What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

I definitely agree that Norman had a poor season on 2018 and based on that form was not worth $900k for 2019.

However interestingly he signed on for the $900k for 2019 (and lessor amounts over the previous 2 years, which average his salary out to approx $733k pa) when he was probably at his peak in 2016 (based on his current career form).

Yet after a poor year his is still able to get fairly close to $900k pa with the dragons (reports are he is on $1.6m for 20/21).

So maybe our offer wasn’t that ridiculous and it’s just the market rate for a half considering he is still on a similar amount at a new club even after a poor year.
It wasn't a ridiculous amount. I remember it pretty well and the vast majority were happy to get him at that price. People are only pointing out now how overpaid he is because his contract was back-ended. No one was screaming about how he was such a bargain in his previous years.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I definitely agree that Norman had a poor season on 2018 and based on that form was not worth $900k for 2019.

However interestingly he signed on for the $900k for 2019 (and lessor amounts over the previous 2 years, which average his salary out to approx $733k pa) when he was probably at his peak in 2016 (based on his current career form).

Yet after a poor year his is still able to get fairly close to $900k pa with the dragons (reports are he is on $1.6m for 20/21).

So maybe our offer wasn’t that ridiculous and it’s just the market rate for a half considering he is still on a similar amount at a new club even after a poor year.
How much has the cap gone up since 2016???

El Diablo

Post Whore

but the Dragons aren't paying him $900k

IFR33K

Coach
It wasn't a ridiculous amount. I remember it pretty well and the vast majority were happy to get him at that price. People are only pointing out now how overpaid he is because his contract was back-ended. No one was screaming about how he was such a bargain in his previous years.

I remember it clearly too. He was rumoured to be in negotiations with the dragons at the time. And contract talks dragged out with him before he signed. We paid ‘top dollar’ for a immature player with potential.

Huggers are still attempting to justify his signing, all this despite BA basically acknowledging twas a f up.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Huggers are still attempting to justify his signing, all this despite BA basically acknowledging twas a f up.

Yet the dragons still paid a similar amount for him after a shit season!!

And Yes $800k is less then $900k, but it’s not exactly a massive difference!

Gronk

Staff member
WTF with merkins trying to make a horror story out of the Norman deal. Facts are that STG are paying him $800k a season which is double what his form suggests he is worth.

Why try and wring every mililitre of anticlub gotcha you can ? Ok we were paying him $940k and STG are only paying him $800k. Big f**king deal.

I'm glad he's out so Brown can give the No.7 curse whirl.

Gronk

Staff member
Anyhow the my point was not about Norman the player, but the market rate for a half.
Which makes the sound of NZs “6 year multi-million dollar deal” offer to Dylan Brown to be shit.

If a competitive and competent half in Norman is worth $800k, what is the Kalyn Ponga of halfbacks worth ?

Very astute of somebody at the club locking him up until end 2020. At least by the end of this year we’ll know if he is the goods or not.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
With Norman's contract too we've got to remember that despite his off-field drama he was set to win the Dally M in 2016, he was 10 points away from winning and he recieved an 8 week ban. Why wouldn't we think that a 25 year old half would be at his best when he's 28?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
http://fijisun.com.fj/2018/12/27/naiduki-signs-with-eels/

On phone, can someone paste the article for me?

tl;dr 18 year old Fijian centre thought to be signing with the raiders ends up signing with us for 3 years

“Ratu Kadavulevu School rugby Under-18 centre Solomoni Naiduki has signed a three-year deal with the National Rugby League side Paramatta Eels.

Initially there were talks for the Matacula villager from Tailevu signing with Canberra Raiders.

Yesterday his father Walosi Naiduki told SUNsports that his son had penned a new deal with the Sydney suburb-based club.

“Solomoni has signed a three years deal with Paramatta Eels and we are proud of his achievement and I know he is going there for exposure,” Naiduki said.

“We are supportive of his career and we are reminding him to have knowledge and wisdom.”

The 18-year-old has been reminded by his dad of his responsibility when settling in at the land Down Under.

“I have been telling my son that he needs to focus on his purpose of going to Australia since he will be new to environment and playing against professional players,” Naiduki said.

“He will need to prove himself to his team management everyday when training and during competition week.

“We also want to acknowledge Ratu Kadavulevu School for guiding him on his rugby career.”

Solomoni with the assistance of former Fiji Bati and Paramatta Eels rep Wise Kativerata secured his new deal.

He will start with the Paramatta U20 side next season.

Solomoni is now awaiting his visa which will be released early January.

From Melbourne Australia yesterday, Kativerata said Solomoni made a right decision to join Paramatta.

“I’m positive he will be looked after well as he starts his journey from U20 and if he performs well he will keep signing his contract till the senior level,” Kativerata said.

“I believe he’s got the talent to reach the elite level of NRL.”

Fijians who have reached the elite level for the Eels include Jarryd Hayne, Semi Radradra, Wise Kativerata, Eparama Navale and former Nadroga rugby winger Maika Sivo.

“Solomoni will be exposed to professional training which he will benefit from towards building his career,” Fiji National Rugby League chairman Peni Musunamasi said.

Edited by Percy Kean”

Latest posts