What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seemingly Inexplicable Scenes...

Thought we could all pitch in & help each other in this one. What are some scenes in films you just can’t get your head around? Seem to come out of nowhere, & disappear never to be seen or tied together with anything again. Maybe our different interpretations can enlighten one another.

I was talking recently with a colleague who recommended to me Ex Machina. That sequence where the creator abruptly breaks into this tonally bizarre dance routine with one of his slaves!? At the time I was watching I thought it was wildly out of place, but trusted it would make sense at the film’s conclusion.

Sure didn’t seem to. What do people make of this scene? It’s so bizarre & senseless to me!?

One other. In Flatliners (the under-rated original by Joel Schumacher, not the flop re-make of 2017), early in the film, Kevin Bacon’s character decides to leave his Medical College & abandon his degree - so how does he leave his dormitory & the University!? The most sane way possible, of course - by stringing together bedsheets & rapelling out his dorm window to the ground below with a knapsack on his back - as though he’s an absconding 14-year-old in a Wes Anderson movie.

Weirder still is Kiefer Sutherland’s character is waiting at ground level for him, & just treats the entire thing like it’s the most normal thing in the world. LOLwut!?

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
One other. In Flatliners (the under-rated original by Joel Schumacher, not the flop re-make of 2017), early in the film, Kevin Bacon’s character decides to leave his Medical College & abandon his degree - so how does he leave his dormitory & the University!? The most sane way possible, of course - by stringing together bedsheets & rapelling out his dorm window to the ground below with a knapsack on his back - as though he’s an absconding 14-year-old in a Wes Anderson movie.

Weirder still is Kiefer Sutherland’s character is waiting at ground level for him, & just treats the entire thing like it’s the most normal thing in the world. LOLwut!?

Haha, I am actually going to go watch this great film for the first time in 20 years to have a look at this scene.
Good thread.

It’s early on, so keep your eye out for it.

There isn’t even a hint that there’s anything strange about what’s happening. LOL.

Willie Ray

Bench
Roadhouse is a pretty well known movie but no-one ever seems to mention the absolutely f**ked up ending....Swayze goes to the rich villain's mansion and proceeds to kill a bunch of people extremely violently,the cops show up when it's all over but no-one has seen anything....next scene he's off skinny dippin' with the hot doctor chick...
guess they didn't have CSI back then.

Roadhouse is a pretty well known movie but no-one ever seems to mention the absolutely f**ked up ending....Swayze goes to the rich villain's mansion and proceeds to kill a bunch of people extremely violently,the cops show up when it's all over but no-one has seen anything....next scene he's off skinny dippin' with the hot doctor chick...

It’s crazy, but consistent with most of the movie’s sheer insanity.

axl rose

Bench
when it's all over but no-one has seen anything....next scene he's off skinny dippin' with the hot doctor chick...

While Carrie watches on.

It’s crazy, but consistent with most of the movie’s sheer insanity.
I knew we could turn this into a Road House thread. These coolers are incredibly famous. The double douche owner head hunts Dalton for his random redneck bar and everyone knows him, even the waitress. Then Sam Elliott shows up and he is the Yoda of Coolers. The most hilariously entertaining movie ever made. But as for picking a scene..

giphy-1.gif

While Carrie watches on.

I knew we could turn this into a Road House thread. These coolers are incredibly famous. The double douche owner head hunts Dalton for his random redneck bar and everyone knows him, even the waitress. Then Sam Elliott shows up and he is the Yoda of Coolers. The most hilariously entertaining movie ever made. But as for picking a scene..

giphy-1.gif

How in God’s name does a bouncer - especially pre-social media - get famous at the interstate level!? LOL!

I’ve long maintained that Sam Elliott’s character turns the movie into essentially Bouncer Star Wars, with Elliott fulfilling the role of Obi Wan (or Yoda) to Patrick Swayze’s Luke.

How about the scene where they explain how the crooked barkeep Dalton got rid of is Westley’s nephew, & so he’ll keep his job...& oh by the way, we’ll try to knife you to death in this bar in front of hundreds of witnesses just on a whim, LMAO.

The GIF you posted, me & my friend used to often laugh at the inexplicable one-liner Dalton has when the bear falls on the henchman.

“You two are made for each other.”

To this day, I find it maddening to try to make sense of this statement :joy:

Wizardman

First Grade
Ben Gazzara (Brad Wesley): You like to beat people up Dalton. You wouldn't be human if you didn't!......love that line...lol.

"Road House" and "Bloodsport" provide all the great lines

Ben Gazzara (Brad Wesley): You like to beat people up Dalton. You wouldn't be human if you didn't!......love that line...lol.

"Road House" and "Bloodsport" provide all the great lines

“You are next!” The worst dub I’ve ever seen in a semi-profesionally made movie LOL. Just atrocious.

Attachments

• 6BC85952-65D6-4145-BE65-47C28B2E49D8.jpeg
    6BC85952-65D6-4145-BE65-47C28B2E49D8.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 4

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
The new Halloween, don’t want to spoil it so I’ll just leave it at the cop car scene with the shrink

WTF? Why?

azzah72

Bench
Has there ever been a director with a wider gulf between their best work & their worst than M. Night Shyamalan!?

I'm an M. Night Supporter but he makes it hard......

I appreciate that he goes for broke on unique and original movies and has made some genuinely great movies.

But then he has made some absolute shockers.

I personally love 6th Sense, Unbreakable and Signs.

I liked The visit and Split (And hopefully Glass)

I appreciated what he tried to do with the lady in the water & the village but they didn't land for me

The rest..... really not good although the happening does make me laugh in a "the room" kind of way, which I am still convinced he was trolling and did it deliberately.

But on the basis of this thread, I think there's a WTF scene in every movie from 2002 - 2010 from Mr
Shyamalan

I'm an M. Night Supporter but he makes it hard......

I appreciate that he goes for broke on unique and original movies and has made some genuinely great movies.

But then he has made some absolute shockers.

I personally love 6th Sense, Unbreakable and Signs.

I liked The visit and Split (And hopefully Glass)

I appreciated what he tried to do with the lady in the water & the village but they didn't land for me

The rest..... really not good although the happening does make me laugh in a "the room" kind of way, which I am still convinced he was trolling and did it deliberately.

But on the basis of this thread, I think there's a WTF scene in every movie from 2002 - 2010 from Mr
Shyamalan

I have a bookcase of blu-rays at home that takes pride of place as my 100 Favourite Films of All-Time - Shyamalan has three movies on those shelves. I am a huge appreciator of his best work, but the worst of his stuff is just galaxies away in quality.

Life's Good

Coach

Hahaha. What I found funny about this film(which I still enjoy to this day)is how lawless these small towns are where a single heavy and his patsies run the show(no different to Dukes of Hazzard back then or Sons of Anarchy recently etc.)with little to no help from any law agencies!

You'd think there is nowhere that is safe in the States.

*Apologies for going off topic.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Hahaha. What I found funny about this film(which I still enjoy to this day)is how lawless these small towns are where a single heavy and his patsies run the show(no different to Dukes of Hazzard back then or Sons of Anarchy recently etc.)with little to no help from any law agencies!

You'd think there is nowhere that is safe in the States.

*Apologies for going off topic.

Have you guys seen Hobo with a Shotgun? It basically takes the whole “lawless bumf**k nowhere American town run by an asshole sheriff/mayor/businessman” thing to its logical conclusion then just keeps right on going. WELCOME TO f**kTOWN!!