What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 2019

Springs09

Juniors
The headlines today have Pearce as a Hero in waiting or setting him up for a fairy tale redemption. I doubt that will be the case.
I think bringing him back is a big mistake. Maloney doesn't need the distraction, Pearce will just get in the way. Qld will see him as the weak spot and go after him.

Of course they are, even though it makes no sense. The majority of the QLD team he used to lose to are no longer playing, plus it's the worst QLD side we've seen for some time that lost their last game 38-6. Plus he pulled out of the last two games with 'injury'. It would be a redemption story if we were down and out and he came back and won us the series, even if he played the whole series and won. This is coming back to claim glory when most of the hard work has already been done.

Even if he does f**k all all game while Tedesco scores three tries and sets up two more, it will be the fairy tale redemption of Mitchell the hero.

betcats

Referee
Teddy has really owned the last two series on a level not a lot players have ever done across multiple series. Few qlders have done so recently in that streak for sure, not a lot of blues players in my memory.

BranVan3000

Coach
:joy:
Look at everyone turn on the players again.

NSW didn’t lose that game due to inferior ability. They lost it due to inferior heart and grit, as they usually do.

Fittler needs to replay that set in 2nd half where QLD were smashing NSW ball runners with 4 men in every tackle. That’s origin intensity, that’s origin effort, that’s the cauldron you’ve entered.

After 40 years, NSW still don’t get it
giphy.gif

Jason Maher

Immortal
Teddy has really owned the last two series on a level not a lot players have ever done across multiple series. Few qlders have done so recently in that streak for sure, not a lot of blues players in my memory.

He was robbed blind of the Wally Lewis Medal last year. He truly is a special player, and I'm still flabbergasted at the number of people I saw questioning his selection for game 1 last year.

aqua_duck

Coach
Unfortunate Pearce never got the opportunity to play in this game to experience a series win.

Cool story bro, there were 34 players out there tonight many of whom played far worse but you decide to continuously single out Pearce for some unknown reason, does it make you feel better about yourself?

Reflector

Juniors
Onya Freddy. If people are going to claim he's simply lucked out to take over when Slater and Smith and Cronk were retiring, does that mean Mal lucked his way into the Qld Origin team when those players + JT were just starting out their Origin careers?

As far as I'm concerned Freddy can keep on holding barefoot training sessions, getting the players to meditate, hold hands and guide each other around blindfolded, get their star charts done, and each be provided with their own special healing crystals. Whatever it is, it's working. That self-belief we've seen from NSW in Game 2 last year and again tonight (sorry last night- I really need to get to bed)- that was absent just a few years ago. If Freddy took charge in 2017, we don't throw away Game 2 of that series with dumb football and we're talking the possibility of 4 in a row right now.

This series NSW have played terribly and still come so close to winning, they've wiped the floor with Qld AND they've managed to seal victory with literally the last play of the game, just when it threatened to be snatched from their grasp. There comes a point where you can't keep excusing it as 'luck'. There comes a point where you have to appreciate it's because of culture- and that time is now.

Spot On

Coach
Onya Freddy. If people are going to claim he's simply lucked out to take over when Slater and Smith and Cronk were retiring, does that mean Mal lucked his way into the Qld Origin team when those players + JT were just starting out their Origin careers?

As far as I'm concerned Freddy can keep on holding barefoot training sessions, getting the players to meditate, hold hands and guide each other around blindfolded, get their star charts done, and each be provided with their own special healing crystals. Whatever it is, it's working. That self-belief we've seen from NSW in Game 2 last year and again tonight (sorry last night- I really need to get to bed)- that was absent just a few years ago. If Freddy took charge in 2017, we don't throw away Game 2 of that series with dumb football and we're talking the possibility of 4 in a row right now.

This series NSW have played terribly and still come so close to winning, they've wiped the floor with Qld AND they've managed to seal victory with literally the last play of the game, just when it threatened to be snatched from their grasp. There comes a point where you can't keep excusing it as 'luck'. There comes a point where you have to appreciate it's because of culture- and that time is now.

QLDers will sell the line re no Smith and others and Freddy is really lucky etc. Propaganda to cover over the cracks. They need a really good look at their team, fringe players and coaching. But we all hope they stay loyal.

Freddy has done the unbelievable... 11 debutants last year = series win. Incredible. Legendary.

Mitchell Pearce = series winner. Messiah.

Maloney trying his absolute best to miss 33 tackles, give 20 penalties away and kick the ball into the opposing players to let them score.

Freddy is walking on water today.

What next?

The unknown

Juniors
Teddy is a freak. Once in a generation player, he's already won 2 man of the Series (well in most people's eyes) at the age of 25. To put that in perspective not even Lockyer, Slater, Smith etc won more than 1 (maybe Smith has can't remember)

Still never forget sometime in 2011 I was on the hill at leichhardt and some random told me to watch this number 1 play under 20s. It was tedesco...by full time he had scored 5 tries and just about set up everything else beating storm 70-4 or something (no exaggeration). That was the first time id ever watched him play

The best thing about him is even his "off" games are better than most fullbacks in the comp

Reflector

Juniors
QLDers will sell the line re no Smith and others and Freddy is really lucky etc. Propaganda to cover over the cracks. They need a really good look at their team, fringe players and coaching. But we all hope they stay loyal.

Freddy has done the unbelievable... 11 debutants last year = series win. Incredible. Legendary.

Mitchell Pearce = series winner. Messiah.

Maloney trying his absolute best to miss 33 tackles, give 20 penalties away and kick the ball into the opposing players to let them score.

Freddy is walking on water today.

What next?

What highlights the culture in this NSW side was exemplified by two moments last night-

a) When the players went up to join Cordner and celebrate with the shield, Pearce had his arm around Cleary the whole time and you could see they were getting along great. No animosity there whatsoever which is great, considering Pearce took Cleary's spot in the team

b) In the dressing room post-game, Freddy mentions that Cody Walker texted him before the game saying he "couldn't wait" to see the boys play. Cody could've felt dudded and have a grudge against Freddy for his axing- but clearly he realises the NSW team is bigger than him and whatever hurt feelings he might have had he put aside because he genuinely wanted to see the boys succeed- even if he wasn't part of it

On top of the fact that Freddy has got so many greats from different eras in camp (Blocker, Sirro, Gaz, Joey, Brandy, Bedsy, Fitzy etc) this all indicates real unity in the NSW Origin team at every level. This was something Qld did well for years and we were accused of lacking- so it's awesome to see this transformation happening for us.

betcats

Referee
Teddy is a freak. Once in a generation player, he's already won 2 man of the Series (well in most people's eyes) at the age of 25. To put that in perspective not even Lockyer, Slater, Smith etc won more than 1 (maybe Smith has can't remember)

Still never forget sometime in 2011 I was on the hill at leichhardt and some random told me to watch this number 1 play under 20s. It was tedesco...by full time he had scored 5 tries and just about set up everything else beating storm 70-4 or something (no exaggeration). That was the first time id ever watched him play

The best thing about him is even his "off" games are better than most fullbacks in the comp

You sure Slater didn't win more than one?