What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam - Remembering the great people of our great game.

View attachment 29071

Lance Thompson.
A Dragon through & through but you would have been hard pressed to find a Dragon fan unhappy with any success he had at the Sharks.
He never dogged it & because of that he was universally admired.

I'm a Wests fan and I was horribly saddened to hear about Thommo.

He left 101% on the field every match. He was a bloke you just could not hate and wished you had at your club.

Arthur Beetson

A true inspiration to countless people. Immortal, pioneer of Origin, one of the most skilful ball playing forwards ever, the first aboriginal captain to lead Australia in any sport and an awesome bloke

RIP can’t believe it’s been 8 years this year

View attachment 29063

John Peard has some ripper tales about Artie in his autobiography. One time they were driving out to a league function out bush (this was after they'd both retired). Whilst talking Peard asked him "Arthur, if the world was going to end in 30 minutes, what would you do?" To which Arthur said "Hmm, John, I'd make love to the first thing that moved. What would you do?" Peard replied "Arthur, I'd sit very still for the next 30 minutes".

Mr Spock!

Referee
John Peard has some ripper tales about Artie in his autobiography. One time they were driving out to a league function out bush (this was after they'd both retired). Whilst talking Peard asked him "Arthur, if the world was going to end in 30 minutes, what would you do?" To which Arthur said "Hmm, John, I'd make love to the first thing that moved. What would you do?" Peard replied "Arthur, I'd sit very still for the next 30 minutes".
John Peard is a funny guy.

Graham Murray is another one. Seemed like such a super genuine fella.

I don't think I've heard a bad word said about him at any club he was at. May not have always had the best success on the field with his teams as a coach, but certainly knew how to bring his playing group together on the whole. Arthur Beetson said that during his time as Recruitment Manager at the Roosters, Graham was the only one who worked closely with him in terms of what he wanted.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Anyone mentioned Sludge Rogers?

His life was full of tragedy.

Amazing how you miss this guys even though they didn't play for my club.

Headless Chook

Juniors
Arthur Beetson

A true inspiration to countless people. Immortal, pioneer of Origin, one of the most skilful ball playing forwards ever, the first aboriginal captain to lead Australia in any sport and an awesome bloke

RIP can’t believe it’s been 8 years this year

View attachment 29063
The great man was the sole reason I started playing League back in the early 70’s as a 7 year old. I cried like a baby when I heard of his passing. He meant a lot to me and still does. I even named my dog Beetson in his honour.

Great thread too.

Geoff Selby - taken way too soon.
An ever reliable player who could hold his head high in an era when the Dragons were junk, post the 85 Grand Final. The grief is still raw at the mention of his name & I’m glad the Dragons hand out an annual award in his honour.

I have a vague recollection of this. Was it a car accident that took his life?

I remember going to Penrith Park to watch the Roosters play Penrith on the Sunday, left shaking my head when Craig Salvatori had a brain snap and head butted a Penrith player while he was in possession of the ball, he was sent off and the whole complexion of the game changed, was so p*ssed off after that game but then the shock news the next morning of Ben Alexander’s death made everything pale into comparison.

I think Ben kicked the winning field goal in that game.

He would’ve been a great successor to Royce Simmons.

A big part of Penrith died the day Ben passed away.

RIP Ben :pray:

horrie hastings

First Grade
I think Ben kicked the winning field goal in that game.

He would’ve been a great successor to Royce Simmons.

A big part of Penrith died the day Ben passed away.

RIP Ben :pray:

I don't recall Ben playing firsts that day, think he played in reserves, mostly remember Easts leading 10-8 after Jeff Orford scored a brilliant try then from the kick off Craig Salvotori was in possession of the ball and he head butted a Penrith player and was sent off, Easts were rudderless after that and Penrith won 23-10 but yes that all paled into insignificance when the news of Bens death broke not long after.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Ron Saddler, became the first indigenous player to captain NSW. I can remember when I was very young and my father used to take me the football in the 60s and even though I wasn't interested in it at time I can remember a game at the Sports Ground where a player broke clear[ think it was a South player] and this Roosters player just came from nowhere and nailed him in a perfect text book tackle and drove him straight across the side line, that was Ron Saddler and he became a favourite of mine after that. He passed away after a long battle with dementia in 2016.