What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 Vs the Donkeys

franklin2323

Immortal
I know Mansour made a monumental defensive error but think he’s probably getting unnecessary heat. His centre didn’t make a tackle the entire night which lead directly to that decision. I thought Naden was worse by the length of the straight. Maybe I’m goin to hard on the kid & he’s just on the normal down after a month in the NRL, but it actually looked like a lack of effort on his part.

We are that short on outside backs, it just makes the decision to push Blake ever more baffling.

Naden and Martin were our 2 worst no doubt. The issue is the senior guys don't step up when this happens.

Our squad as a whole will be stronger next year than it would be if we kept Blake and Dallin

I’m not disagreeing with that, but to somehow point the finger at Katoa as a key contributor to our loss is just ridiculous, especially as the whole arguement is based on 1 missed tackle on a player that was making line breaks through the middle of our pack from minute 2 of the game.

He’s the definition of a scapegoat. The exact same people who were using Hook as a scapegoat.

Yeah, he’s certainly not the reason we lost. That’s silly.

Vicpanther

Juniors
Naden and Martin were our 2 worst no doubt. The issue is the senior guys don't step up when this happens.

Our squad as a whole will be stronger next year than it would be if we kept Blake and Dallin
100% agree. They are young and went from being on top of the world to in a heap. I don't think they have willpower and experience that age gives you to drag themselves out of the hole they are in.

Odur season is over. We may as well keep the jnrs in bring in luai or Burton tell Jimmy to go on holidays and get some kms under the kids belts.

Even if we make the finals we won't make it past round 1 we are to hit and miss.

I also believe Malone stifled us yesterday. When clears took control especial when katoa was out there things sped up. He seemed to slownit down again.

OldPanther

Coach
This should be our lineup..
1.new dude
2.Too
3.new dude
4.new dude/chricton
5.new dude
6.burton/luai
7.Cleary
8.new dude
9.new dude
10.new dude
11.new dude
12.new dude
13.new dude
14.Jfh
15.kikau
16.Yeo
17.Leotta
18.Spencer
I luv this lineup esp the new dudes

A lot of people don't like Edwards but he seems really good to me.

Well that was a difficult game to watch. The usual A+ effort derailed by the usual D- dumb football, poor fitness and plodding attack. A couple of points:
  • Cleary - once again he resorted to catch and pass, minimal running and zero ball playing. One run and he scores through his footwork and strength, but as a halfback he was so poor. This week was the same standard as the crap he delivered against the Bulldogs. Catch and pass. To be honest, it is the same effort he has delivered most of the season. Lots of effort, good defence, little guile, minimal running. Catch and pass. OP has suggested maybe when Maloney goes he will be a better player and stop taking a back seat. Personally I don't see it but let's hope OP is right or we have a $1m halfback with less creativity than Adam Sandler's script writer.
  • How does Dave's mate manage to finish the game with an interchange up his sleeve (7 of 8) when so many players were clearly gassed (Kikau for a start)?
  • We weren't as fit as the Broncos. The pre-season at Pie Face has really hurt us this year. We need to toughen up our fitness regime. Maybe go for a run, or, maybe even lift some weights or something, anything.....
  • Our season is captured by the 10 minute period Turpin was in the sin bin (terrible tackle and deserves a few weeks suspension). We dominate possession and can't score even against 12 men, in fact we concede a try. Dumb football, lots of errors and pedestrian in attack.Turgid anti-football that is wooden spoon worthy.
  • Kikau isn't fit enough under Cleary's 'Pie Face' training regime and can't play 80 minutes. Ditto Katoa, Kenny, Martin and Yeo.
  • What do they actually do at training to practice attack? Do they put cones out on the field, run their plays and because they score against the cones figure their attack must be good?
  • Our effort is always there, We don't give up. We made as many metres as the Broncos and they had length of the field line breaks boosting their stats. We had equal time in possession, but our completion rate was poor at 70% and with 14 errors. You make mistakes when you are tired. We are either just not fit enough, or we have too many poor footballers with bad hand/eye coordination and low football IQ's making bad decisions. Maybe a combination of both.
And somebody please give Katoa the number for Uber Taxis. Maybe if he can get a taxi to the ruck he might get there in time.

I agree. The proof is in the pudding and all that. I just hope I'm not proven a fool by Cleary next year.

10Grand

Juniors
Pomoz you are making too much sense..Thanks
Now Dwz n Blake weren't released because they were bad players but because someone gave them more then they worth..
Also do you think Barrett has something to offer our attack,I for one always had question mark on the credential of Wallace as our attackin coach 20 seconds into retirement..

franklin2323

Immortal
100% agree. They are young and went from being on top of the world to in a heap. I don't think they have willpower and experience that age gives you to drag themselves out of the hole they are in.

Odur season is over. We may as well keep the jnrs in bring in luai or Burton tell Jimmy to go on holidays and get some kms under the kids belts.

Even if we make the finals we won't make it past round 1 we are to hit and miss.

I also believe Malone stifled us yesterday. When clears took control especial when katoa was out there things sped up. He seemed to slownit down again.

It happens with rookies they hit the wall. They will freshen up have a hard off season and be good as new come next season. Add a few additions so we can drop guys if needed and we will be better this time next year

10Grand

Juniors
A lot of people don't like Edwards but he seems really good to me.

His effort is first class but he just doesn't have the silky skills of the top fullbacks in attack.Fullbacks create the numbers more then any other player..

I agree. The proof is in the pudding and all that. I just hope I'm not proven a fool by Cleary next year.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Where does one get one of these "new dude" trees?

We could use a tree where NRL quality players just appear full ready for the full season.

Growth-people-growing-in-trees.jpg

OldPanther

Coach

Billy Slater had no passing game to start with. Edwards has started doing more since he bagged himself in an article the other week.

franklin2323

Immortal
That makes no sense. Hook has us one win from first place after 26 rounds. Dave's mate and the "committee" has the same team at 8th place and probably won't make the semi's. Same cattle, in fact the youngsters are more experienced this year.

I posted before. We were doing the same thing under hook just had older guys in form to pull back the leads.

I am far from an Ivan fan but we are far from the side we were when Maloney was signed for example

Kilkenny

Coach
I know Mansour made a monumental defensive error but think he’s probably getting unnecessary heat. His centre didn’t make a tackle the entire night which lead directly to that decision. I thought Naden was worse by the length of the straight. Maybe I’m goin to hard on the kid & he’s just on the normal down after a month in the NRL, but it actually looked like a lack of effort on his part.

We are that short on outside backs, it just makes the decision to push Blake ever more baffling.

I don't think there was any lack of effort on Naden's part. He's made a few errors both in attack and defence and as a consequence he's doubting himself and his defence in particular is suffering. HIs miss on McCullogh when at marker led to the Bronco's first try was particularly costly and should not have happened. People got a bit caught up in the Brent Naden first four or five games. It was great to see but at the same time he wasn't exactly carving up in CC before his surprise selection and therefore it is no surprise now to see where he is at. He has been a makeshift in Ivan's roster revolution. We need two new centres for 2020 and Naden will go back to CC and be depth if we have injuries to our two main centres.

Kilkenny

Coach
A couple of observations, some of which based on what some have been writing on here;

1. I thought Dylan Edwards was very good, despite his mistake losing the ball on the first tackle and should remain our fullback until we have a much better option.
2. Mansour & Naden lack confidence in each other, lack speed and therefore are liabilities in defence particularly being paired together.
3. Unlike almost everyone I thought Maloney tried his gut's out, despite being targetted heavilly by the Bronco's who were in his face each and every time he took possession of the ball. Other than his try Nathan was anonymous while Jimmy was in everything and when he had no options which was most of the time he pinned the ears back and took the line on. Thinking the result may have been different with either Laui or Burton as opposed to Maloney is ridiculous.
4. Against the much vaunted Bronco's forward pack our pack did the hard stuff pretty well and for the most part made good ground and got us up the field. The lack of second phase play remains an issue although it was good to see Leota prepared to look for some offloads one of which led to our second try.
5. Yeo is playing with an injury which requires surgery despite which he still turns up and does a highly effective job even if not at the level he is capable off. Some on here suggesting he is no longer required and should be discarded should give themselves an upper cut.
6. It is criminally poor coaching playing Kikau for the full 80 minutes enough said there.
7. As I have said many times things are not going to change any time soon until we find some pace and power with two new outside backs, a quality hooker and another quality front rower.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't think there was any lack of effort on Naden's part. He's made a few errors both in attack and defence and as a consequence he's doubting himself and his defence in particular is suffering. HIs miss on McCullogh when at marker led to the Bronco's first try was particularly costly and should not have happened. People got a bit caught up in the Brent Naden first four or five games. It was great to see but at the same time he wasn't exactly carving up in CC before his surprise selection and therefore it is no surprise now to see where he is at. He has been a makeshift in Ivan's roster revolution. We need two new centres for 2020 and Naden will go back to CC and be depth if we have injuries to our two main centres.

I watch plenty of lower grades and can remember only a few times he started centre. Same with Crichton both need an off season to see what they have got