What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

GAZF

First Grade
I think @gzerounian simply doesn't like the new logo and will rant about anything to prove it.
There are some valid criticisms about how the logos have been rolled out, recognisability and whether they will have staying power. I'd rather give the entire approach a bit more time to make a full evaluation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh I hate it thats why I spend a fortune going to games and watch nearly every NRL game on Fox. Have supported my RL club since 9 years old and traveled the world to watch them. Am a member of a club in the NRL even though I rarely get to see them live etc.
You can disagree with the direction the game takes and its decisions without A) being an AFL fan B) being a rugby union fan C) hating the game. Pretty immature of you to think you cant.

And it seems from plenty of social media comments and on here my dislike of these 80's style logos that have replaced something that was perfectly fine and at least had a consistency across the code isnt unique.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I love the idea, but the execution could have been better...

My immediate thought is "do the shield in the club colour and the club logo in white". The shield and logo mix a bit too much and some colours go pretty poorly on the background.

Better still, they could have designed new versions of the club mascots for this concept. (IIRC, there ARL did super cartoonish, "secondary" logos for every team; those ones )

They could have just used the first letter from each of the clubs mascots for more consistency on the club logos.

MOCKUP:
View attachment 24418

f**k yehhhh, GAZF is right, i got a chubby...

It would definitely be possible to do stylised letters for a bunch of the clubs (Knights = that fancy "K", Bulldogs = the "CB" at the bottom of their logo, Raiders = They had a "C" made out of a machine gear, right?, etc...)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think you should be more questioning of how the games $100mill digital budget is being spent!
Very politician of you there, just throwing dollar figures out there like fact.

Clown.

GAZF

First Grade
yeh I hate it thats why I spend a fortune going to games and watch nearly every NRL game on Fox. Have supported my RL club since 9 years old and traveled the world to watch them. Am a member of a club in the NRL even though I rarely get to see them live etc.
You can disagree with the direction the game takes and its decisions without A) being an AFL fan B) being a rugby union fan C) hating the game. Pretty immature of you to think you cant.

And it seems from plenty of social media comments and on here my dislike of these 80's style logos that have replaced something that was perfectly fine and at least had a consistency across the code isnt unique.
I hereby rescind my joke in reference to you picking up where Dean Ritchie left off in criticising the logos.

I honestly don't get the references to 80's style logos though, can you elaborate?

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Might have been displayed in the last few pages, but what about the new logo but just done in team colours. Like the state based logos but the NRL teams.

Eg Eels would be blue shield with gold chevrons, NRL writing, border etc. And vice versa for alternative strip. Only Raiders and Souths would have any green.

Would work with multicoloured teams like Panthers. I think the logos would integrate well with the jersey but possibly too much! Pity we can't get sponsor integration so it is all consistent.

kdalymc

Bench
Firstly, people only know those now but as some stage they didn't. The NHL has always used the same idea of shield with NHL. MLS is not as mainstream as you would think, and has only increased in popularity with the current logo.

As for people in the WA thinking that the NRL is the National RUGBY League - where's the problem? I swear Rugby League fans have this odd fixation on moving on from the rugby name. There is a reason rugby remains in the name of the sport - because it IS RUGBY. If the game wants to promote itself, it can benefit from the Rugby name.

Ok, NBA, NHL, and NRL have all been alive for 100+. Which 1 only is heard of in one side of Australia....

And if Rugby (Union) has won the war (they have ) what chance do we have of expanding (to the world).
Cos after all, in the words of the man at the top of this Peter Beattie- this new look is all about growth bla bla.

I don’t know how to fix it but this approach is definitely a step backward.

carcharias

Immortal
Ok, NBA, NHL, and NRL have all been alive for 100+. Which 1 only is heard of in one side of Australia....

And if Rugby (Union) has won the war (they have ) what chance do we have of expanding (to the world).
Cos after all, in the words of the man at the top of this Peter Beattie- this new look is all about growth bla bla.

I don’t know how to fix it but this approach is definitely a step backward.

But
Rugby union is a dead duck here.
It is a shit game.
Shit rules
Boring as shit
Worse than AFL

greenBV4

Bench
The only way to stop confusion between the 2 rugby codes world wide is to have one of them change the actual name of the sport (very unlikely and should of been done when they split - too late now), have one of them basically go extinct globally or for the two codes to sit down and "join" again, which would mean lots of rule changes and a big mess, and is also very unlikely

I'd say the confusion comes mostly because Union mostly goes by just "Rugby" and Rugby League sounds like the competition name for rugby..

NBL - National Basketball League
NFL - National Football League
NHL - National Hockey League
AFL - Australian Football League
NRL - National Rugby League

All of those competitions have "league" in them but only one has league as part of the sports name

What the competition logo for for a national comp is has little to do with helping the rest of the world determine the difference between the 2 rugbys... unless we chuck rugby code 1/2 and rugby code 2/2 onto both of them

greenBV4

Bench
The little logo on a that shows up on the the browser tabs for each website just updated for NRL.com for me on chrome
Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 7.18.47 pm.png
seems to be a mix between the corporate and competition logos?
when compared to Facebook, Instagram and even this page it seems really low-res even for a tiny logo

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hereby rescind my joke in reference to you picking up where Dean Ritchie left off in criticising the logos.

I honestly don't get the references to 80's style logos though, can you elaborate?

Not sure if its the dayglo green on black the font or the blockiness of it all but they just have that 80's were moving into a digital age feel about them, I am an old timer and was a teen in the 80's so they are giving me that warm and fuzzy atari reminscence feeling! I guess they say what goes around comes around, maybe its just where branding is this year?

2046f0a0e68c60636f1d6c62cd6a0fc5.jpg

unforgiven

Bench
I'd say the confusion comes mostly because Union mostly goes by just "Rugby" and Rugby League sounds like the competition name for rugby..

NFL - National Football League
NHL - National Hockey League
AFL - Australian Football League
NRL - National Rugby League

All of those competitions have "league" in them but only one has league as part of the sports name
That's because when it was established it was a Rugby League, League was the name of a Rugby competition and really still is. Rugby 13 would have been a good name and said a lot about the game.

gzerounian

Juniors
H
Not sure if its the dayglo green on black the font or the blockiness of it all but they just have that 80's were moving into a digital age feel about them, I am an old timer and was a teen in the 80's so they are giving me that warm and fuzzy atari reminscence feeling! I guess they say what goes around comes around, maybe its just where branding is this year?

View attachment 24440

Haha Combat and Yars Revenge

images (1).png images (2).png