and/or lacking finals-type steel to not take a wee bit of a risk.
Yeah Jab him and give him the last hour to decide.

He deserves at least that.

Don't forget people, we were defending better before Simons return to the side (more about early season attitude being sound and some desperation).

We don't actually need Simona fifty tackles anymore, though it is obviously preferable to have them.
We do know how to tackle well without him now. Which would be why he is being replaced by a Prop in Salary cap terms rather than another of Kearneys beloved backrowers.

JJ

Immortal
I seem to recall Glenn Lazarus toiling through a finals series with a sternum injury?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
$2.15 vs Panthers $1.71

Not a big fan of it in it's current form. If the half is marking up on the ballplayer then Maumalo will almost always find himself crashing into the lock/second rower and a dummy won't do much to create nimbers with the winger taken out of play.

Nice to see something different but needs refinement.

Latest posts