What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion looming in A-League - The Contrast with the NRL

mongoose

Coach
The A league tried to expand a few years ago and both teams folded after a season or two, why will this be any different?
So now they are going to have a team in the MacArthur region, but wait a minute, I thought they were all West Sydney Wanderers fanatics out that way? that's what I was told by A league fans.
And they are looking at putting a team halfway between Melbourne and Geelong, apparently some private investor is going to build them a stadium... yeah I'll believe that when I see it. I can't see them surviving playing out of an AFL stadium in Geelong for too long though,

Stallion

First Grade
Yes we know your opinion, youve spouted it a thousand times, my opinion is different. Each to their own. Neither of us run the nrl and can make the call so stop getting so irate about other people’s opinions or you’ll have a stroke!

It’s pretty embarrassing the nrl has come out at this exact moment In Time and talked about expansion the same week as Aleague announces it’s actually happening.

Whilst Aleague is announcing its expansion nrl is announcing yet another 12 month review, whilst Aleague has set in place a system to pay for its expansion in this tv cycle nrl feels it can’t do anything until after 2022,the comparisons between a broke arse Aleague who is a Making it happen and a super rich nrl who still has no idea what it wants to do are dead set embarrassing.

Same back at yu PR! However we do agree the NRL has been sitting on its hands. From what I can gather : Looks like the NRL have seen/worked out that Graham Richardson'Platinum' strategy would necessarily impact negatively on the code. So now we see a genuine look at genuine expansion without dilution or carving up existing established clubs that are assets to the competition. The talk using the key word 'additional' is heartening and long overdue. Sitting on their hands has been the NRL'S posture for some time now.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Same back at yu PR! However we do agree the NRL has been sitting on its hands. From what I can gather : Looks like the NRL have seen/worked out that Graham Richardson'Platinum' strategy would necessarily impact negatively on the code. So now we see a genuine look at genuine expansion without dilution or carving up existing established clubs that are assets to the competition. The talk using the key word 'additional' is heartening and long overdue. Sitting on their hands has been the NRL'S posture for some time now.

Don’t go off too quick, didn’t you see the comment about relocation?
Not that I think for one minute the nrl has the balls to relocate a team.

taipan

Referee
Yes we know your opinion, youve spouted it a thousand times, my opinion is different. Each to their own. Neither of us run the nrl and can make the call so stop getting so irate about other people’s opinions or you’ll have a stroke!

It’s pretty embarrassing the nrl has come out at this exact moment In Time and talked about expansion the same week as Aleague announces it’s actually happening.

Whilst Aleague is announcing its expansion nrl is announcing yet another 12 month review, whilst Aleague has set in place a system to pay for its expansion in this tv cycle nrl feels it can’t do anything until after 2022,the comparisons between a broke arse Aleague who is a Making it happen and a super rich nrl who still has no idea what it wants to do are dead set embarrassing.

They didn't initially bring it up, the question was asked in one of their news conferences with the off field incidents and the Cronulla Flanno rumours.
A league has not had to chop teams or relocate teams in this instance.They got their fingers burnt with Nth Queensland and the GC.

The thing that is embarrassing for the NRL is the alleged atrocities over the past few weeks.The code has commitments to clubs until end 2022

The A League TV ratings are abysmal ,they are also relying on private monies largesse, even building stadiums.The A league has to put in chicken feed money wise and the A league licences from the 2 new clubs bring in about $33m.
Is Perth going to provide $15m for a NRL licence to add to theThe NRL coffers?

At times your constant moaning and riding the death knell of Sydney clubs, is downright embarrassing.

I further note Cash Converters a backer of a new Perth NRL side, according to the SMH 13/12/18 has further lending issues.20 loans to 1 client in a year.And they have been hit with a new claim.
They had problems in the past, and promised to clean their act.Embarrassing yup.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
They didn't initially bring it up, the question was asked in one of their news conferences with the off field incidents and the Cronulla Flanno rumours.
A league has not had to chop teams or relocate teams in this instance.They got their fingers burnt with Nth Queensland and the GC.

The thing that is embarrassing for the NRL is the alleged atrocities over the past few weeks.The code has commitments to clubs until end 2022

The A League TV ratings are abysmal ,they are also relying on private monies largesse, even building stadiums.The A league has to put in chicken feed money wise and the A league licences from the 2 new clubs bring in about $33m.
Is Perth going to provide $15m for a NRL licence to add to theThe NRL coffers?

At times your constant moaning and riding the death knell of Sydney clubs, is downright embarrassing.

I further note Cash Converters a backer of a new Perth NRL side, according to the SMH 13/12/18 has further lending issues.20 loans to 1 client in a year.And they have been hit with a new claim.
They had problems in the past, and promised to clean their act.Embarrassing yup.

What do you mean they didn’t bring it up? They have a press release on their website and a hosted video interview with Greenberg.

Who knows, maybe if the nrl had a plan for expansion we would know if there was a consortia willing to put up $20mill for a perth license. We have three multi millionaires who have expressed interest in the past.

Re cash converters, hows your main sponsor going?

The Great Dane

First Grade
The A league tried to expand a few years ago and both teams folded after a season or two, why will this be any different?
So now they are going to have a team in the MacArthur region, but wait a minute, I thought they were all West Sydney Wanderers fanatics out that way? that's what I was told by A league fans.
And they are looking at putting a team halfway between Melbourne and Geelong, apparently some private investor is going to build them a stadium... yeah I'll believe that when I see it. I can't see them surviving playing out of an AFL stadium in Geelong for too long though,

The A-league chose the bids they picked cause those bids were the ones that were offering the most money for the licenses (that weren't South Melbourne, they're black listed cause they are one of the old ethnic clubs), and cause Fox was offering them extra money if they expanded in Sydney, Melbourne, or Brisbane. Anyone who tells you otherwise (and many soccer fans will try to tell you otherwise) is either a fool or lying to you.

Going for the money and the clubs with the glamorous feel about them is more or less the same tactic that they used when they expanded to NQ and the GC, and it'll work out just as poorly for them now as it did then except it'll be in different ways.

By the way I wouldn't be so sceptical about the offers to build stadiums and the such around the A-league bids, a lot of big movers in the sports world were sniffing around the bids looking for the opportunity to invest in them in the hopes of turning them into Melbourne City style development clubs for their clubs back in Europe. So yeah I wouldn't be surprised at all if they had a stupid rich group, team, or owner behind them willing to fund stadiums and stuff, even the Canberra bid had big backers behind them throwing money around (though they won't publicly release who yet).

King hit

Coach
Don't Perth Glory struggle to attract fans? why would they need a second club in a lowly rated competition

taipan

Referee
What do you mean they didn’t bring it up? They have a press release on their website and a hosted video interview with Greenberg.

Who knows, maybe if the nrl had a plan for expansion we would know if there was a consortia willing to put up $20mill for a perth license. We have three multi millionaires who have expressed interest in the past.

Re cash converters, hows your main sponsor going?

I saw the interview.I read the NRL website regularly.
The website is not prepared before any subject matter is discussed, or decisions made.
Expansion has been thrown up to Greenberg on a number of occasions and it's FTM the same response from him.The A League decision was just another prompter and he responded.
Expansion has been thrown up to Beattie a number of times.
You never stop bringing it up, moaning and whining about it.

The A league expansion discussion has been around for quite some time, and the pending decision for a couple of days.In fact the leak made the point the day before the announcement, that it would be those that were decided upon.Some of their clubs continue to lose money.

Beattie has spelt out why expansion has taken so long.It may not be to our liking, but it's pretty obvious any expansion has to be long term, viable,as enough money has been wasted on stuff ups,prop ups etc in the past.Hence why he's asked Greenberg & Co to do a thorough research into the how's,whys and wherefores over the next 12 months

Luckily our" blank jumpers" playing in the NRL are not lending money to people, who can least afford to do so.And not the first time as cited.How's your deflection going?
Matter of fact how's the sponsor handling the new claim, after they promised to clean up their act circa 2015.Isn't that a concern for possible NRL entry.

Oh and the Shark's club has already fielded expressions of interest from potential sponsors, more so since Johnson's signing.

The Shark's had ,millionaires involved with the club Peter Gow,the late owner of Shimano in Australia.Putting up money to fund a licences, is a different kettle of fish.

Perth Red

Post Whore
For a club still reliant on pokie machines I wouldn’t be throwing stones about the ethics of others business, especially given how tainted your club is!

taipan

Referee
For a club still reliant on pokie machines I wouldn’t be throwing stones about the ethics of others business, especially given how tainted your club is!

A club reliant on poker machines LOL .If that was the case, they would be like the other major clubs, and not incur the losses the football club has.Just throw money in to support the football club regardless of the loss.I wish the club had the poker machine money to cover football club debts.Yet they(football club) had to retrench a number of people to get costs down dramatically.

That's why the club is involved in a $700m plus development, to receive major revenue sourced from other areas such as retail rent, investments from unit sale profits,etc,

You're the one always promoting your potential NRL club as being so lilly white ,and deserving acceptance.You get the response you sow.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'll see your 20 and double it.
The A League has been adventurous and had its fair share of stuff ups on expansion.If consortiums are prepared to throw in a lot of loot for a licence, then good luck.We don't appear to have too many groups ATM prepared to do that.

How the hell could you possibly know that when the NRL hasn't actually started the bidding process?!

Obviously nobody is throwing stupid amounts of money around chasing an NRL license cause there isn't one on offer to throw money at in the hopes of winning it!

Do you expect groups to come out of nowhere spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on bids when there's nothing to bid for!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't Perth Glory struggle to attract fans? why would they need a second club in a lowly rated competition

They avg around 9k-10k which isnt great but isn’t terrible for Aleague. There is a massive soccer following here, mostly due to the 200k plus poms here. Most don’t support glory, largely due to the owner being a winker and the clubs continued poor form.

I reckon if you created a perth utd, played in a pseudo English kit, promoted it as an English fans club, you’d easily get 15k plus to games. Some rivallary for glory would benefit both clubs as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How the hell could you possibly know that when the NRL hasn't actually started the bidding process?!

Obviously nobody is throwing stupid amounts of money around chasing an NRL license cause there isn't one on offer to throw money at in the hopes of winning it!

Do you expect groups to come out of nowhere spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on bids when there's nothing to bid for!

How much did the knights and titans sell for? Did the nrl ever release the figures? It’s kind of weird that someone would pay $19mill for an Aleague license but we dont think an nrl license would be worth anything like that?