What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 team line up

Gardenia

Juniors
I don’t think you can sanely leave Dufty out for his speed alone. I agree with the Norman Hunt at 6 and 7 and Widdop at 1 as he’s played that position for the UK.
Why can’t we try Dufty on the wing ?

And Pierra on the other wing ( unless Rav and Pearson turn out to be guns ).

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Because of the laws of physics.

Dufty: 179cm, 83kg.

Tupou: 196cm, 105kg. 17cm, 22kg difference. (9% difference in height, 27% difference in weight)
Vunivalu: 192cm, 99kg. 13cm, 16kg difference (7% difference in height, 20% difference in weight)

Overseas dragon

Juniors

Tupou: 196cm, 105kg. 17cm, 22kg difference. (9% difference in height, 27% difference in weight)
Vunivalu: 192cm, 99kg. 13cm, 16kg difference (7% difference in height, 20% difference in weight)
tell that to the father of the morris boys he was 79kgs and also greased lightning like dufty

Crush

Coach

Bit unfair to put him up against the biggest wingers in the comp, they aren't all monsters?
How big was Nighty? 183cm, 90kg?
Or how about the other Storm winger Joss Ado Carr 183cm, 88kg.

Old Timer

Coach
Bit unfair to put him up against the biggest wingers in the comp, they aren't all monsters?
How big was Nighty? 183cm, 90kg?
Or how about the other Storm winger Joss Ado Carr 183cm, 88kg.
The comparison is entirely fair as they happen to be the wingers of the best 2 teams and they are teams you have to beat to win the comp.
If they are rag dolling Dufty at FB then it will be ten times worse on the wing as he will never be able to cling to the sideline unless in the absolute clear and will always be forced to turn inside or go to ground early.

Crush

Coach
The comparison is entirely fair as they happen to be the wingers of the best 2 teams and they are teams you have to beat to win the comp.
If they are rag dolling Dufty at FB then it will be ten times worse on the wing as he will never be able to cling to the sideline unless in the absolute clear and will always be forced to turn inside or go to ground early.
Josh Ado Carr goes pretty well?

BLM01

First Grade
I don’t think you can sanely leave Dufty out for his speed alone. I agree with the Norman Hunt at 6 and 7 and Widdop at 1 as he’s played that position for the UK.

And Pierra on the other wing ( unless Rav and Pearson turn out to be guns ).
Because
1. Not tall enough
2. Not heavy enough
3. Does not take bombs confidently enough (yet)
4. Does not run straight enough (yet)
5. Not strong enough (yet)
6. Does not believe in himself enough to run through a tackle or defenders (needs gaps and holes) - yet
7. Does not know how to go to the ground quick enough without slowing right down and getting his body in a position where they can get underneath him and throw him to the side lines or in goal.....or he would just have to fall over and voluntary tackle....not great for getting you sets started from on the line or bustling your way over the line contortioining your body to score

But he is fast enough!
Work out do positives outweigh negatives and you will have your answer. Not even worth a trial based on 2018 and he has never played there before..and at 23... big move!
Fullback is his spot with work on Items 3-6 above he can be an elite fullback but never a winger

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Because
1. Not tall enough
2. Not heavy enough
3. Does not take bombs confidently enough (yet)
4. Does not run straight enough (yet)
5. Not strong enough (yet)
6. Does not believe in himself enough to run through a tackle or defenders (needs gaps and holes) - yet
7. Does not know how to go to the ground quick enough without slowing right down and getting his body in a position where they can get underneath him and throw him to the side lines or in goal.....or he would just have to fall over and voluntary tackle....not great for getting you sets started from on the line or bustling your way over the line contortioining your body to score

But he is fast enough!
Work out do positives outweigh negatives and you will have your answer. Not even worth a trial based on 2018 and he has never played there before..and at 23... big move!
Fullback is his spot with work on Items 3-6 above he can be an elite fullback but never a winger
You know I believe his spot is in the halves - same as Field. We should have always had Field and Dufty as our ISP halves and by now their defence would be close to good enough for first grade. They both have good passing games and a turn of speed equal or better than rival halves. Both can kick short and long and if they combined on the field sometimes, would be an awesome example of speed and agility.

BLM01

First Grade
You know I believe his spot is in the halves - same as Field. We should have always had Field and Dufty as our ISP halves and by now their defence would be close to good enough for first grade. They both have good passing games and a turn of speed equal or better than rival halves. Both can kick short and long and if they combined on the field sometimes, would be an awesome example of speed and agility.
Dufty kicking both short and long?. No he cant kick long enough. Field maybe...not so sure but both would be turnstiles in front line defence.
Field has had plenty of opportunity in ISP in the front line but not real solid there so guess what happens at 1st grade.
If Dufty is to be star at NRL level and make it it has to be at fullback. He wont survive defending in the halves. Technique not there.
But YES both good passing games and speed so 2 ticks on your statement from me.

SaintPauli

Juniors
With Widdop fullback
And Norman & Hunt in the halves

I do like Dufty,

1. Try Dufty on wing initially and see how he handles big wingers and kicks from opposition. The quickest centre would need to be on hus same side for defence recovery.
OR
2. I have Dufty on bench for this year as Widdop has a year left. The wing could be Risky as he would be over powered by Vunivalu etc. Big jumping wingers out there!
Off the bench he could get the Roaming licence as the irrepresive Nathan Blacklock used to.

BLM01

First Grade
Just wake up and realize that some of the gaps in a players game are never going to be coached out of them and move on.
I agree but to be impartial here there has been 1 or 2 that have improved their game under Mary's coaching..maybe 1. AhMau...that will about wrap it up.

DragonJ

Juniors
What is the debate here about, people? We have Norman to replace Widdop. Judging by the games I have seen him play against us, great move! So WTF is the bald idiot keeping Widdop around for? Any decent, even half hard nosed coach would tell Widdop he f**ks off now or plays the year in the ISP.

Widdop was supposed to be a marquee signing 5 years ago. How have we fared in those 5 years? By telling him to f**k off, we have nothing to lose. To gain we have a huge amount of money for an outside back and if we can't snare a big name with that, a lesser name and upgrade/extension of a few of the most promising rookies coming through.

Of course it's just a dream of mine. Just as possm dreams of us signing every decent player on the market now or in the not too distant future, I dream of the team not being managed by pea-brained morons.

possm

Coach
What is the debate here about, people? We have Norman to replace Widdop. Judging by the games I have seen him play against us, great move! So WTF is the bald idiot keeping Widdop around for? Any decent, even half hard nosed coach would tell Widdop he f**ks off now or plays the year in the ISP.

Widdop was supposed to be a marquee signing 5 years ago. How have we fared in those 5 years? By telling him to f**k off, we have nothing to lose. To gain we have a huge amount of money for an outside back and if we can't snare a big name with that, a lesser name and upgrade/extension of a few of the most promising rookies coming through.

Of course it's just a dream of mine. Just as possm dreams of us signing every decent player on the market now or in the not too distant future, I dream of the team not being managed by pea-brained morons.

You maybe right however, right now I am looking forward to seeing Widdop, Norman and Hunt all on the field at the same time. Widdop at fullback for 2019 might just work. And Dufty given the time he needs to build up and upskill for first grade fullback in 2020. Dufty is also likely to get some time at fullback this season and as a bonus we have quality depth in the halves.

RufusRex

Post Whore
What is the debate here about, people? We have Norman to replace Widdop. Judging by the games I have seen him play against us, great move! So WTF is the bald idiot keeping Widdop around for?

Because Widdop is a better/more complete player than Dufty.

DragonJ

Juniors
You maybe right however, right now I am looking forward to seeing Widdop, Norman and Hunt all on the field at the same time. Widdop at fullback for 2019 might just work. And Dufty given the time he needs to build up and upskill for first grade fullback in 2020. Dufty is also likely to get some time at fullback this season and as a bonus we have quality depth in the halves.
It's not as if he is an untested 19 year-old who may become a superstar at fullback or a young winger ready to excel at fullback. He'll be one of the slowest fullbacks in the competition, not good at making metres early in the tackle count, not a good defender who is leaving at the end of the season.

He will probably be better than Dufty at taking bombs and may be better at chiming into the back-line. He won't be better at breaking a staggered defensive line.

And we have this guy on almost 1 mil a year? Please tell me this is all just a nightmare.

RufusRex

Post Whore
It's not as if he is an untested 19 year-old who may become a superstar at fullback or a young winger ready to excel at fullback. He'll be one of the slowest fullbacks in the competition, not good at making metres early in the tackle count, not a good defender who is leaving at the end of the season.

He will probably be better than Dufty at taking bombs and may be better at chiming into the back-line. He won't be better at breaking a staggered defensive line.

And we have this guy on almost 1 mil a year? Please tell me this is all just a nightmare.

Well he is leaving at the end of the season - you got one thing right in your post.

Latest posts