What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trainers on the field

edabomb

First Grade
Yeah, at least you owned up to it. Still waiting for the lollipoping media and fans todo likewise. Or post the link, happy either way.

I can't really find the rule that does apply to that scenario. I know it has been that way when it has hit the ref in the past - but the wording is very important as everywhere else in international rules refers to refs, touchies and spectators. A trainer is none of these things.

Vee

First Grade
I can't really find the rule that does apply to that scenario. I know it has been that way when it has hit the ref in the past - but the wording is very important as everywhere else in international rules refers to refs, touchies and spectators. A trainer is none of these things.
My point exactly. The nrl asleep at the wheel after years of complaints about alf on the field in retirement playing more minutes than most players.

Uncle Kraka

Juniors
I remember a cricket test match years ago where there was a wicket in the first or second over of the game. when the new batter was coming out, the bloke carrying the drinks was running out also. Umpires quickly gave him his marching orders and when asked about it after the days play they said there was absolutely no need for them to be out there so they were sent back. Same should apply in the nrl. If a player wants a drink they can wait till a try is scored or risk being a man down while they run to the sideline to grab a water bottle.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think if the ball hits a teams trainer it should be a hand over/6 to go to the other side. Obviously this rule is for things like refs and @Tommy Smith running on the field to give boyd cordner a hug and not for things the teams can control like the f**king trainers they put there.

edabomb

First Grade
I think if the ball hits a teams trainer it should be a hand over/6 to go to the other side. Obviously this rule is for things like refs and @Tommy Smith running on the field to give boyd cordner a hug and not for things the teams can control like the f**king trainers they put there.

The trainer is more like a 14th man. Should be a penalty.

greenBV4

Bench
Annesley just said the attacking is the team with the greatest territory advantage.
So if someone has the ball in there hands inside there own 50 and is running at a wall of people trying to stop you getting through, the person running forwards is defending?? and the people trying to stop them are attacking?

sure, that makes sense
(not saying your wrong, its just stupid that that is the rule)

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The trainer is more like a 14th man. Should be a penalty.

I was thinking penalty when i wrote it. Its certainly something i could go with. Even if there was no real advantage like say hodgson passes from dummy half and it hits a trainer parked out the back and we just pick up the ball and the ref ignores it. Its still messy and unnecessary for a trainer to be there in the first place.

Im not opposed to players getting drinks but in the 3rd minute wtf

Mr Spock!

Referee
Yep, clearly a case of making it up as you go.

And is a stupid (non)rule.

MilkShark

First Grade
So if someone has the ball in there hands inside there own 50 and is running at a wall of people trying to stop you getting through, the person running forwards is defending?? and the people trying to stop them are attacking?

sure, that makes sense
Yeah it’s bullshit.

Mr Spock!

Referee

sure, that makes sense
Yeah that's been in the rulebook for however long eg if the ball hits the ref, its a scrum with loose head and feed to the ATTACKING team ie the one attacking in that half of the field.

Trainers apparenlty aren't mentioned.

skeepe

Immortal

sure, that makes sense

As ridiculous as it sounds, that’s correct.