What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour 2019

Coastbloke

Bench
Ploise Ixplain? No wonder Sport Accord thinks we are a joke. The RLIF are utterly weak. Mind you, the same happens with the ICC and the Indian Board.. :expressionless:

siv

First Grade
Bullshit it is. Australia played in Fiji last year. Were all the flights, hotels and so on free?

When exactly is a game in Fiji suddenly going to become 'viable'?

Just rubbish excuses. We could easily do it, and I don't see how a midweek game in NZ against Fiji in front of no one will somehow make money compared to a game in Fiji. The benefits from a game in Fiji outweighs any small financial loss there might be.

More people would turn up to watch in NZ than in Fiji

roughyedspud

Coach
That bullshit circus that happened in Fiji makes more sense now..it's cheaper to have a glorified training run than play two actual tests...

As for the NRL holding the game to ransom.....what do you expect?

Springs09

Juniors
More people would turn up to watch in NZ than in Fiji

Midweek in NZ for a one-off game that doesn't even include NZ? They got 12,000 for NZ v Fiji for a quarter final of a World Cup.

5,000 in Fiji is better than 6,000 in NZ, though if it is seriously midweek like has been rumoured for GB v Fiji I'd say we are looking at 3-4,000.

Stallion

First Grade
Wonder how the Lions tour will fit in with players required for the World nines in Sydney? I'm hoping their will be decent coverage of this Lions tour in Australia . Unfortunately the World nines at the new Parramatta stadium will be screened only on FOX. It should be a simulcast coverage but atm this is not so! Still cannot believe the Kangaroos are not playing the Lions in Australia for at least one test! Just hope these administrators give the World nines as much exposure and emphasis as they are affording the state of origin games.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Wonder how the Lions tour will fit in with players required for the World nines in Sydney? I'm hoping their will be decent coverage of this Lions tour in Australia . Unfortunately the World nines at the new Parramatta stadium will be screened only on FOX. It should be a simulcast coverage but atm this is not so! Still cannot believe the Kangaroos are not playing the Lions in Australia for at least one test! Just hope these administrators give the World nines as much exposure and emphasis as they are affording the state of origin games.

Did any free-to-air network bid for the world 9's?

Perth Red

Post Whore
No FTA is going to fill three days of programming with a nines tournament! They might dump it onto a digital channel but then Fox will draw as many. Lol SOO is the NRL's golden goose, nothing is ever getting as much exposure as Origin gets.

The draft Program has the World Nines with the GB tour kicking off the weekend after. This makes sense as allows the GB and other nations players to be in Sydney for the Nines.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
If the NRL has a say they should help fund the international game with a grant so games can actually be played in the home countries. Also if the SOO is the golden goose how about the league insists that any TV deal includes 2-3 tests being broadcast out of the islands.
Lets make these bastards help us grow our game like other sports do.

Stallion

First Grade
No FTA is going to fill three days of programming with a nines tournament! They might dump it onto a digital channel but then Fox will draw as many. Lol SOO is the NRL's golden goose, nothing is ever getting as much exposure as Origin gets.

The draft Program has the World Nines with the GB tour kicking off the weekend after. This makes sense as allows the GB and other nations players to be in Sydney for the Nines.

I'm pretty sure their are other subsidiary channels(like nineGO or 7mate )that could cover the World nines on FTA . With fittingly the finals being covered on the main channel. This would be a positive outcome. Simulcast ofcourse. The more people being able to see an international tournament featuring rugbyleague the better!

Stallion

First Grade

And international rugby league could and should be an even bigger golden goose! Don't let insular thinking get in your way! The potential growth and interest in international rugby league is there. It just requires decent scheduling,marketing and promotion . None of which is satisfactory at the moment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And international rugby league could and should be an even bigger golden goose! Don't let insular thinking get in your way! The potential growth and interest in international rugby league is there. It just requires decent scheduling,marketing and promotion . None of which is satisfactory at the moment.

As much as I would like to agree with you, reality is no it cant be. There is no international competition in Australia that is bigger than origin in terms of revenue generation. If we could get IntRL back to where it was early 90's that would do me for starters! regular tests in front of 30k+ people and on FTA.

Australia is a very insular country, probably because of its geographical isolation from the rest of the Western world so its parochialism internally is far greater than its nationalism externally. It used to be Australia v England in any sport was huge but even the cricket ashes isnt that huge anymore. Add into that the believe that Australian RL players are far superior to any other and you can see why people look down on the NZ or England RL sides even when they are super competitive like at the moment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm pretty sure their are other subsidiary channels(like nineGO or 7mate )that could cover the World nines on FTA . With fittingly the finals being covered on the main channel. This would be a positive outcome. Simulcast ofcourse. The more people being able to see an international tournament featuring rugbyleague the better!

There are, but they didnt want them! They probably looked at the NRL nines and thoguht it is just another passing RL fad that wont be around in a year or two. It need to build interest and credibility then it will get FTA attention. Lets see if NSW RL fans support it in big numbers or not.If our own fans cant be bothered to turn up then its not going to get the medias interest.

Stallion

First Grade
As much as I would like to agree with you, reality is no it cant be. There is no international competition in Australia that is bigger than origin in terms of revenue generation. If we could get IntRL back to where it was early 90's that would do me for starters! regular tests in front of 30k+ people and on FTA.

Australia is a very insular country, probably because of its geographical isolation from the rest of the Western world so its parochialism internally is far greater than its nationalism externally. It used to be Australia v England in any sport was huge but even the cricket ashes isnt that huge anymore. Add into that the believe that Australian RL players are far superior to any other and you can see why people look down on the NZ or England RL sides even when they are super competitive like at the moment.

Dissagree. The British have improved. The players that have participated in the NRL are genuine stars. You are underestimating this rivalry and the ability of the players. The rivalry is still there but sadly not promoted and the player quality is clearly there.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
There are, but they didnt want them! They probably looked at the NRL nines and thoguht it is just another passing RL fad that wont be around in a year or two. It need to build interest and credibility then it will get FTA attention. Lets see if NSW RL fans support it in big numbers or not.If our own fans cant be bothered to turn up then its not going to get the medias interest.

If the World nines is given the same exposure and publicity as State of origin it will be a great success. These dudes have stuffed up with no Lions test in Australia so this is their out to save face I would suggest. For a start I will be attending provided ticket prices are reasonable for myself and my sports loving daughter.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the World nines is given the same exposure and publicity as State of origin it will be a great success. These dudes have stuffed up with no Lions test in Australia so this is their out to save face I would suggest. For a start I will be attending provided ticket prices are reasonable for myself and my sports loving daughter.

It won’t, nor should it until it’s has earnt its stripes. Let’s see if it’s still around in five years and drawing decent crowds, then it might start to get some hype around it. If nrl nines is anything to go by it will probably be dropped after three years!

We’ll spend around $2k attending as I want it to be a success and I believe in putting my money where my mouth is.

Stallion

First Grade
It won’t, nor should it until it’s has earnt its stripes. Let’s see if it’s still around in five years and drawing decent crowds, then it might start to get some hype around it. If nrl nines is anything to go by it will probably be dropped after three years!

We’ll spend around $2k attending as I want it to be a success and I believe in putting my money where my mouth is.

? Think you will find that this is a two yearly tournament? Death riding it already. Not very positive PR! As you are aware I'm more for the Kangaroos playing the touring Great Britain team . However this is what the administrators have gone with. Mind you I don't think this tournament should be isolated to just Pay Tv coverage. It should be a simulcast coverage at minimum. With the new stadium as the venue and decent publicity,I believe it should be a success. Like I have stated this tournament is their 'out' for not hosting the Lions in Australia. It will be intriguing to watch how the World Nines is publicised and marketed !

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Dissagree. The British have improved. The players that have participated in the NRL are genuine stars. You are underestimating this rivalry and the ability of the players. The rivalry is still there but sadly not promoted and the player quality is clearly there.

Your answer looks like you didn't even read @Perth Red 's post