What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Dragonsamy

Bench
re Sailor i have heard the "rumours" that he will end up at the Broncos, if we don't give him game time next year he may be off, with the Broncos needing a fullback and halves this is a possibility, even though he is a QLDer he has grown up in Wollongong so home is really Wollongong, hope he stays beyond next year...

He of contract so we need to get him for a 2 year extension by then we will know if he's a regular starting NRL player or not.

getsmarty

Immortal
kerr.jpg

CANTERBURY CUP

Dragons fight back falls agonisingly short in preliminary final
Author
NSWRL
Timestamp
Sun 22 Sep 2019, 06:35 PM

Newtown Jets are through to the Canterbury Cup NSW Grand Final but not before suffering an almighty fright in their 22-20 Preliminary Final win against St George Illawarra Dragons at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium today.

The Jets looked well on track to make it back-to-back deciders after surging to a 22-6 lead early in the second half but had to hang on for dear life after the Dragons scored three unanswered tries late in the game to set up a frantic final five minutes.

It was an entertaining match and a fitting Grand Final qualifier with almost 3000 supporters – predominantly Jets fans – turning up to the ground to catch all the action.

1gt_8183.jpg

Dragons captain Darren Nicholls launches the ball into the air
“It’s a nice feeling (to make the Grand Final),” Jets captain Scott Sorensen told nswrl.com.au

“We know we’ve got a real nice group of boys here and everyone really enjoys each other’s company as well and really enjoy playing with each other so it’s pretty special.

“As you can hear out here all the support we’ve got out here is special and we’re very grateful for all the support of the Newtown faithful, the boys really enjoy it.”

Newtown's next obstacle will be Wentworthville Magpies - who beat South Sydney Rabbitohs and are chasing their own fairy tale finish after finishing the season in eighth position – when they turn out for the Canterbury Cup NSW Grand Final at Bankwest Stadium on Sunday September 29.

The Jets, who finished the season in seventh spot to set up a unique decider between the bottom two teams, came into the Preliminary Final brimming with confidence after scoring a convincing win over Mounties in Week One and rallying to come from behind against North Sydney Bears in Week Two.

They started the match in strong fashion too after hooker Blayke Brailey picked up Ronaldo Mulitalo close to the line and the Jets centre proved too strong for the Dragons defence as barged his way over before firmly planting the ball down.

The Dragons scored through Tristan Sailor – who was returning from a NRL stint and was one of the Red V’s best – but any joy was short-lived after fullback Jai Field came up with a bad error taking a kick dead before it had officially gone over the line.

The mistake proved costly with Jets fullback Williams Kennedy holding a ball up before putting through a deft kick for winger Sione Katoa to pounce on the ball and score.

The Jets ensured they would go into the halftime break with their tails up after Kennedy again showed his class with quick hands to help put Katoa over for his second.

fordj-190922_gt_19.jpg

Jackson Ford slices through
The Dragons were down 16-6 and any hopes they had of conjuring a second half fightback looked all but over when centre Matt Evans drifted across field and picked up Siosifa Talakai who charged through a gap before dragging defenders over the line with him.

“The last fortnight we’ve missed the jump from the kick-off and had to chase our result so today we wanted to start fast and know that we can start fast,” Sorensen said.

“The result is a little bit closer than what we’d like but we got the job done.

“The big thing for us was getting back into the grind of things so in the first half we just grinded it out and got a few points.

“That’s all we needed to do in the second half but they scored a few tries, (we just had to) kick down to the corners and ‘D’ up and let the result take care of itself.”

Cue the Dragons fightback. Sailor got the ball rolling with a spectacular acrobatic try in the corner in which he leapt over the defence before somehow managing to plant the ball down with one hand.

Tries followed to Patrick Kaufusi and Steven Marsters to reduce the margin to 22-20 and set up a thrilling finish but it was a case of too little too late once again for the Dragons with time eventually beating them.

It was a similar fate to last year after they charged home against Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in a Preliminary Final only to run out of time too. They will be left to rue another season that got away after finishing as Minor Premier but falling short for the Grand Final by one game again.

They earned a week off after beating last year’s winners the Bulldogs in Week One, and welcomed back even more NRL players in Sailor, Jackson Ford, Reece Robson, Jonus Pearson and Jordan Pereira, but struggled to match the Jets intensity in the first half.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...falls-agonisingly-short-in-preliminary-final/

watatank

Coach
re Sailor i have heard the "rumours" that he will end up at the Broncos, if we don't give him game time next year he may be off, with the Broncos needing a fullback and halves this is a possibility, even though he is a QLDer he has grown up in Wollongong so home is really Wollongong, hope he stays beyond next year...

It's a possibility but he is better off staying for this stage of his career even with McGregor as coach.

Old Timer

Coach
My take aways out of the CC game yesterday.
  • The Blue Bags had far more intensity and mongrel than we did. Other than Kaufusi no aggression or real "hard nut" toughness on display.
  • For all of our huffing & puffing re players with 1st grade experience we looked like rabble and were easily outplayed for 60% of the game. Obviously having played 1st grade for our lot doesn't necessarily translate into being a standout in CC.
  • Our game plan was reminiscent of 1st grade i.e. mindless.
  • Our use of the bench was straight out of Mc Fookknucle's play book.
  • Nicholls got way too much ball and Clune far too little.
  • Field did nothing at FB so how wrong was Millward in his statement a couple of years back?
  • Maranta playing centre was doomed to failure so why do it?
  • Tristan Sailor can score a try but his defence and positional play leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe Field MK11?
  • We are already working on how to get young Ford busted like our other 1st grade forwards. In 1 section of the game he puts his hand up for a rest (lip reading he said "I'm f**ked" and we keep him on & give him some more hit ups.
  • The 1st vision of Mc Grinner on TV shows him alone talking to Fat Albert whilst everyone else is in the stands with the playing group.
  • Clune the best player in our team and by some margin.
  • If brutally honest hard to see much hope for our 1st grade squad out of what was dished up yesterday and considering that Mc Grinner would be coaching any skills out of them.

emu62

Juniors
  • The Blue Bags had far more intensity and mongrel than we did. Other than Kaufusi no aggression or real "hard nut" toughness on display.
  • For all of our huffing & puffing re players with 1st grade experience we looked like rabble and were easily outplayed for 60% of the game. Obviously having played 1st grade for our lot doesn't necessarily translate into being a standout in CC.
  • Field did nothing at FB so how wrong was Millward in his statement a couple of years back?
  • Tristan Sailor can score a try but his defence and positional play leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe Field MK11?
  • We are already working on how to get young Ford busted like our other 1st grade forwards. In 1 section of the game he puts his hand up for a rest (lip reading he said "I'm f**ked" and we keep him on & give him some more hit ups.
  • The 1st vision of Mc Grinner on TV shows him alone talking to Fat Albert whilst everyone else is in the stands with the playing group.
  • If brutally honest hard to see much hope for our 1st grade squad out of what was dished up yesterday and considering that Mc Grinner would be coaching any skills out of them.
All points 100% spot on O.T. I thought Clune was very impressive, makes you wonder how good he could be as a fulltime footballer & with a real head coach

Dragon David

First Grade
Every one of your points Old Timer is exactly how I saw and see everything. I noticed young Ford put his hand up and mouthed the words "I'm f--ked" and wanted to come off. Very true that Clune was the best player in our team. He looks a version of Luke Keary and I hope we can sign him up if he has finished his studies and wants to play in the NRL.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Sailor has only re-signed for a further 12 months so he can finish the last year of his degree/diploma at UOW. I’d say with confidence, he’ll be elsewhere in 2021.

getsmarty

Immortal
kennedy-w-190929100sm.jpg

CANTERBURY CUP

2019 Canterbury Cup NSW Team of the Year
Author
NSWRL
Timestamp
Sun 29 Sep 2019, 06:37 PM

The NSWRL is pleased to announce the 2019 Canterbury Cup NSW Team of the Year (TOTY), which includes a combined total of seven players from the Newtown Jets and Wentworthville Magpies, involved in the Grand Final at Bankwest Stadium today (September 28).

The Canterbury Cup NSW TOTY is chosen by expert media commentators and nswrl.com.au staff and recognises the most consistent players from the state’s premier competition (see criteria below).

The Jets, who finished the season in seventh position and claimed the 2019 Canterbury Cup NSW premiership with a 20-15 win over Wentworthville Magpies, are represented by Grand Final Man of the Match William Kennedy, lock Billy Magoulias and replacements Jaimin Jolliffe and Scott Sorensen.

The Magpies are represented by winger Greg Leleisiuao and replacements Rhys Davies and Tim Mannah. Wentworthville coach Rip Taylor was named Coach of the Year after helping steer the team into the Grand Final from eighth position.

Other players in the TOTY include South Sydney captain Billy Brittain, who was named Canterbury Cup NSW Player of the Year at the Brad Fittler Medal Awards night.

Minor Premier St George Illawarra Dragons, who missed out on the Grand Final after losing to the Jets in a Preliminary Final, were also well represented with four players – centre Tristan Sailor, halfback Adam Clune, prop Lachlan Timm and backrower Jackson Ford.

Canterbury Cup NSW Team of the Year

1. William Kennedy (Newtown Jets)

2. Mawene Hiroti (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

3. Morgan Harper (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)

4. Tristan Sailor (St George Illawarra Dragons)

5. Greg Leleisiuao (Wentworthville Magpies)

6. Connor Tracey (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

7. Adam Clune (St George Illawarra Dragons)

8. Lachlan Timm (St George Illawarra Dragons)

9. Billy Brittain (South Sydney Rabbitohs) (c)

10. Max Bailey (North Sydney Bears)

11. Jackson Ford (St George Illawarra Dragons)

12. William Burns (Penrith Panthers)

13. Billy Magoulias (Newtown Jets)

14. Rhys Davies (Wentworthville Magpies)

15. Jaimin Jolliffe (Newtown Jets)

16. Tim Mannah (Wentworthville Magpies)

17. Scott Sorenson (Newtown Jets)

Coach: Rip Taylor (Wentworthville Magpies)

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/09/29/canterbury-cup-nsw-team-of-the-year-2019/

P.S Thanks georgedragon

qld redvee

Juniors
Here we go again Timm gets into the team of the year and due to a disagreement with supercoach he cant get onto our 17 .. I hope gus asked the question and showed BJ the reply

Wittenberg

Juniors
I worry about Sailor. Not that I don’t think he has skills but so far he has the same weaknesses as Field and Dufty - a lack of size, at times his positional play can be poor and his defence timid. He has time to develop and overcome these deficiencies but so too did Dufty and Field. He doesn’t appear to have the dynamic pace of the other two, but he has a better footballing brain. It has been pleasing to see him trail our players up the middle, something that Dufty used to do. I hope he becomes the superstar some feel he will become, but I’m holding my enthusiasm at this point. At times a name can blind supporters. This kid has ability don’t get me wrong, but the new saviour? I am a little more sceptical.

Dragonsamy

Bench
I worry about Sailor. Not that I don’t think he has skills but so far he has the same weaknesses as Field and Dufty - a lack of size, at times his positional play can be poor and his defence timid. He has time to develop and overcome these deficiencies but so too did Dufty and Field. He doesn’t appear to have the dynamic pace of the other two, but he has a better footballing brain. It has been pleasing to see him trail our players up the middle, something that Dufty used to do. I hope he becomes the superstar some feel he will become, but I’m holding my enthusiasm at this point. At times a name can blind supporters. This kid has ability don’t get me wrong, but the new saviour? I am a little more sceptical.

Agree with You .
Wittenberg you make a very good point re sailors defensive deficiencies. But I see at defence throughout the club as a very poor we could do with a better defensive coach they don't seem to have the correct tackling techniques. I don't think Size Matters as much if you know how to tackle correctly in my opinion. But sailor is a good kid who seems to want to learn and is not full of himself so I see only ups for him.

Last edited:

TheFlash

Juniors
Agree with You .
Wittenberg you make a very good point re sailors defensive deficiencies. But I see at defence throughout the club as a very poor we could do with a better defensive coach they don't seem to have the correct tackling techniques. I don't think Size Matters as much if you know how to tackle correctly in my opinion. But sailor is a good kid who seems to want to learn and is not full of himself so I see only for him.
You don't really see proper tackling around the legs anymore in the 80s Paul Taylor (Parra midget fullback) was one of the best so was Michael Speechley (sic) slight of frame guys but hardly missed a tackle on the big forwards, these days you have players trying to hold up a player for as long as possible before putting him on the ground and "turtling" him just to slow down the ruck and for the defense to get set, if Dufty, Field and the others should just take the legs out of the opponent as they dont have the strength to hold players up, should get them to watch Steve Mortimer cover tackles as well..