What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Yes

The prerequisite had been set as a team (I believe Canterbury) had done something similar a few years earlier. Blocker was actually over in England with the team when the NSWRL blocked the move for some reason. Headquarters have always had their favourites...
Yes, I think poor old Blocker spent the '88 Grand Final stuck in England. Those were the Quayle & Arthurson days and everyone knew who they were looking after.

Ummm...In 1988 Tigers & Panthers finished equal 3rd with Canberra and Manly which put Balmain 6th. There was a playoff midweek between Balmain & Penrith to see who would be 5th and make the semis. Balmain won 28-8 and ( I think) were the first and only team to make the GF from a midweek play off. Would have won it as well if it wasnt for Terry Lambs elbow.
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nswrl-1988/playoff/balmain-vs-penrith/summary.html

My info was merley settling that the 33-6 game was in 1989 and not 1988 as some had claimed. Furthermore, the 1988 game was 2 weeks before the semi-finals, which I said. I know how the regular season finished with a mid-week playoff required, let alone how the finals played out, as I watched just about ever game. I was 18 at the time thanks.

Last edited:

BadnMean

Juniors
Yeah it's hard to believe that Vaucluse, Coogee & Randwick aren't a RL heartland producing tough young kids with families getting them into league.

SBD82

Coach
You'd think a power club like Chooks could find their own juniours. Cronulla set up terrific pathways and these grubs pounce.

While I think there’s some merit in what you say and the sharks have been punching above their weight with their junior development, that’s a hard case to argue when he was moved on because of Johnson.

Reactions: Vee

AJB1102

First Grade
While I think there’s some merit in what you say and the sharks have been punching above their weight with their junior development, that’s a hard case to argue when he was moved on because of Johnson.

Pretty sure his dad signed Johnson and Flanagan Jr re-signed after that.