What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

adamkungl

Immortal
If what you are alluding to is true, then the Sharks just never learn. What you are saying could potentially lead to criminal charges being laid against those responsible.

I'd say those responsible are the slimy merkins in government who have rigged the system so that any event organiser faces going broke if they actually pay what's being asked for over the top security

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What clubs publicise as crowd figures publicly and what they tell venues, operators and emergency services are almost certainly two different things.

Tallon Smith

Juniors
Easter Weekend Estimates:
Sharks v Panthers 10k
Souths v Bulldogs 45k
Storm v Roosters 20k
Warriors v Cowboys 20k
Dragons v Sea Eagles 15k
Titans v Knights 15k
Raiders v Broncos 20k
Eels v Tigers 30k
Total: 185k
Average: 23,125

ANZAC Weekend Estimates:

Roosters v Dragons 48k (sell-out)
Storm v Warriors 25k
Bulldogs v Cowboys 10k
Panthers v Souths 16k
Tigers v Titans 7k
Broncos v Sharks 35k
Sea Eagles v Raiders 15k
Knights v Eels 27k
Total: 183k
Average: 22,875

Stallion

First Grade
Easter Weekend Estimates:
Sharks v Panthers 10k
Souths v Bulldogs 45k
Storm v Roosters 20k
Warriors v Cowboys 20k
Dragons v Sea Eagles 15k
Titans v Knights 15k
Raiders v Broncos 20k
Eels v Tigers 30k
Total: 185k
Average: 23,125

ANZAC Weekend Estimates:

Roosters v Dragons 48k (sell-out)
Storm v Warriors 25k
Bulldogs v Cowboys 10k
Panthers v Souths 16k
Tigers v Titans 7k
Broncos v Sharks 35k
Sea Eagles v Raiders 15k
Knights v Eels 27k
Total: 183k
Average: 22,875

Sharks v Panthers 12000
Souths v Bulldogs 42000
Storm v Roosters 25000
Warriors v Cowboys 16000
Dragons v Manly 18000
Titans v Knights 12000
Raiders v Broncos 20000
Eels v Tigers 29500

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Under reporting or over, in your opinion ?
Public figures, I'd say overreporting, but it's not as simple as that.

Clubs would receive the reports from the ticketing agency on entries at each gate and an overall figure for scan-ins, but that won't necessarily cover everyone who enters the ground at every single venue (although I imagine it's more accurate than say 5-10 years ago).

Not totally sure which clubs count things like HT performers, club support staff etc in their figures either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Under reporting or over, in your opinion ?

Still makes no sense when you consider crowd variability can be anywhere from 8k to 18k depending on opponent, form, weather and KO time. How does them reporting 13,400 this weekend instead of 15k mean next game they can claim it will be 13,400 and pay less even though it may be a lot more, or a lot less? Surely you have to hire to venue capacity or there abouts, hence the reason sometimes they close stands to reduce capacity so they can pay less.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Social media is not the " be all and end all "for marketing. You will find that people only looking for such will revert to social media. The mainstream general public like to be told via general advertising which does not exclude anyone. It's open to all. For instance, I do not use Facebook etc due to my profession . General advertising caters to the public at large not just an isolated group as seen with social media.

You are in for a shock if you think that, that is true. The fact is that it is the quickest and most cost effective way to get a message out (like cheap tickets that you want to shift quickly) and isn't restricted to people on mail-out lists - social media ads are targeted to individuals that search related topics on their phone such as rugby league, sports tickets, what's on in Brisbane etc.

beave

Coach
on under reporting. NQ were notorious for a few years of accidentally under reporting for the first 3-4 games of the season because the season tickets weren’t registering on the turnstiles. we would just get waved through when trying to scan a few times and the lights wouldn’t go off so a lot of us were never counted at 3 of the 4 gates.

I can usually guess within about 1000 the crowds at 1300’s due purely to the amount of games I’ve attended there the last 25 years and not through any intelligence or inside goss. Discounting other people’s learned crowd figure opinion at other grounds is thwart with danger imo, you’ll find they are normally more on the money than you’d think.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
You are in for a shock if you think that, that is true. The fact is that it is the quickest and most cost effective way to get a message out (like cheap tickets that you want to shift quickly) and isn't restricted to people on mail-out lists - social media ads are targeted to individuals that search related topics on their phone such as rugby league, sports tickets, what's on in Brisbane etc.

Nope . I've seen it at work at local league level. My local club embarked on a massive social.media campaign for a recent grandfinal . General public advertising was minimal. The crowd was embarassingly low. (5500) The same clubs played in front of 16000 in 1987. Must admit the venue was innapropriate for local footy though.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
In theory, and legally, you're probably right, as ultimate the weight of the government and nsw police will crush them.

But really? Let's look at how this actually works

NSW Police can decide any number is "necessary" and the event operator is forced to pay their costs or be shut down. Obviously silly example (for now), but it's equivalent of the police rocking up to your 50th birthday party in your backyard, saying you need 4 police for the evening, and you have to pay $20,000 for their time or you'll be shut down.
In recent times, NSWPol have been massively increasing the required security and costs for events, well above and beyond what our neighbouring states are doing, despite crime trending downards and alcohol being so obscenely overpriced at most events that you couldn't get properly pissed if you were on a mission.

Is it suddenly less safe to go to a sporting event or concert than it was 5 years ago? Why does a football game in NSW require multiple times more security than one in QLD? Look up the recent article on Bluesfest threatening to jump states because the NSW Government and Police slogged them with an unprecedented enormous bill for police security despite no history of problems.

NSW Police are running a protection racket and I don't blame anyone who tries to undercut them.
But its not the equivalent of the me holding my 50th, it is more like a licenced venue under reporting numbers to skimp of security! The issue is if there is a major incident, such as an act of terrorism and the club is found out to have fudged figure to have more people in the venue than could be catered for, then the club will disappear and the people responsible will go to jail!

Last edited:

moffla

Bench
spewing i miss Friday - will be away over Easter. Hopefully that means plenty of Roosters fans will make the trek through?
Crowd will be 21k I reckon

Stallion

First Grade

The key word is search. General advertising doesn't require a searcher. It is put in front of an unaware person. An extremely important factor in enticing new and neutral fans to a game or code.

Last edited:

Sharkman05

Juniors
Whilst a good crowd for a regional game that sunny coast game has been the Perth game for the last few years and has drawn crowds of around 20k a number of times. Moving it there will see a drop in crowd avg accordingly.
Yes but Sunshine Coast residents actually like footy, great decision to have the game there.
Hopefully they get more games, a better stadium and maybe even a team one day after all it’s the 11th biggest city in Australia and growing rapidly and it’s footy heartland.

Hopefully another NRL team will see the opportunities on the Coast, they had over 10k for a trial game, the support is there.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I used to love it when the broncos would announce the crowd with the amount of tickets sold.

I remember there was a roosters game that was announced as 33,300 and then they said 38,000 tickets had been sold so if you can’t come give the tickets to a mate.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes but Sunshine Coast residents actually like footy, great decision to have the game there.
Hopefully they get more games, a better stadium and maybe even a team one day after all it’s the 11th biggest city in Australia and growing rapidly and it’s footy heartland.

Hopefully another NRL team will see the opportunities on the Coast, they had over 10k for a trial game, the support is there.

As opposed to 20k perth fans who dont like the game but paid $45 to go anyway?