What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Qualifiers

langpark

First Grade
I’m no so sure I’ve a lot of British Caribbean friends, they all consider themselves British. It’s mostly back to grandparents and a lot of racial mixing in the two generations since. It’s not going to be a Tonga type situation

Ummm... what?

OQTRdIYG5A9rdKnPElLZeQACo1x4oqbUmK8L3Jj9be6C7VmATpSTAuNoRKdToyngYGodIDL8NvpcdUjM8rZupORM_Gy84_-iv0MolmurvpeuaNjOR2EqhRs-Ik7FCheSW9XR-WfF1FaptbtTAQBXQUk=w352-h202-nc

Force

Juniors
Twas a good game, Jamaica were solid all over the park, good to see them qualify for the first time. It would be a disaster if US dont qualify considering the next world cup is supposedly held on their doorstep.

Pommy

Coach
Twas a good game, Jamaica were solid all over the park, good to see them qualify for the first time. It would be a disaster if US dont qualify considering the next world cup is supposedly held on their doorstep.

Agreed, not only that but they have a good domestic scene and it would be a shame if that isn’t rewarded. Realistically the Cooks is such a small market for the sport and South Africa is probably lost to Union forever.

langpark

First Grade
Yeah it seems they consider themselves more Tongan than they do kiwi which is why I cited them.
Right! I just missed the key word in your original quote. The word "not", hence why I was confused. My mistake.

I will blame this one on lack of sleep!

I hope between now and then, they can engage the Jamaican community a bit and get them out to games. And if they're not in England's group, then there's no real conflict for them either, so they can support both.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Jesus I don’t see America beating the Cook Islands, the cookies can put a solid team together with some nrl players. America will need something special from here, what a shame, if the 2025 World Cup to be held in the states they need all the exposure they can get.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Which market has more potential for RL and also which market has done more domestically for RL?

USA
Cook Islands

The answer is the first, but it is probably going to be the second that will win through thanks to heritage Aussie / NZ players. This seems wrong and also seems like a poor outcome for the game.

yakstorm

First Grade
Question, what happened to the West Indies RL side???

West-Indies-Rugby-League-Match-Worn-player-Issue.jpg

More or less it died out once the Jamaican RL was established.

Originally the aim of the WIRLF was to form a 'West Indies' side to play in World Cups, just like in Cricket.

This was based upon the thought that a combined entity would have access to more players and would be more effective in gaining traction in more nations.

Naturally these intentions were well meaning, but honestly were quite nieve, and as the game started to establish itself around Kingston, the WIRLF was left to unravel.

deluded pom?

Coach
If the 2025 WC is held in the USA the Yanks will quality automatically. I doubt their participation in the 2021 would raise the profile of the sport very much at all.

Pommy

Coach
If the 2025 WC is held in the USA the Yanks will quality automatically. I doubt their participation in the 2021 would raise the profile of the sport very much at all.

You’re probably correct but it certainly wouldn’t do it any harm. It’s small steps to grow the sport in new countries. I honestly believe the World Cup is much poorer for the prospect of not having the USA involved at the expense of more heritage nations.

More or less it died out once the Jamaican RL was established.

Originally the aim of the WIRLF was to form a 'West Indies' side to play in World Cups, just like in Cricket.

This was based upon the thought that a combined entity would have access to more players and would be more effective in gaining traction in more nations.

Naturally these intentions were well meaning, but honestly were quite nieve, and as the game started to establish itself around Kingston, the WIRLF was left to unravel.
cheers for that

deluded pom?

Coach
You’re probably correct but it certainly wouldn’t do it any harm. It’s small steps to grow the sport in new countries. I honestly believe the World Cup is much poorer for the prospect of not having the USA involved at the expense of more heritage nations.
Jamaica may have plenty of heritage players available but at least they have a half decent domestic set up unlike some other heritage reliant nations.

Springs09

Juniors
Jesus I don’t see America beating the Cook Islands, the cookies can put a solid team together with some nrl players. America will need something special from here, what a shame, if the 2025 World Cup to be held in the states they need all the exposure they can get.

They did in 2013 and Cook Islands will likely have a weaker team than then. They aren't going to have Marsters or Rapana or Napa. At most they might have Glenn and Tetevano.

morningstar

Juniors
9FA1B267-D942-48A8-9081-14ED79F1C48F.jpeg - Still hope for Spain as there will be a draw for the final euro qualifiers.

- South Africa seem to have been shafted.

- Can anyone confirm if the Cook Island are locks for the world playoffs or can Phillipines snatch it if they get affiliate status soon?