What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
If we happen to get rid of Moses or any player I'd say that means we'll have all 3 of Mahoney, Brown and Stefano into the top 30. We can then have Fainga'a, Dunster, Parry, Schneider and Filia if he's cleared into the development squad.
Not keen to get rid of Moses just yet, maybe end of next season. Brown has only played 5-6 ISP games and to ask him to step up another grade at 18 would be asking too much just yet imo. Putting too much responsibility on his young shoulders. Let him play halfback in NRL this year only when/if Moses injured. We have enough inexperience in spine at moment without even more.

Glenneel

Bench
*Datsun 120Y
Good one Pou, and we know how fast it was off the mark. Another lie from Hindy because I was the security guard. You probably don't remember Hindy but I have no idea what you were doing with that sheep in the back as I didn't get close enough before you quickly got into the front completely naked and took off.

strider

Post Whore
While Mahoney definitely has to be moved into the top 30, would it worth keeping the others on development contracts and 2 spots open until it is a definite they will be picked?

A player from outside the club could come available or we may need an outside back rather then an half/prop or they may not be ready or we may not have a spot in the top 17, so many variables. Keeping them on development contracts gives us options, there isn’t any rush.
I dont think keeping top 30 spots open will be as important now ... you can bet you will lose a player mid season one way or another - and you can now bring in replacements able to play - its more about just staying under the cap

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
While Mahoney definitely has to be moved into the top 30, would it worth keeping the others on development contracts and 2 spots open until it is a definite they will be picked?

A player from outside the club could come available or we may need an outside back rather then an half/prop or they may not be ready or we may not have a spot in the top 17, so many variables. Keeping them on development contracts gives us options, there isn’t any rush.

I personally think it is a given they'll be picked, but that's just my view. Keeping them on development contracts currently means we can't play them in first grade, I know the hot topic around here is that development players can play first grade but I've yet to be given or seen any hard evidence from the NRL that this is the case.

A player from outside the club could become available but there may be 5 or 6 other clubs able to get their signature and we may be left in the lurch. We have Brown and Stefano here right now, we know their style, we know how they train, they know what's expected and we'll likely need a half if Moses is given a release and we could use Stefano's size in the middle.

I think we've got to give these guys the opportunity. Not only does it hold them in good stead but it also proves that our player development and culture in the juniors has shifted. To me if these guys prove themselves it means we can trust our junior players more in the future, they've been scouted by the same people, they've been through the same system so they should have similar attitudes.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Not keen to get rid of Moses just yet, maybe end of next season. Brown has only played 5-6 ISP games and to ask him to step up another grade at 18 would be asking too much just yet imo. Putting too much responsibility on his young shoulders. Let him play halfback in NRL this year only when/if Moses injured. We have enough inexperience in spine at moment without even more.

I'd rather Dylan Brown to be average than Moses be average again.

I doubt the NRL would allow any contract for Hayne to be registered.

Yeh, I'm not sure they could refuse registration (assuming that a club was insane enough to try), given that there is not a finding against him. They could place special conditions on the rego though. But I don't think we're going to find out.

Gazzamatta

Coach
We can't go any worse than we did in 2018. I also think a bit of a fresh start in the team after such a poor year is a good thing. And we won't have both halves overcalling each other.
Could it be that the majority of the problem was that the halfs generally only got the ball on tackle 4.
Tackles 1,2 and 3 are head down bum up. Tackle 5 is a kick, usually a mid field bomb.

Gronk

Staff member
The Cows have signed their own AFL Guy.

Cowboys take calculated punt on Dockers conditioner

North Queensland's "outside the square" appointment of long-time Fremantle Dockers conditioner Michael Dobbin as head of performance is one football director Peter Parr predicts will pay rich dividends.

Dobbin, who had been senior strength and conditioner at the AFL club since 2008, replaces club legend Paul Bowman, who has switched to a new role as head of sports science.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/03...s-take-punt-on-fremantle-dockers-conditioner/

84 Baby

Referee
I personally think it is a given they'll be picked, but that's just my view. Keeping them on development contracts currently means we can't play them in first grade, I know the hot topic around here is that development players can play first grade but I've yet to be given or seen any hard evidence from the NRL that this is the case.

A player from outside the club could become available but there may be 5 or 6 other clubs able to get their signature and we may be left in the lurch. We have Brown and Stefano here right now, we know their style, we know how they train, they know what's expected and we'll likely need a half if Moses is given a release and we could use Stefano's size in the middle.

I think we've got to give these guys the opportunity. Not only does it hold them in good stead but it also proves that our player development and culture in the juniors has shifted. To me if these guys prove themselves it means we can trust our junior players more in the future, they've been scouted by the same people, they've been through the same system so they should have similar attitudes.
I don’t think it’ll make a huge difference next season either way. Realistically we’d have to offload someone anyway to get a mid season signing that was worth a damn. However... we are better off leaving them as development contracts as a minimum until season kick off and probably until they are likely to warrant consistent top 17 selection. It’s basically long term injury insurance.

And for that matter, I reckon, barring injury/player movement, Salmon, Brown and Mahoney all start the year at ISP in order to get their combos up. That gives all of the off contract Norman, Moses and Kaysa notice that they need to perform together to start season or they won’t be resigned

IFR33K

Coach

North Queensland's "outside the square" appointment of long-time Fremantle Dockers conditioner Michael Dobbin as head of performance is one football director Peter Parr predicts will pay rich dividends.

Dobbin, who had been senior strength and conditioner at the AFL club since 2008, replaces club legend Paul Bowman, who has switched to a new role as head of sports science.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/03...s-take-punt-on-fremantle-dockers-conditioner/

Interesting. Can already imagine the posts next year

El Diablo

Post Whore

lol

don't they know about AFL guy?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I don’t think it’ll make a huge difference next season either way. Realistically we’d have to offload someone anyway to get a mid season signing that was worth a damn. However... we are better off leaving them as development contracts as a minimum until season kick off and probably until they are likely to warrant consistent top 17 selection. It’s basically long term injury insurance.

And for that matter, I reckon, barring injury/player movement, Salmon, Brown and Mahoney all start the year at ISP in order to get their combos up. That gives all of the off contract Norman, Moses and Kaysa notice that they need to perform together to start season or they won’t be resigned

Mahoney will be our main hooker for sure in first grade. Barring player movement you're probably right, although I think Salmon could easily fill a centre spot that is open, unless Ferguson plays centre.

hindy111

Post Whore
Mahoney will be our main hooker for sure in first grade. Barring player movement you're probably right, although I think Salmon could easily fill a centre spot that is open, unless Ferguson plays centre.

Name your side? I am curious where we go for fullback and centres.

84 Baby

Referee
Mahoney wouldn't surprise because he's probably definitely top 17.
I reckon Salmon is too, but if it were up to me he'd be developing halves combo with Brown.
I don't have him at centre because I'd go with Mennings (last ditch chance like the others) & Gunco (because French at fullback as last ditch blah blah blah).
I think with BA needing to win quickly then he'd be thinking same way. The problem will be if we don't, then any interim coach is also going to be looking to win quickly. A full replacement coach however may be more inclined to blood players in a shortened season