What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Suitman

Post Whore
I see it as a place to let off steam, relate to other Eels supporters and have some fun. It's no coincidence that other subjects are going to come to the fore when the Eels are coming off a win with nothing for everyone to bitch about, on top of a bye round where NSW flogged QLD as well. The killer is that what's typed on a forum isn't the same as discussing it down at the pub in person. Hence, things can be construed differently than intended.

I agree with all of this.

strider

Post Whore
I see it as a place to let off steam, relate to other Eels supporters and have some fun. It's no coincidence that other subjects are going to come to the fore when the Eels are coming off a win with nothing for everyone to bitch about, on top of a bye round where NSW flogged QLD as well. The killer is that what's typed on a forum isn't the same as discussing it down at the pub in person. Hence, things can be construed differently than intended.
exactly ... at the pub, a couple of face slaps and its all over, loser buys beers

Eelogical

Referee
So, I drove from Penrif to the northern suburbs of Brissy today. Hit the road at 4:30am down the M4 to spaghetti junction onto the M7, Penno Hills Rd turn-off, etc. Too much roadwork for my liking though nobody else gave a shit about the speed zones. The road north out of Sydney to the QLD border is a work in progress but will be a fine enough link once completed. The traffic lights at the end of the M1 at Beresfield are a welcome improvement but are a band-aid solution until the by-pass to Heatherbrae goes through.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Geez, I've been away for an hour or two and just saw that this place has just imploded. Again.

It's such a shame.

This forum, many years ago, used to be a good place to discuss Eels stuff on-line.
It was fun. Generally, most contributors were polite to each other.
It was a decent place for all Eels discussion.

We still have so many good posters here. We really do. Honest and genuine people who contribute with good humour and sincere comments.
But seriously, the rest of you immature f**kers with your childish insults belong in the Fight Club.
It's such a shame.
Here comes the f**ken sanctimony. You carried on like such a bitch with bartman you even made me feel sorry for the poor merkin.

No high horses for you Suity

Eelogical

Referee
Here comes the f**ken sanctimony. You carried on like such a bitch with bartman you even made me feel sorry for the poor merkin.

No high horses for you Suity
I'm not even going to search for that battle. Pou, I like a lot of your posts, you may be right or you may be wrong, but there comes a point that when the banter on here becomes more than banter it serves no good purpose to anybody at the end of the day. I like everyone on here.......no point in pushing the envelope. Nothing wrong with differing opinions. Civility over hostility.

But to selectively cite all sorts of parts of the OT if it suits one's purposes?

Correct - that should not be on. I mean, using the OT for "here's a good moral lesson" would be ok, but not "the Bible says to do this and not do that".

What a shock that churches pick and choose what they want to suit their purposes, though, right? An utter shock, I tells you...

Gronk

Staff member
Turns out that banning CFCs was right and the hole in the ozone layer has repaired itself.
Who’d have thunk that science might have been right. Of course climate change is still a hoax. :upside_down:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Would have been even better if it wasn't for those Chinese f**kers trying to rat f**k us.

Chinese industrial areas identified as a major source of illegal ozone-depleting CFC gas

A puzzling burst of a banned ozone-depleting gas has been tracked to industrial areas in northeastern mainland China.

According to a study published today in Nature, emissions from eastern China of the chlorofluorocarbon CFC-11 have been increasing by 7,000 tonnes a year since 2013.

The findings are based on air monitoring stations in South Korea and Japan, which were able to pick up tell-tale plumes of the gas as they wafted across the sea from China.

CFC-11 is used in polyurethane foams that insulate buildings and refrigerators, but its production was supposed to have been phased out by 2010 under the Montreal Protocol. The gas also contributes to global warming.

Key points

• Ozone-depleting CFCs are banned but evidence last year showed many tonnes of CFC-11 were still being produced
  • Air monitoring stations in Japan and Korea show evidence China is a major source of the pollution
  • Continued CFC production contravenes international agreement and if it is not stopped it could delay repair of the ozone hole for decades
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-05-23/mystery-ozone-depleting-gas-tracked-to-china/11137546

Avenger

Immortal
Turns out that banning CFCs was right and the hole in the ozone layer has repaired itself.
Who’d have thunk that science might have been right. Of course climate change is still a hoax. :upside_down:

As soon as countries like China, India and the USA do something significant that is when we should start. We are not even a pimple on the world’s arse and countries similar to us in population will have virtually zero impact if those countries keep burning fossil fuels.

Why do you think the US keep creating these wars around the world? Because they care about democracy and wish to free countries? Give me a f**king break. They do it so they can steal their resources which they require for their growing economy.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
As soon as countries like China, India and the USA do something significant that is when we should start. We are not even a pimple on the world’s arse and countries similar to us in population will have virtually zero impact if those countries keep burning fossil fuels.

Why do you think the US keep creating these wars around the world? Because they care about democracy and wish to free countries? Give me a f**king break. They do it so they can steal their resources which they require for their growing economy.

and without countries like us putting pressure on those big polluters, how will they ever get the message to start doing something ?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'm not even going to search for that battle.
*battles

There were a lot and they were good for 2-3 a week at times. It regularly got very bitchy.

It agree with Suity's sentiments but coming from him it probably appeared hypocritical to a lot of people. He has been as rude as anyone on here.

He is still the only person to have hounded me so much (and in a mean spirited way as well) that I felt I needed a break for a while as it had lost its fun.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
and without countries like us putting pressure on those big polluters, how will they ever get the message to start doing something ?
What pressure do you think we can realistically exert? Zero.

The best thing we can do is develop new technologies that help large scale transition and ensure that they can be deployed cheaply in other countries.

While we are doing that, the second best thing we can do is supply the world with the cleanest sources of coal which can be found in the Bowen Basin.

Gronk

Staff member

It all comes down to values. There is 70% of Australians who support meaningful action on climate change.

Your values are that you will conform only when others fall into line. I am not inside your head, but would predict that you are a skeptic and find no compelling reason to support a scientific principle that you are struggling to accept.

China and India will certainly be the last to fall into place, however their excuse is that they are largely a third world country or in China's case have emerging middle class. In both cases however they have a population base of billions where the vast majority are still poor. The USA were on board and a primary driver until recently, when a climate change denier took charge.

My personal opinion of climate change deniers is that they don't really question the science. It's that they have assessed the personal cost and the consequences of inaction. Their conclusion is that provided that they will be fine, what happens to the rest of the world is of little importance to them.