What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Intrust Super Cup

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Storm has had a feeder club in the Queensland Cup since 1998 - 22 seasons.

Only one has won the Premiership - Norths that first year in 1998.

Sunshine Coast just following what has happened in the past. Wouldn't help having Dane Hogan as captain. His record of imploding when with Easts in big games is second to none. They butchered the 2013 GF against Mackay when they had it won and disintegrated into farce against Northern Pride in 2014. Not the type of leader you need.

League guru

Juniors
Storm has had a feeder club in the Queensland Cup since 1998 - 22 seasons.

Only one has won the Premiership - Norths that first year in 1998.

Sunshine Coast just following what has happened in the past. Wouldn't help having Dane Hogan as captain. His record of imploding when with Easts in big games is second to none. They butchered the 2013 GF against Mackay when they had it won and disintegrated into farce against Northern Pride in 2014. Not the type of leader you need.
Yeh, not a big fan of Hogan either, but I am sick of Burleigh and their in your face bully boy style of footie. Been going on for 20 years back to the Rick Stone days. As a club they haven't produced too many, always been a refuge for blokes who didn't quite make in in the NRL. Plenty of money to throw around.
Sauiluma is a classic example, loves to dish out niggling cheap shots, but didn't appreciate getting shortened up himself.

Jimmy Wiggle

Juniors
Yeh, not a big fan of Hogan either, but I am sick of Burleigh and their in your face bully boy style of footie. Been going on for 20 years back to the Rick Stone days. As a club they haven't produced too many, always been a refuge for blokes who didn't quite make in in the NRL. Plenty of money to throw around.
Sauiluma is a classic example, loves to dish out niggling cheap shots, but didn't appreciate getting shortened up himself.

Different opinions for different folk, I like how they play. The in your face style & they still use the ball & score good long range tries.

Must have missed big Sami having a whinge, it looked to me like he left the field pretty much straight away.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Y

Noticed him in the game against Wynnum at Kougari happy to niggle as you say, his trouble was when it came to defend he couldn't and let the Gulls in for a try they shouldn't have scored.

I think most of the Burleigh players aren't too bad these days, certainly tough but no nonsense with most of them. Luke Page is a great example of an old style tough forward but never a cheap shot from him.

League guru

Juniors
Noticed him in the game against Wynnum at Kougari happy to niggle as you say, his trouble was when it came to defend he couldn't and let the Gulls in for a try they shouldn't have scored.

I think most of the Burleigh players aren't too bad these days, certainly tough but no nonsense with most of them. Luke Page is a great example of an old style tough forward but never a cheap shot from him.
Yep, your right, Page is honest. Although Pythian is a perfect example, he seems angry, that he didn't make it at NRL level. Needs to prove how tough he is. Tyson Gamble at Redcliffe is a bit of a clone.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Sunshine Coast Falcons Head Coach, Eric Smith has been released to take up a assistant coach position with Newcastle Knights and long term colleague at the storm Adam O'Brien.

Interesting to see who they will appoint as a replacement. Melbourne had a hand in picking the Easts Tigers 2020 Coach so they may have input in the Falcons next appointment

Looks like a nice crowd building for Sunday. Only 1000 tickets left apparently according to the QRL website.

Judging by Ticketek, the GA East side of the ground is completely sold out. Tickets still available for Northern Hill and the Grandstand side though.

yakstorm

First Grade
Northern Hill gone now, and most of the Grandstand... would only be a few hundred tickets left now... Should look great on TV and mean a good atmosphere.

Brutus

Referee
Is there any way of viewing the QLD Cup GF live outside of QLD?

They used to live stream it on the QRL website, but I'm not sure they will be doing this today.

Last edited:
I haven’t been to an event yet at the ground where it has been close to capacity since the redevelopment.

Anyway, my tip for the main game is Burleigh because their easier run to the grand final. The trip to Townsville might take something out of the Seagulls. I tip Wynnum to win Colts over Sunshine Coast though.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
If Wynnum had Matiu Love-Henry (broken ankle last round against Norths) and Matt Elliott (suspended) who have been close to their two best forwards all year and certainly their enforcers, then I would be extremely confident about today.

However, their absence makes it a lot tougher. That said, all the replacements who Wynnum have brought in through the year have done their job well. It hasn't mattered who has been in or out, Wynnum haven't played a bad game all year - all their losses have been narrow.

The one player for the Gulls who has had an absolutely outstanding season but rarely gets mentioned is Kalolo Saitaua, a fabulous impact player as a small forward. Look for him in the Number 19 jersey he always wears.

Enjoy Grand Final Day!

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Is there any way of viewing the QLD Cup GF live outside of QLD?

They used to live stream it on the QRL website, but I'm not sure they will be doing this today.

It looks like the curtain raisers are available on the QRL site but not sure about the main game.

expansionist

Juniors
I really dont like Hogan as a player.. as an Easts supporter I never appreciated his style so I was glad when we went to Sunny Coast with Ingebritson (who they were also welcome to)

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Easts best and fairest Sam Lavea has signed with Sunshine Coast for next season. Will head down to Melbourne for preseason in December. Hearing more players are looking elsewhere for 2020.

In saying that, I hear they have snared Michael Purcell form Ipswich and Linc Port returns from Souths.

Brutus

Referee
Poor Bears. Had plenty of opportunities to seal that game on Sunday.

Good to see a competitive match this year. Please NRL, move the State Championship match back to the main curtain-raiser next year where it belongs.

expansionist

Juniors
Sunshine Coast Falcons Head Coach, Eric Smith has been released to take up a assistant coach position with Newcastle Knights and long term colleague at the storm Adam O'Brien.

Interesting to see who they will appoint as a replacement. Melbourne had a hand in picking the Easts Tigers 2020 Coach so they may have input in the Falcons next appointment

Quite a changing of the guard at Easts and also Souths for that matter.

Ive not seen anywhere but have heard quite a large percentage of Easts players on the move -including some surprising ones.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Quite a changing of the guard at Easts and also Souths for that matter.

Ive not seen anywhere but have heard quite a large percentage of Easts players on the move -including some surprising ones.

Just saw they have resigned Brett Greinke. I believe him and Jack Svendsen are pretty much the only senior contingent left at the club. The rest have been told either they are not required or have gone elsewhere.

I know one 2019 signing is already looking to break contract with the club to move elsewhere as he came to the club to play with players who have been walked.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Burleigh bears vacant coaching position has gained some interest. Rick stone was rumour to come back as John Cartwright is favoured to gain the position. Interesting to hear John Buchanan also applies for the role.

Latest posts