What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.5%

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
t’s not that we lost, the Storm were always going to be tough.
It’s how we lost.

Mentally piss weak. Again. How can you destroy a team one week and then get destroyed yourself?
It's happened to teams coached by Bellamy and Flanagan. It's part of the learning process for premiership teams.
It’s been an obvious improvement and you cannot take away from that but a top 4 spot next year is the aim. Anything less should not be acceptable and if we miss out in 2020 like we have in previous years after a breakout season (2010 and 2018 immediately come to mind) we bite the bullet and seek a new direction under a new coach.
Agreed we should be hoping for top four next year. We've done it before under Arthur. This finals loss is meaningless. It has nothing to do with Arthur. The real warning sign was our 2018 performance over 24 games, not the results of a single finals match.

As I said, Bellamy and Flanagan (and Bennett, and Hasler, and the rest) have been beaten by bigger scores than 32-0 in finals matches. Does that mean they're also "mentally piss weak"?

chiefy1

Juniors
Bring in Flanaghan to assist Arthur i say. The top teams know that if they go set for set, the eels will eventually make silly mistakes or give away a dumb penalty. Sure the extra motivation gets us home at bankwest, but in away games we can't win the arm wrestle.

For mine, we're still too erratic.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
I would much rather BA than Flanagan and I can't believe anyone still wants the cheating scumbag at Parramatta. Deadset.

At least BA understands that, whatever the reason, Parramatta sides always play best with a bit of flair in attack and the desire to pile points on.

Does dour old Peptide Shane understand that? In fact, apart from peptides and a busted cap, what did he actually do to improve Cronulla?

Last edited:

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
I would much rather BA than Flanagan and I can't believe anyone still wants the cheating scumbag at Parramatta. Deadset.

At least BA understands that, whatever the reason, Parramatta sides always play best with a bit of flair in attack and the desire to pile points on.

Does dour old Peptide Shane understand that? In fact, apart from peptides and a busted cap, what did he actually do to improve Cronulla?
He won them a comp genuine contenders each year , in fact the xperts still had that side as being the only one capable outside the top 4 this year being a chance at beating the top 4

Bazal

Post Whore
He won them a comp genuine contenders each year , in fact the xperts still had that side as being the only one capable outside the top 4 this year being a chance at beating the top 4

Yes, but you didn't read the question.

Apart from peptides and a busted cap, what did he actually do to improve them?

It's easy to be top four when you're over the cap and on performance enhancing drugs... Did their style of play improve under Flanagan?

I'd argue it got worse. He assembled a squad (illegally) of players that could just bore teams to death, ensured they were fit enough (again, illegally) to out grind most sides, instructed them to give away cheap penalties to muck the flow of the game up and then outlasted teams in shit games of footy.

Is that what we want for Parramatta? Do we reckon this squad could even do that??

IFR33K

Coach

Not sure I’ve read one post anyone stating they want Flanno over BA. I’ve read post stating he’d be a good assistant to BA.

Avenger

Immortal

Bellamy Knew nothing but Flanno is a cheat?

Give me a f**king break. Flanno is one of the first coaches to get the better of the Storm. He is a top coach and I’d have him in an instant.

chiefy1

Juniors
Flanno took an absolute basket case that was boarding on bankruptcy to regular premiership contenders . He spent his own money to set up a gym because the club couldn't afford one. He has developed many players from scratch to become Origin reps.

Cheating the cap, every club has done it, but few get caught
Performance enhancements - they are around today and it's bigger than most think. The fact that Armstrong had never tested positive in more than a decade proves it's extremely easy to never be caught out.

Half of Flanno premiership winning team we're nothing but glorified park footballers

Bazal

Post Whore
Bellamy Knew nothing but Flanno is a cheat?

Give me a f**king break. Flanno is one of the first coaches to get the better of the Storm. He is a top coach and I’d have him in an instant.

Where did I say Bellamy knew nothing?

I've called him a cheat for ages you angry little ant lol

emjaycee

Coach
All week it was “we’re a very different side from round 9” etc. That first half was worse than the round 9 effort. Three things saved us from another 60 score line:

1) The rain
2) Missed conversions
3) They clocked off early knowing they have a very tough game next week.

Our defence is rubbish and if we don’t get new defensive coaches in who actually know what they’re doing, next year will be a similar ride for us. Plenty of great wins mixed with woeful performances.
When you say we need a new defense coach, exactly what do you want the coach to teach them (and this is a serious question)?
Is it technique, structure, line speed...?
Where do you think our defence is failing us?

Bazal

Post Whore
Flanno took an absolute basket case that was boarding on bankruptcy to regular premiership contenders . He spent his own money to set up a gym because the club couldn't afford one. He has developed many players from scratch to become Origin reps.

Cheating the cap, every club has done it, but few get caught
Performance enhancements - they are around today and it's bigger than most think. The fact that Armstrong had never tested positive in more than a decade proves it's extremely easy to never be caught out.

So he improved the style of their football?

Bazal

Post Whore
I didnt say that ... i also didnt ever say i want flanigan

But i do understand people wanting to win

I also didn't say that it was just about style. The shit style Flanagan plays is one that I would struggle to support Parramatta playing but there are heaps of other reasons I would t touch Flanno with Avengers money

I understand wanting to win. Just not at all costs, Flanagan style.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
When you say we need a new defense coach, exactly what do you want the coach to teach them (and this is a serious question)?
Is it technique, structure, line speed...?
Where do you think our defence is failing us?
Recruiting will fix our defence. At the moment we have Junior Paulo and a midget playing long minutes in the middle (out of necessity). No amount of coaching will strengthen that. We need to be able to protect them better. RCG will go a long way to doing that, but we need two other things:

1. Better ball control - your defence always looks worse when the opposition has all the ball
2. Another dummy half in the top 17

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
You'd be happy with being grubs like the Storm and the Sharks?

I wouldn't

Hard for us to throw stones , 2016/2017 squad which this team has been built off was also built off cheating cap too,
Flanagan was an awesome assistant before he became head coach , he will build grit in our defence, and fix up our ruck

emjaycee

Coach
Recruiting will fix our defence. At the moment we have Junior Paulo and a midget playing long minutes in the middle (out of necessity). No amount of coaching will strengthen that. We need to be able to protect them better. RCG will go a long way to doing that, but we need two other things:

1. Better ball control - your defence always looks worse when the opposition has all the ball
2. Another dummy half in the top 17
So in your opinion, does a new defence coach fix the problem or is it about the players we have/don't have?

Keen to see the thoughts of @Tooooks as well.

strider

Post Whore
I also didn't say that it was just about style. The shit style Flanagan plays is one that I would struggle to support Parramatta playing but there are heaps of other reasons I would t touch Flanno with Avengers money

I understand wanting to win. Just not at all costs, Flanagan style.
Unfortunately teams that cant afford the extra millions outside the salary cap have to find something else to try and get an edge on the teams that do ... being grubby has proven to work ... raiders have headed down that path to a degree too

Latest posts