What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

taipan

Referee
I can tell you now afls school ozkick program shits all over the nonexistent nrl school program.

AFL was next to zero when I played in the public school system.So it wasn't an issue then

I agree it does crap all over the RL offering at present.Although I have to disagree with it's(NRL) non existent.
Kids I know in both state and Catholic schools in the Shire, became interested in the NRL in teh last two years, due to school visits there.One the youngest in one family in fact whose other two brothers played AFL.He loves tackling.
This is why it's important that V'Landys maintains the Sydney clubs and pushes grassroots assistance.
He has played the game in Wollongong from a kid upwards.

Mr Spock!

Referee
AFL was next to zero when I played in the public school system.So it wasn't an issue then

I agree it does crap all over the RL offering at present.Although I have to disagree with it's(NRL) non existent.
Kids I know in both state and Catholic schools in the Shire, became interested in the NRL in teh last two years, due to school visits there.One the youngest in one family in fact whose other two brothers played AFL.He loves tackling.
This is why it's important that V'Landys maintains the Sydney clubs and pushes grassroots assistance.
He has played the game in Wollongong from a kid upwards.

I'm in regional Qld (former league stronghold) and I've hardly seen an nrl development officer in 20+ years.

The AFL bloke is here every year running after school programs for around 2 months at a time and does AFL lessons during PE for a couple of weeks.

In fact we had an interschool rugby league comp for 6 weeks which involved 8 schools (around 30 teams playing) and the only time we saw the nrl development officer was on the grand final.

Mr Spock!

Referee
They had $25m in the Bank ,when they expanded.And they blew the lot when they had to fight a rearguard action toward of News Ltd.
News funded Adelaide,and Melbourne.
Bearing in mind, when the two comps rejoined in 1998 ,contracts for players involved in bothy had to be paid until the SL war deals ended.
Also noting the NRL did not pay for accommodation or transport for the Reds ,they had to absorb the costs which made it prohibitive.
And money paid to players pre 1997, was minimal compared to what they have earned since 1996/7
And compare the rights from 96/97 to today. Packer got the pay TV rights for 1 million a season (a steal) which set off the Superleague War.

taipan

Referee
I'm in regional Qld (former league stronghold) and I've hardly seen an nrl development officer in 20+ years.

The AFL bloke is here every year running after school programs for around 2 months at a time and does AFL lessons during PE for a couple of weeks.

In fact we had an interschool rugby league comp for 6 weeks which involved 8 schools (around 30 teams playing) and the only time we saw the nrl development officer was on the grand final.

Thus we can only discuss areas we know about.That's why I don't like to generalise generalise and say no one visits, because in my area they do.
It still gets back to head office, and the state bodies ,and that's why it's important that V'landys gets people off their a*ses to preform these tasks.
I'm not arguing the point that the NRL is miles behind the AFL, when it comes to development work ,because it clearly is.

taipan

Referee
And compare the rights from 96/97 to today. Packer got the pay TV rights for 1 million a season (a steal) which set off the Superleague War.

AlL I know Packer stole the rights,News stole the game, we gave AFL a great leg up in the Nthn States,and the result was all the money the ARL had in their coffers est $25m, was blown out the window, and fans left the game disillusioned.
And ATT we had players like Steve Edmed reportedly on $800k pa during the SL war, and we wonder why grassroots development now and then was/is hit and miss.
We were crapping all over the AFL prior to 1995 with expansion,Tina Turner,money in the Bank ,then greed via Murdoch set in, and every b*gger was in it for his slice of the big dollars.
Look at the money players are on today, yet crowds are basically static.

We can't change the past, it was a clusterf*ck.The admin under V'landys has to take advantage of new technologies, improve infrastructure for clubs, expand the game, quadruple their development work and screw the Tv stations on the next TV deal.If they don't, it will continue just to mark time.

super_coach

First Grade
I hope Peter V knows what he is getting into. The game is on the nose and for a million reasons but 99% of the problems lay at the feet of the NRL. The NRL at present is controlled by a few self interested people who could not give a dam about most of the clubs.

I read today that Greenberg is in line for a 250,000 bonus. It is just a gravy train for a lot of under performing people. I doubt the game will last more than 15 years the way it is going.

Anyway Greenberg has to be the first person out the door..followed by plenty of others

axl rose

Bench
I read today that Greenberg is in line for a 250,000 bonus. It is just a gravy train for a lot of under performing people. I doubt the game will last more than 15 years the way it is going.

Updated report today that Greenberg will donate that money towards junior development and the local orphanage.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope Peter V knows what he is getting into. The game is on the nose and for a million reasons but 99% of the problems lay at the feet of the NRL. The NRL at present is controlled by a few self interested people who could not give a dam about most of the clubs.

Anyway Greenberg has to be the first person out the door..followed by plenty of others

crowds static, memberships down, tv audiences down, no expansion, off season from hell. Todd clearly meeting his kpi’s lol

bazza

Immortal
Thus we can only discuss areas we know about.That's why I don't like to generalise generalise and say no one visits, because in my area they do.
It still gets back to head office, and the state bodies ,and that's why it's important that V'landys gets people off their a*ses to preform these tasks.
I'm not arguing the point that the NRL is miles behind the AFL, when it comes to development work ,because it clearly is.
Has V'landys get much experience building a grass roots scheme to promote the sport through schools during his time at racing NSW?

taipan

Referee
Has V'landys get much experience building a grass roots scheme to promote the sport through schools during his time at racing NSW?

He's played the code from his early years as an immigrant child to seniors the Illawarra.
Why would he have been involved in grassroots rugby league whilst at Racing NSW.

He doesn't have to have grassroots development experience in rugby league,he has the authority to ensure those who do have that experience do just that.That means he won't put up with poor performers
who don't get off their butts and perform.

And his remit I'd suggest would be to ensure there is money available to do that.

Playing the code at many junior levels, at least gives someone an idea of the problems and needs that are involved.
It's up to him and his board to ensure there is the money available via TV deals etc,to ensure it can be put to better use, than it is now.

taipan

Referee
What makes you say that besides hope?

He doesn't like waste,Beattie liked to flash the cash to clubs. Also he was tight with money.For example the Everest prize money is not all from revenue by attendances and sponsor.
What he's done is make the entrants pay each $600kpa for 3 years for the privilege to compete.That means 12 x$600k=$.72m.The prize is $12m.

Perth Red

Post Whore
they actually had record origin ratings and good tv viewers but okay

One of the lowest gf audiences on record, overall audiences down 6%, origin down 4% on 2018. Memberships down 4,000, crowd avg down 130 per game.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach

Latest posts