What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019/20 Eels offseason discussion

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon that comes down to onfield leadership. When we start to leak line breaks and points we can’t stem the bleeding. I love Gutho but he is the nice guy/joker personality, which you absolutely need on the roster in influential positions. But I still think we need a hard edged captain for when the going gets tough to snap the players out of the rut we sometimes find ourselves in.

We could fix that if we signed Jake T.........

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Wonder if Spud Carroll would be up for being employed by the club full-time to work with the props? He's done individual work with Evans and RCG as well as keeping in contact with Mannah.

Delboy

First Grade
The real job and results lie firmly at the feet of the HOF Mark O'Neil, while its obvious what it's needed, if we don't extend players like Dylan, Reed and Sivo and sign more than average performers to fill the gaps left by departures then the club is missing an opportunity which may not be there for much longer.

It's that simple and at the same time difficult, let's see how the club progresses having handed the reins to O'Neil. The Chinese curse of "may you live in interesting g times" comes immediately to mind. The next 6/8 weeks could well be crucial as to where we are heading.

chiefy1

Juniors
The real job and results lie firmly at the feet of the HOF Mark O'Neil, while its obvious what it's needed, if we don't extend players like Dylan, Reed and Sivo and sign more than average performers to fill the gaps left by departures then the club is missing an opportunity which may not be there for much longer.

It's that simple and at the same time difficult, let's see how the club progresses having handed the reins to O'Neil. The Chinese curse of "may you live in interesting g times" comes immediately to mind. The next 6/8 weeks could well be crucial as to where we are heading.

D Brown is the one to sign. Id go Lane next. If we can't sign Drown i really don't like what's ahead.

emjaycee

Coach
yeh, we could do worse as long as he doesn't block Schneider's development and Davies steps up which seems viable.
Do you mean Andrew Davey (the backrower) or Rhys Davies (the halfback)?

Andrew Davey won't ever play first grade or if he does, we are at the bottom of the barrel. Nice guy and works hard, good reserve grader but wont ever make the step up.

emjaycee

Coach
The one blocking Schneider at the mo is Mahoney. Good but also scary problem to have
The one blocking Schneider at the moment is actually Schneider - his body isn't growing fast enough/big enough and he is getting injured too often.

Andrew Davey won't ever play first grade or if he does, we are at the bottom of the barrel. Nice guy and works hard, good reserve grader but wont ever make the step up.
Davies has also looked very ordinary to me when I've watched them.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

Davey, but I thought he was better than that, you've seen a lot more of him than I have so I'll take your word for it

if thats the case, we need another edge player for mine, so it may have to come from within if we sign Izaac Luke

emjaycee

Coach
Davey, but I thought he was better than that, you've seen a lot more of him than I have so I'll take your word for it

if thats the case, we need another edge player for mine, so it may have to come from within if we sign Izaac Luke
I've actually only managed to catch 3 or so Wenty games this year so I haven't seen that much of him. My comment above came from someone on the NRL coaching staff to me in a recent conversation.