What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
P. P. S. We need to get much fitter also. I would do my damnedest to get us to Melbourne level fitness or even Tigers fitness. I don't think we are at those levels.
I think every team is as close as possible to 'peak fitness' by round one. Any differences (real or perceived) come down to playing talent rather than coaching. High involvement big men are worth more than big slugs. The fittest spine players create more opportunities over 80 minutes than less fit playmakers of equivalent skill. These fitter players cost more which is why they are usually at the clubs that seem to be able to pay more.

Related to this, the affordable high-involvement players (like Alvaro and Gutherson) lack power, speed or skill, and are usually found at the clubs that have less to spend on players. You mention the fitness levels at the Tigers but it's no coincidence that they also lack size and skill in the forwards. All their go-forward is provided by their outside backs. That's fine in their own half but inside the opposition 20 they are toothless, with no quick play-the-balls.

TheRam

Coach
Think I read somewhere Moses has regular chats with Sterlo to help his game.

Ennis has helped Mahoney out https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/19/ennis-the-man-behind-mahoneys-rise/

Mark Carrol has been helping Evans out https://amp.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/31ae11d2428e9991927ae1eb740d6d71

Sure Mahoney having access to Ennis on the phone every now and then is good, but hardly is the same thing as him being part of the training staff week in week out and hands on.

Carrol, did that on his own initiative and basically has been self promoting himself ever since, but again not a bad thing for the limited value it is. But really, telling Evans that his is a giant and to run like one is hardly revolutionary.

As for Serlo, great legend of the club, but none of the current players would know jack sh*t about him and if he were real value adding to any football team, other clubs would have sought him out like the ones I have already mentioned.

TheRam

Coach
I think every team is as close as possible to 'peak fitness' by round one. Any differences (real or perceived) come down to playing talent rather than coaching. High involvement big men are worth more than big slugs. The fittest spine players create more opportunities over 80 minutes than less fit playmakers of equivalent skill. These fitter players cost more which is why they are usually at the clubs that seem to be able to pay more.

Related to this, the affordable high-involvement players (like Alvaro and Gutherson) lack power, speed or skill, and are usually found at the clubs that have less to spend on players. You mention the fitness levels at the Tigers but it's no coincidence that they also lack size and skill in the forwards. All their go-forward is provided by their outside backs. That's fine in their own half but inside the opposition 20 they are toothless, with no quick play-the-balls.

Bollocks on the Tigers statement. Did you hear what B. Marshal said on 360 earlier this year on how he thought he had been trained well over the years under former coaches and then M. Maguire took them all to another level? He said it was horrific and attributed it to the way they have been able to compete this season even with a lesser roster. That would have been the same no matter what size or quality their players are. There are some clubs that do train at a higher level. I just don't think we are one of them.

84 Baby

Referee
As for Serlo, great legend of the club, but none of the current players would know jack sh*t about him and if he were real value adding to any football team, other clubs would have sought him out like the ones I have already mentioned.
You’re off your head if you think there’s a single current player who doesn’t know who Sterlo is. His highlights are all on YouTube and they’ve grown up listening to his expert comments on games. He’s been part of Origin staff and I’m pretty sure (for better or worse) various halves have sort him out for advice

TheRam

Coach
You’re off your head if you think there’s a single current player who doesn’t know who Sterlo is. His highlights are all on YouTube and they’ve grown up listening to his expert comments on games. He’s been part of Origin staff and I’m pretty sure (for better or worse) various halves have sort him out for advice

Didn't say they don't know who he is. But how many do you think have watched him play other then the occasional highlight here or there? Sure he has a high profile in the game no one is disputing that, but he also lasted just one series of SOO. Maybe there is something in that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bollocks on the Tigers statement. Did you hear what B. Marshal said on 360 earlier this year on how he thought he had been trained well over the years under former coaches and then M. Maguire took them all to another level? He said it was horrific and attributed it to the way they have been able to compete this season even with a lesser roster. That would have been the same no matter what size or quality their players are. There are some clubs that do train at a higher level. I just don't think we are one of them.
So Benji says he's had the toughest pre-season ever and you swallow it up? Physical training hurts everyone more as they get older. Benji and Tim Mannah aren't the only ones who think so.

TheRam

Coach
So Benji says he's had the toughest pre-season ever and you swallow it up? Physical training hurts everyone more as they get older. Benji and Tim Mannah aren't the only ones who think so.

It wasn't just a throw away line like most use it. He was asked specifically to explain what he experienced in the off season under Maguire and he then went into detail.

hindy111

Post Whore
We should not believe the papers but should believe you ? Please go on ...

57c496efb6fa0217008b4840-750-375.jpg

Ok your right...
Tamou 800k
Cleary 1 mill
RCG 1 mill
DWZ 700k
Blake 800k
Maloney 800k
Kikau 750k
Mansour 600k

Gee well over 6 mill on 8 guys going of what papers say.

But we have already worked out you beleive everything your told like a good little soldier. Never ask question and mock anyone who does.
Pissant

Gronk

Staff member
Ok your right...
Tamou 800k
Cleary 1 mill
RCG 1 mill
DWZ 700k
Blake 800k
Maloney 800k
Kikau 750k
Mansour 600k

Gee well over 6 mill on 8 guys going of what papers say.

But we have already worked out you beleive everything your told like a good little soldier. Never ask question and mock anyone who does.
Pissant

I never said I believe what is in the papers, I don't. I also don't believe that you have any inside knowledge either.

Geeze you're a bit crabby this afternoon.

giphy.gif

Gronk

Staff member
RCG closing in on Eels switch
Reagan Campbell-Gillard has moved another step closer to joining the Eels next year. NRL.com understands his manager Mark Stewart met Panthers officials on Thursday to discuss his future.

The Eels are still keen to lure the out-of-favour Panthers prop to the club next year despite the former Blues forward still having another five years to run on his deal.

Parramatta are willing to pay just shy of $600,000 a year for his services, however the Panthers need to determine if they want to cover close to $300,000 in the difference of his current deal.

The Eels remain in the box seat to secure his services with a potential deal to be inked in the coming weeks.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/05...dule-options-open-but-storm-set-for-saturday/

RCG closing in on Eels switch
Reagan Campbell-Gillard has moved another step closer to joining the Eels next year. NRL.com understands his manager Mark Stewart met Panthers officials on Thursday to discuss his future.

The Eels are still keen to lure the out-of-favour Panthers prop to the club next year despite the former Blues forward still having another five years to run on his deal.

Parramatta are willing to pay just shy of $600,000 a year for his services, however the Panthers need to determine if they want to cover close to $300,000 in the difference of his current deal.

The Eels remain in the box seat to secure his services with a potential deal to be inked in the coming weeks.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/05...dule-options-open-but-storm-set-for-saturday/
Are they going to pay $300K total, or $300K for the next five years? Because the second one seems unlikely.

emjaycee

Coach
Are they going to pay $300K total, or $300K for the next five years? Because the second one seems unlikely.
Whilst it seems unlikely it isnt beyond the realms of possibility that they would pay $300k each year for 5 years. Giving themselves $600k per yr to use elsewhere.

It is less probable that we would sign him to a 5 year deal though so who do they pay if he leaves us?