What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breaking News - Nathan Brown to depart Knights at seasons end

Knight76

Juniors
I'm thinking Brown wasn't sacked, but called time himself.

The club statement certainly reads that it was Brown that decided this season would be his last.

It doesn't add up that Wests sacked him, we are still technically in contention for the 8, Wests have said unless something big happens Brown would be the coach next year and I don't think Gardner is the type to say something publicly but do something else.

I'm almost convinced Brown pulled the pin himself. Also explains why it's announced early, and still finishing out the year.

Knight Vision

First Grade

The club statement certainly reads that it was Brown that decided this season would be his last.

It doesn't add up that Wests sacked him, we are still technically in contention for the 8, Wests have said unless something big happens Brown would be the coach next year and I don't think Gardner is the type to say something publicly but do something else.

I'm almost convinced Brown pulled the pin himself. Also explains why it's announced early, and still finishing out the year.
I'd say so. Brown has shown nothing less than impeccable character and honesty since he joined. I can only imagine coaching the Knights has taken a tremendous toll on himself and family.

I'd say he decided he has done about all he can do.

Burwood

Bench
Couple of thoughts- No doubt Wests already have someone lined up, or at worst a very short list. They aren’t an amateur organisation.

It’s good timing. Wait until season’s end and risk the media getting a sniff of what is happening and then it would be the club needing to be reactive instead of proactive. I also think that Brown is still popular with the playing group, so this gives them a bit of extra motivation to perform the remainder of the season.

Is this linked to Ponga at all? It was in the papers a week or two ago that one reason he hadnt resigned was because he wanted to see a clear way forward for the club achieving success onfield- money isn’t the deciding factor. Maybe he doesn’t see Brown as capable of winning a premiership or making the club a powerhouse and let Wests know this?

Also makes sense why there has been very little news with player resignings. No use locking guys in before a new coach is announced.

Woosh

Head Moderator
I'd say so. Brown has shown nothing less than impeccable character and honesty since he joined. I can only imagine coaching the Knights has taken a tremendous toll on himself and family.

I'd say he decided he has done about all he can do.

Brown was given his marching order after the Eels game.
That’s why Gardner was in the sheds at half time on the weekend talking to Pearce.

TooheysNew

Coach
Look... I don't want to be that guy and kick a guy when he is down but aren't we in a much better position due to Wests? It feels like management should getting praise not Brown... I dunno... Brown seems nice but in a results oriented business, all he got us were three spoons.
You really are naive.

It's more lately that I've been questioning Brown. I've picked up on his defence of the close games we lost and the failure to accept responsibility.
Close enough isn't good enough. Not much positive has been said about what we needed to do different except not play SOO players too quickly on return.
There's this 'one thing' that hasn't been mentioned. I get the impression something has been going on in the background.
We have a good roster but I think this decision risks us losing some players we might not want to lose. It definitely disrupts the small chance of making the 8 we have.
Brown has done a great job building this team and sticking it out. I really don't know who or what it will take to get any team we have being able to consistently perfirm. Players and coaches come and go and it's the same old.
In the Bennett era we had a coach saying that the team got it right in training but not on the field.
I reckon we need a Psych as coach or someone who was part of the club during a winning era that can get us into a position where we really believe we can win and do so consistently.

Last edited:

Haffa

I could be wrong, but Wests are smooth operators. Surely they'd not pull the trigger unless they had a shortlist of blokes that were interested at the very least, if not having someone already lined up?
You’re probably right. It’s going to be a fun offseason.

Spot On

Coach

Fox Sports reporting whispers had been circling for a week around Newy that Wests were beginning to look at the possibility of a new coach and Brown wanted to know if he was in the club's plans post this season.

Yesterday's meeting saw a mutual agreement to end it this year.