What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Shark62

Juniors
How many games at Kogarah have you been to? What are your terms of reference? Why are you so blindly guided by officialdom? Was your dad a police officer?

No. That was not 13k. Put your pro-authoritarian view point aside for a moment. Sometimes "the man" does not know best.
Okay I’m wrong and the club is lying. Feel better?

Springs09

Juniors
Lol yeah dragons are lying about crowds to make themselves and their fans look worse for some reason.

It’s funny how many people think they can look at a bunch of people in a stadium and say ‘oh that’s definitely 2000 more than what they said, I know I’ve been there’

Shark62

Juniors
Lol yeah dragons are lying about crowds to make themselves and their fans look worse for some reason.

It’s funny how many people think they can look at a bunch of people in a stadium and say ‘oh that’s definitely 2000 more than what they said, I know I’ve been there’
The whole concept of a club deliberately under calling their popularity in a competitive market denies any form of logic.

mave

Coach
The whole concept of a club deliberately under calling their popularity in a competitive market denies any form of logic.

Well it doesn't, with potential reasons stated previously.

I would lay my left nut that if "x" crowd average became a solid criteria to avoid forced relocation, for example, we would see plenty of crowd numbers increase, as if by magic.

mave

Coach

Look worse to who ?
The mugs on an internet RL forum ?
The Daily Tele ?

The NRL sure as sht dont care about crowd numbers.

Shark62

Juniors

I would lay my left nut that if "x" crowd average became a solid criteria to avoid forced relocation, for example, we would see plenty of crowd numbers increase, as if by magic.
We’ll just have to disagree.
The legal implications of lying about crowds to save money on security and safety measures for attendees must be a risk these clubs are prepared to take if you are correct.
If that’s true then they are bloody idiots.

Springs09

Juniors
Look worse to who ?
The mugs on an internet RL forum ?
The Daily Tele ?

The NRL sure as sht dont care about crowd numbers.

To anyone. 10k looks worse than 20k. If it didn’t no one would ever rave about big crowds or talk about crowds in general.

unforgiven

Bench
s this a cost saving measure for council fees, insurance, security and police numbers, etc ?
I highly doubt that this would happen, if there was any sort of major incident at the ground it would be the death of the club that committed such an act. Imagine if something happened that caused the death of a person or a group of people and it was later found out that the club has lied about how many people were there to save money. The fines alone would bankrupt the club. What you are suggesting is fantasy!

Valheru

Coach

Surely a body like the NRL could independently engage the stadiums to determine accurate figures if this was the case?

Warriors Fever

Juniors
I don’t buy the whole underreporting stuff, there’s no real reason to. At some point the nrl are going to look at crowds and other things when discussing relocation or folding, so a club would not want to report lower crowds. For me it looked more than 13k but I guess when the camera switched to the grandstand side there were a lot of empty seats at the ends. Same with brookie last Saturday. I think Dragons fans should be pretty disappointed in that attendance against one of their closest rivals and should reassess how often they play games at Kogarah as the fans clearly aren’t going in big numbers.

adamkungl

Immortal
With the prohibition era licencing police and restrictions we have in Sydney now it honestly wouldn't surprise me if clubs are deliberately under-counting to save on security costs.
Take a look at the stories around music festivals lately. The cops can charge whatever they like for security, determined by arbitrary numbers and conditions that they impose.

Hypethetically if the clubs under-report numbers, they save money on security, they still get the ticket sales, and who's gonna prove them wrong?

The only reason they may not be, I'm not sure how they'd go about it in a way that easily isn't audited should Gladys' gestapo become interested. Ticket sales and gate entries would be tracked at least semi-independently.

Vee

First Grade
I highly doubt that this would happen, if there was any sort of major incident at the ground it would be the death of the club that committed such an act. Imagine if something happened that caused the death of a person or a group of people and it was later found out that the club has lied about how many people were there to save money. The fines alone would bankrupt the club. What you are suggesting is fantasy!
And yet, clubs do similar shite every year - peptides, minutes of discussion about cap rorting, self-reporting breach that reveals suspended coach and club discussing recruitment etc.

Stallion

First Grade
The pricing deal was all over social media.

Social media is not the " be all and end all "for marketing. You will find that people only looking for such will revert to social media. The mainstream general public like to be told via general advertising which does not exclude anyone. It's open to all. For instance, I do not use Facebook etc due to my profession . General advertising caters to the public at large not just an isolated group as seen with social media.

greenBV4

Bench
Social media is not the " be all and end all "for marketing. You will find that people only looking for such will revert to social media. The mainstream general public like to be told via general advertising which does not exclude anyone. It's open to all. For instance, I do not use Facebook etc due to my profession . General advertising caters to the public at large not just an isolated group as seen with social media.

In this day and age what is "general advertising"?
Not many people read the paper anymore, and tv ads are expensive.
Radio is probably still a good one, but then lots of people just play songs of their phones in the car now

Billboards? Flyers? Door knocking?
If you sign up for them or are a member every club should be sending emails

Social media "isn't the be all and end all" but these days it probably is the most important/viable

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have said for a long time that Brookvale in particular has under reported crowds, when compared to previously posted crowds over the years.
Now seemingly Kogarah as well.

Is this a cost saving measure for council fees, insurance, security and police numbers, etc ?

It's basically fraud if they are. A big accusation against some NRL clubs if you are claiming they are not reporting genuine crowd numbers, if anything I could see them over inflating to look better but cant see much value in under reporting.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With the prohibition era licencing police and restrictions we have in Sydney now it honestly wouldn't surprise me if clubs are deliberately under-counting to save on security costs.
Take a look at the stories around music festivals lately. The cops can charge whatever they like for security, determined by arbitrary numbers and conditions that they impose.

Hypethetically if the clubs under-report numbers, they save money on security, they still get the ticket sales, and who's gonna prove them wrong?

The only reason they may not be, I'm not sure how they'd go about it in a way that easily isn't audited should Gladys' gestapo become interested. Ticket sales and gate entries would be tracked at least semi-independently.

Wouldnt make sense though as those things have to be put in place BEFORE the game, not after so reporting a crowd as lower after a game isnt going to help with those costs! I suspect unless you decide to close part of the stadium off and guarantee a lower max crowd level than capacity, all of these things are based on capacity numbers just in case everyone turns up?

I can tell you that clubs absolutely under-report crowds- for this reason.