What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

possm

Coach
Graham’s tired, he’s at the tail end of his career (mid 30’s) and he’s been playing a lot of minutes. McGregor has not been using the bench effectively and should be giving him ~ 2 x 20-25 minute stints per game. He’s still a good player if used effectively.

We have a couple of good young props - Kerr and Timm - who would improve over the rest of this season playing first grade under a new top grade coach. Let go players like Latimore, Allgood, Aitken, Graham, Dufty and Maranta. It may be we have to wait until end of season to let many of these players go however,

if Dufty, Aitken and Graham are dropped to reserve grade, there is a big chance they will ask for a release - Graham to ESL, maybe even Dufty and Aitken to ESL as well.

Belta

Juniors
I think you are on the money. In my opinion the season is over and we won't be able to salvage some pride unless there is a shake-up. Despite what he says, Mary won't make any significant changes however I hope he does the following for the game against the sharks next week:

Backs
1. Lomax - let's test his last line defence, positional play, high ball and kick returns. Might just be the fullback we need
2. Pereira - although I wish we had Saab available
3. Maranta - we have such great depth
4. Lafai - because there is no one else to replace him with
5. Pearson - it is his time to shine
6. Field - our forwards need to dominate
7. Hunt - our forwards need to dominate

Forwards
8. Timm - his time to shine
9. Robson - his time to shine
10. Vaughan - played well today
11. Leilua - played well today
12. Sims - seems to be playing injured
13. McInnes - in for his defence in the middle

Bench
14. Kerr - went ok today
15. K Sims - will be fit for games against the Sharks
16. Lawrie/Host - it will be a toss up
17. Frizell - seems to be playing injured

Dropped
Graham
Dufty
Aitken
Ravalawa
Host/Host

Although not fully against a huge reshuffle like the side above, I have more concerns for the marquee players who IMO were the most at fault on the weekend. Frizell, Lawrie and Simms all made poor misreads in defence which directly lead to 3 tries in the first half. A poor kicking game from Hunt and shit one sided ref particularly in early stages is what set up our disaster. Not sure if it’s fatigue, lack of fitness or injuries but unless those guys get their individual performances on track it won’t matter who you bring in. You simply can’t let tries like that in and expect to compete.
Can’t blame Latimore on this result.
It also may backfire if you bring in too many CC players all at once. Evidence of this was Kerr (who came out really hard) but seemed to not pace himself and was completely gassed in very short space of time. There is no doubting we need more grunt from our forwards, just not sure where that comes from. (Personally I’d vote to run with Timm/Kerr/Ford and Robson for extended periods and given plenty of time and leeway)

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons star James Graham set to break 400-game mark
AAP
May 22, 2019 7:02am
He will next month notch up his 400th game of first-grade rugby league in a milestone worthy of celebration and reverence.

But his name is James Graham, not Cameron Smith.

Plenty has been made of the fact that Melbourne skipper Smith will later this season become the first player to bring up 400 NRL games.

af896831229264e5fe6c87f16fa93ec3

James Graham is set to play 400 first grade games.

But it’s mostly escaped attention that dogged St George-Illawarra’s Graham will likely beat Smith to the 400-game mark by a fortnight.

similars

Against Cronulla on Sunday, the 33-year-old will run out for his 172nd NRL game.

The dogged British prop came to Australia via Canterbury in 2012 after beginning his career at St Helens, where he had 225 English Super League and Challenge Cup caps.

Barring injury or suspension, he will bring up his 400th game at Wollongong’s WIN Stadium against North Queensland in round 15, two weeks before Smith cracks the illustrious mark.

Told he was set to beat Smith to the 400 club, in typical Graham fashion, he played down the achievement.

“I’m not in a race with anyone,” he told AAP.

80dc91f3bc99771afc8c0ad2497fd006

Cameron Smith is set to hit 400 NRL games this year. Picture: Alix Sweeney
Of more pressing concern for Graham is breaking the Dragons’ four-game losing streak which has seen them tumble to 12th.

“The frustrating thing from our perspective is we know we’re better, we know we’re capable of more,” Graham said.

“We’ve showed that. If we were deadbeats and no hopers we’d just accept it and move on and play next week and not really care.

“We are hurting and we want to do something about it.”

Graham is off contract at the end of next year and is still highly respected by his teammates.

ad3ab8f1e0fee0fe28088680e5644ecd

James Graham is one of the game’s great leaders.
Dragons flyer Matt Dufty said Graham had earned enough respect that he always listened to what he had to say and his work ethic and passion had rubbed off on him.

“I look up to James, he’s been everywhere and done everything,” Dufty said.

“If he says something, I’ll listen.

“It is a bit like big brother/little brother. He gets angry at me for stuff when he knows I can be better. I listen because that’s just the respect I have for him.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...k=93adc348d6ad44229a32bb277d3a1cc6-1558531810

getsmarty

Immortal
Former St Helens prop James Graham to hit appearance milestone
image.jpg

James Graham
John Yates
Email
Published: 10:51 Wednesday 22 May 2019
Share this article
Few Rugby League players have made as big an impact Down Under as former Saints' ace James Graham.

It was a calculated gamble when the 33-year-old Maghull-born prop opted to forgo the chance to play in St Helens' new multi-million pound state-of-the-art stadium and take on a new and daunting challenge.

Graham, who had come through the Knowsley Road junior ranks, was only in his mid-twenties when he signed for Canterbury Bulldogs.

But he took what at the time was a massive and life-changing decision and has never looked back since, becoming a cult figure during his time in the NRL and a hero to thousands of Australian fans who took him to their hearts from day one.

Now he is on the threshold of making his 400th domestic career appearance in the colours of his latest club, St George Illawarra Dragons - 225 of which were totted up as a St Helens player between 2003 and 2011 and the remainder in Oz.

Saints' skipper James Roby who, like Graham started his rise to the top at Blackbrook ARLC, said: ''Jammer has had a fantastic career and I loved playing along side him at Saints.''

Barring injury or suspension, he will bring up his 400th game at Wollongong’s WIN Stadium against North Queensland in round 15, pipping Melbourne's Cameron Smith to that milestone.

Told he was set to beat Smith to the 400 club, in typical Graham fashion, he played down the achievement.

“I’m not in a race with anyone,” he said

Of more pressing concern for Graham is breaking the Dragons’ recent poor spell of form.

The England and Great Britain international said: “The frustrating thing from our perspective is we know we’re better, we know we’re capable of more,”

“We’ve showed that. If we were deadbeats and no-hopers we’d just accept it and move on and play next week and not really care.

“We are hurting and we want to do something about it.”

Graham is off contract at the end of next year and is still highly respected by his teammates.

Dragons' flyer Matt Dufty said Jammer had earned enough respect that he always listened to what he had to say and his work ethic and passion had rubbed off on him.

“I look up to James, he’s been everywhere and done everything,” Dufty said.

“If he says something, I’ll listen. It is a bit like big brother/little brother. He gets angry at me for stuff when he knows I can be better. I listen because that’s just the respect I have for him.”

https://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/...-graham-to-hit-appearance-milestone-1-9782233

Pro Dragons

Juniors
It is obvious losing JDB has thrown a huge spanner in the works for this season and McGregor not knowing how to use the bench is making life tough for Graham. If the rumours are true that Merrin is set to return and he comes with something to prove it will allow Graham to play less minutes which will see his form improve. JDB is a massive loss.

getsmarty

Immortal
Ironman Graham deserves a spell
Dragons Den
r0_0_3471_3508_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

James Graham is facing an unfamiliar long lay-off. Picture: NRL Photos

JAMES Graham is a notable name on the Dragons current injury list, but Jeremy Latimore says there could be a silver lining to his absence - if the Dragons can stay in the finals frame over the next month.

Graham suffered a broken leg in his side's last-start loss to Cronulla and is facing the longest stint on the sideline due to injury in more than 450 top-flight games.

"He's a maniac that guy," Latimore said.

"One of the boys said the other day that this is the first time he'll miss more than three games since he's been playing top grade rugby league.

"It goes right back to St Helens in 2003 so it's obviously going to be tough for Jammer but it gives him a chance to freshen up and have a watch from the sideline.

"There's a lot of footy to be played while he's out but if we can string some wins together through this period, he comes back with enthusiasm and energy and we can hopefully look back at it as a good thing."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6204421/ironman-graham-deserves-a-spell/?cs=3713

rednwhites

Juniors
Graham was good for us when he was fired up and stepping up as a leader. Tries pretty hard now but has little to no impact. He's lost much of his passion. Happy for him to walk at end of the year.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Graham has copped a few rattles to the head, and pushing past the dry tank level. A few weeks off will do him wonders...
Let’s hope the team keeps in contention until he is back.

Blood the young guys and let’s see!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
A few years ago all the talk was that props improve with age, but I’m wondering if that was just a case of Webke and Petro being freaks..

The league has plenty of older props running round who used to be good but now feel a bit slower..

Or perhaps the game is getting faster and the traditional “prop” physique is changing to be more of a young bull’s role?

hazzbeen

Bench
A few years ago all the talk was that props improve with age, but I’m wondering if that was just a case of Webke and Petro being freaks..

The league has plenty of older props running round who used to be good but now feel a bit slower..

Or perhaps the game is getting faster and the traditional “prop” physique is changing to be more of a young bull’s role?
Agree and the way they play Dragons Footy under Mary .... The Power Game is enough to burn out even the younger Guy's never mind Graham .....

getsmarty

Immortal
Why Phil Gould loved James Graham's post-match interview after Dragons loss

Written By Adam Lucius
@Lush178
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
Getty Images

James Graham's post-match interview after St George Illawarra's loss to Penrith is being held up as example of how filthy players should feel after a loss.

There were no high-fiving fans, joking with the opposition or posing for selfies from the Dragons hard man.

Graham looked like he had swallowed a wasp as he struggled to raise a response to Darren Lockyer's questions.

The word 'filthy' doesn't do his mood justice.

Phil Gould was happy to see Graham's reaction, declaring that's the sort of passion supporters want to see from a beaten side rather than smiles and hugs.

"I know a lot of fans struggle with that and so do I. It wouldn't have happened back in my day," Gould told Macquarie Sports Radio.

"You lost the game and you stormed off the field (because) you were in a huff and didn't want to talk to the opposition."

Gould blames social media for that loss of pain after a defeat.

He said: "There was an intense rivalry once but the advent of social media means players from rival clubs are communicating all the time.

"They're friends with a common cause. They are all professional athletes and they are looking after each other.

"Whilst they compete hard against each other on the field, there's actually a mutual admiration society amongst them.

"For the modern-day footballer, that's might be the way they feel about it but fans want to see real disappointment and heart-break.

"To be cuddling the opposition players doesn't sit well with them.

"I don't think the players get it sometimes, but that's the modern-day player, that's the modern-day youth.

"They think 'okay, that result's done, we did our best, let's move on."

Gould has no problems with players acknowledging each other but urged them to 'do it away from fans and cameras'.

"Go and salute your fans, thank them for cheering for you, apologise for the loss and get back in the dressing-room," Gus said.

"That's the way I'd like to see it happen."

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...-after-dragons-loss/5jyhk4dbf5g816yib2uascejm

Latest posts