What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

TheFrog

Coach
Frog, if you want to keep banging on about the S set trains still operating, let me bring this to your attention....
They are 40 years old, outdated and due to be replaced very shortly. Just like the SFS should be.
Closer to 50 actually, which is pretty much the service life of a suburban train carriage. Some of the old red sets were 60 when they finally pulled them. The only things wrong with them were they looked ancient and people, especially kids, used to hang out the Stadiums seem to vary quite wildly though between 30 years and pretty much infinity, depending on the economics. The trains are being replaced reluctantly, since there isn't really a quid for Liberal party donors in it, seeings they are made in Korea these days. The Government would much sooner spend money on roads and stadiums.

Anyway, less than 4 weeks to go. I'm guessing the blue team has a lot of support around here.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I was reading the other day the new one one will only last 30 years as well.

Oh and who did pay for it? It was a bicentennial project, so the Government of the day.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/21...ithout-government-funding---or-promised-roof/

With development of the stadium funded by donations and the sale of gold memberships, former Test winger Michael Cleary - the NSW Minister for Sport from 1981 to 1988 - told NRL.com there had simply not been enough money to fulfil the ambition.

"It cost us $62 million to build it and during my time we did it as a fundraiser, there was no government money involved," Cleary said.

"That is why the stadium roof never went out far enough to protect it from the weather. We had to cut a few corners and the roof didn’t go out as far as it should."

Working with SCG Trust chairman Pat Hills, he established a fundraising program for the construction of the Sydney Football Stadium on the site of the Sydney Sports Ground after discussions between premier Neville Wran and Australian Soccer Federation representatives for a rectangular stadium.

"We sold life memberships for $2000," Cleary said. "There were probably 20,000 or 30,000 and there was a 10-year waiting list. We sold memberships to people on a waiting list.

"I brought in FootyTAB. That gave us a bit of money. Before that we had hardly had anything. Up until about 1980 there wasn’t a zac spent in NSW. The program for sporting facilities had $3 million in it. There were 100 seats in NSW so that meant there was $30,000 per electorate.

"I had an association with John Brown, who was the Federal Sports Minister, and he set up a special fund with [Prime Minister] Bob Hawke, which had $30 million to spend for international sporting facilities. That is how we built Parramatta Stadium. He gave us $15m and I put in $15m.

"We also built Campbelltown, we transferred the seating from Lidcombe Oval to Campbelltown to help Wests."

taipan

Referee
Closer to 50 actually, which is pretty much the service life of a suburban train carriage. Some of the old red sets were 60 when they finally pulled them. Stadiums seem to vary quite wildly though between 30 years and pretty much infinity, depending on the economics. The trains are being replaced reluctantly, since there isn't really a quid for Liberal party donors in it, seeings they are made in Korea these days.

Anyway, less than 4 weeks to go. I'm guessing the blue team has a lot of support around here.

The old carriages should have been turfed ages ago.Lacking air con, poor security.Why not another 10 years?

You'd make a good Green's candidate.The conspiracy narrative hard at work.

Timmah

Staff member
Closer to 50 actually, which is pretty much the service life of a suburban train carriage. Some of the old red sets were 60 when they finally pulled them. The only things wrong with them were they looked ancient and people, especially kids, used to hang out the Stadiums seem to vary quite wildly though between 30 years and pretty much infinity, depending on the economics. The trains are being replaced reluctantly, since there isn't really a quid for Liberal party donors in it, seeings they are made in Korea these days. The Government would much sooner spend money on roads and stadiums.

Melbourne's Hitachi trains (the old silver boxes) were retired in 2014 after 42 years' service.

Their predecessors, called "Harris" trains, were only around for 32 years (1956-1988).

Older trains (red rattlers in both Sydney and Melbourne) may have had longer lives but the advances in technology and safety in particular have shortened those lives.

The depth of your trains argument suggests you're clutching at straws, by the way.

TheFrog

Coach
The depth of your trains argument suggests you're clutching at straws, by the way.
You've got it all over me in Melbourne trains. But I don't need straws to clutch. There's an election in 4 weeks. If the blue team win, you get to enjoy all your new stadiums. If they don't, well who knows? A bike track would be nice.

Timmah

Staff member
You've got it all over me in Melbourne trains. But I don't need straws to clutch. There's an election in 4 weeks. If the blue team win, you get to enjoy all your new stadiums. If they don't, well who knows? A bike track would be nice.
Drop the "blue team" rubbish and have a serious discussion that isn't just about party politics. I'm a Labor voter but I don't like their position on this issue. If I lived in NSW I would certainly think twice about voting for them this time (and that's not to say I'd vote Liberal either).

As for "enjoy all your new stadiums" at this point in time it's literally just Allianz and ANZ, hardly a rich tapestry of facilities.

taipan

Referee
This is my point Einstein.

Hardly.
Because they weren't attended to Mr Marx even under the likes of:-
Carr 1995-2005
Iemma 2005-2008
Kenneally 2009-2011
Rees. 2008-2009
Yet one or two when State coffers were tight had the money to splash out for GWS at Blacktown, Spotless and the SCG.Where was the protestation?
And little infrastructure of any consequence was done .

And I am one of those swinging voters, not swayed by BS cash pork barrelling , but what they actually have done and the practicalities of what they propose, and the actual needs of the populace.The latter falls into the stadium issue.
And the State Govt has stuffed up on the light rail through the city BTW.

I repeat Allianz is an ordinary place to take your spouse or daughters regards facilities.It has safety issues.There is zero cover from the weather.
And your'e bringing up trains as an analogy.One involves seating tens of thousands to watch entertainment and the associated activities, the other to get from point A to point B .

Why didn't the Carr Govt insist the Olympic Stadium be reconfigured rectangular once the OPs were over.That was the intent.They let a code who already had an all seater OVAL stadium in Sydney ,twist their arm to keep it in its current config, and is it any wonder rectangular code supporters treat it like the plague.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
I would be fine with 33-35k seats. I think the trust would back down too provided:

1 - There was still a dedicated separate area for the memebers to sit in.
2 - It has a 3-5k advantage over BankWest so that they can claim a psychological advantage numerically.

I think you could trim 150-200 million off the cost and have an ace 33k seat stadium and then still have the funds to refurb ANZ.

TheFrog

Coach
2 - It has a 3-5k advantage over BankWest so that they can claim a psychological advantage numerically.
Wow. Flop em out. Mine's bigger. All well and good but its at taxpayers expense. Maybe this contest should wait until after the election.

adamkungl

Immortal
I would be fine with 33-35k seats. I think the trust would back down too provided:

1 - There was still a dedicated separate area for the memebers to sit in.

I think you could trim 150-200 million off the cost and have an ace 33k seat stadium and then still have the funds to refurb ANZ.

Actually getting through the bullshit political footballing is the only valid reason to actually cut the capacity.
We all know the state can afford it, it would be beneficial, 3 new stadiums at varied capacities cements Sydney as a top-tier modern sporting city.
But it's being used as a wedge issue for arseholes to buy votes and drive their own agendas.

beave

Coach
from Wezza on skyscrapercity

latest NQ pics, more support beams going in for the top tier, main stand taking shape

605-A2-B58-FF59-44-E6-9-BDA-86235-C809-A31.jpg